2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1jcw
f1jcw

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

SmallSoldier wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 23:44
AeroDynamic wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 21:58
SmallSoldier wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 21:43

Why FIA is addressing Massi? Because he is at the center of the polemic behind the Abu Dhabi race, which has had a lot of backlash from fans… The fact that the FIA is reviewing the situation and the decisions he made during that race of course will include his job as Race Director, they are addressing that and rightfully so.

The fact that Hamilton simply decided he was going to take time off from the Media (been sport or social) is completely different… The speculation on his continuation in the sport was created by the media, the Team nor Hamilton have a need to address it.

There no parallels among both situations… But, it’s clear that you think that Mercedes has to address it and they disagree with you (and in reality, they have, just not the way you want it?).
The media no doubt fuelled the ambiguous insinuations by Mercedes and Hamilton but the latter definitely knew what they were doing in front of the media when said the things they have said and didn’t say. I.e.

“We’ll see about next year”

Along with Wolff inferring Hamilton may not continue “I hope he does”

Why would you need to see about the rest of your contract, or hope your driver continues, if the situation isn’t wide open about your driver continuing or not? Everyone would know why after the protests. So, I think it’s a bit of a cop out to blame the media for this speculation.

They should come out and address it.

Yes the FIA situation isn’t identical, but the parallel is, they didn’t need to address speculation about Masi because they didn’t make an official announcement about firing him or keeping him on. They just said he may not continue as race director, just like Hamilton and Mercedes have refused to rule out retirement for Hamilton when they declined to comment.

But yes in my opinion, they should address it after allowing all that speculation to play into their hand that they themselves encouraged. When the opportunity presents itself.

If you know your driver is racing with you next year, you don’t decline to comment or say “I hope so” you come out and say “no lewis will be racing with us next year” :lol:
All part of the political theater post Abu Dhabi… Nothing more, nothing else…

Again, there is Nothing to Address… Nothing owed to anyone… Nothing to “clarify”…

And the Tweet today is more than enough confirmation that he will race this year.
Nothing to address? Really? FIA representative breaking his own rules to decide the winner of the 2021 sec is nothing?
Don’t think a sport needs rules that are not made up on the fly and the representatives follow those.

Otherwise, might aswell just play blackjack for the winner

Jolle
Jolle

nevill3 wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 22:59
zibby43 wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 22:29

Common sense alone dictated Hamilton would be racing once we got to January 1 with no announcements.

Merc wasn’t going to just let Lewis leave them hanging while they continued to develop a 2022 car tailored to both his physical and driving needs.
Does anybody know if there will be any compromise required due to George being so much taller than Lewis?
If you would as an engineer, fitting a human in anything is one big compromise.
Knowing the size and fit of the drivers gives them a framework to engineer around. Don’t know if there is an extra compromise. Maybe Bottas’ butt was wider then both of them, so win some space, loose some?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

f1jcw wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 01:54
SmallSoldier wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 23:44
AeroDynamic wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 21:58

The media no doubt fuelled the ambiguous insinuations by Mercedes and Hamilton but the latter definitely knew what they were doing in front of the media when said the things they have said and didn’t say. I.e.

“We’ll see about next year”

Along with Wolff inferring Hamilton may not continue “I hope he does”

Why would you need to see about the rest of your contract, or hope your driver continues, if the situation isn’t wide open about your driver continuing or not? Everyone would know why after the protests. So, I think it’s a bit of a cop out to blame the media for this speculation.

They should come out and address it.

Yes the FIA situation isn’t identical, but the parallel is, they didn’t need to address speculation about Masi because they didn’t make an official announcement about firing him or keeping him on. They just said he may not continue as race director, just like Hamilton and Mercedes have refused to rule out retirement for Hamilton when they declined to comment.

But yes in my opinion, they should address it after allowing all that speculation to play into their hand that they themselves encouraged. When the opportunity presents itself.

If you know your driver is racing with you next year, you don’t decline to comment or say “I hope so” you come out and say “no lewis will be racing with us next year” :lol:
All part of the political theater post Abu Dhabi… Nothing more, nothing else…

Again, there is Nothing to Address… Nothing owed to anyone… Nothing to “clarify”…

And the Tweet today is more than enough confirmation that he will race this year.
Nothing to address? Really? FIA representative breaking his own rules to decide the winner of the 2021 sec is nothing?
Don’t think a sport needs rules that are not made up on the fly and the representatives follow those.

