McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mcjamweasel

Re: McLaren MCL36

Surely I can't be the only one to see it?

Holm86

mcjamweasel wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 01:45
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FLWn_ibXsAA ... ame=medium

Nope, I said that already after the test late last year when they showed the spec wheels.
Maybe if they tried a different colour than black, it would look better

Zynerji

Holm86 wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 02:01
mcjamweasel wrote:

Nope, I said that already after the test late last year when they showed the spec wheels.
Let's see when AT brings out the matte white ones🤣.

Holm86

Zynerji wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 02:04
Holm86 wrote:
mcjamweasel wrote:

I honestly hope they do :D

Zynerji

Holm86 wrote:
Zynerji wrote:
Holm86 wrote:

I honestly hope they do :D
10 points if someone chromes them!🤣🤣🤣

ferkan
ferkan

Looks real nice to me. The more you look at it, the more minute details you can see. Nice to see Mclaren mixing it up completely with new regs (push/pull rod at back and front).

Still wondering why are they taking pictures of their new cars from an angle above, because it gives illusion of even slimmer rear? Might be, but it certainly looks narrow.

LM10
LM10

3rd car, 3rd clearly different concept. We’re seeing more divergence than last year, totally contrary to what was being expected. =D>

mwillems

It's certainly a nice looking car and it will be interesting to see how the suspension layout works on track, particularly with the need to keep that floor sealed as much as possible. The ride of the car will be extremely important, especially over kerbs and bumps.

I see some remarks and the car being very clean, but I suspect there is going to be a lot to come in the tests and then the first race. The cooling looks nicely packaged and the