Otherwise, might aswell just play blackjack for the winner
Have you read the conversation? I’ve never said anything in regards to FIA (actually, my argument was that the FIA has to address the speculations)… But, Hamilton and Mercedes don’t need to address rumors that he was going to quit F1 due to the result of that race or why he (Lewis) was not making any statements (to the media or social media)… That doesn’t need to be addressed in an official manner.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Jolle wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 03:06
nevill3 wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

Common sense alone dictated Hamilton would be racing once we got to January 1 with no announcements.

Merc wasn’t going to just let Lewis leave them hanging while they continued to develop a 2022 car tailored to both his physical and driving needs.
Does anybody know if there will be any compromise required due to George being so much taller than Lewis?
Knowing the size and fit of the drivers gives them a framework to engineer around. Don’t know if there is an extra compromise. Maybe Bottas’ butt was wider then both of them, so win some space, loose some?

Well, in an sport were every mm counts… If George is taller than both Lewis and Bottas, they will have to extend the tub (make it longer than it was) for him and that is a compromise versus previous iterations of the car… I’m sure that designers prefer drivers like Yuki that have an smaller footprint

dans79

SmallSoldier wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 03:22
But, Hamilton and Mercedes don’t need to address rumors that he was going to quit F1 due to the result of that race or why he (Lewis) was not making any statements (to the media or social media)… That doesn’t need to be addressed in an official manner.
Personally, I wouldn't call social media posts an official means of addressing anything. I've seen sports teams officially address (official press release) stuff way more benign than rumors that the top athlete of his generation is retiring. Baseball is probably the worst about it. Tl;dr, people address whatever they think is relevant.
201 105 104 9 9 7

Big Tea

Jolle wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 03:06
nevill3 wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

I see the 'problem area' here as the section below the 'dashboard'. You can allow for leg length by moving the peddles forward, which are restricted to behind a set point and some will have to be used for foot length, moving the seat back, which is -complicated-, or bending the knees, which seems to be the easiest option.
There is still the requirement to get out of the car in 5 seconds, and the ability to remove the seat with the driver 'attached' so this may even need a larger opening in the tub.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

George is the outlier in the team's drivers in terms of height. It might just mean that he ends up having to sit a little higher in the car than Hamilton or the two reserve drivers (Vandoorne and DeVries). The team won't want to compromise the front end of the tub because it affects the nose and has an aero effect on the rest of the car. George will probably have to be slightly more bent in the knee and be slightly higher in the car. Or maybe packaging George is actually easy and the others will just end up with some space in front of their pedals.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ringo

Ryar wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 08:08
ringo wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 06:38
Lewis is back on instagram.
He didnt say he was back to racing.

But i feel redbull want him to be back. They want a benchmark to race the right wY this time.
I thought the fuss was all about him missing from Instagram world, didn't know it inferred, it had something to do with leaving racing.

I agree that RB needs a good reference. Alpine should build a winner first.
Why Alpine? do you mean Ocon?
For Sure!!

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

AFAIK When he drove the W11 they said the problem was the size of his feet, I think they said in future they would have to make the pedal box bigger if he was going to drive for the team full time. Since he was confirmed as a team member last year they probably accounted for his big feet when they were putting together the W13.

Schuttelberg

Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 23:28
Schuttelberg wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 21:52
Looks like the melodrama is nearing it's end.
mediadrama. It's the media that stoked it up to be something it wasn't. :wink:
You clearly didn't hear Toto Wolff blackmail the FIA and F1 in public domain.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

siskue2005

Schuttelberg wrote:
09 Feb 2022, 15:55
Just_a_fan wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
Yes, no body heard it...could u please enlighten us. Thank you

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Schuttelberg wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
Blackmail? What blackmail was this? :?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

Schuttelberg wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
Interesting. Did he threaten to release dark secrets held by the FIA?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

JPower
JPower

Schuttelberg wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
That's news to me.

Henri
Henri

Can't wait to see the car running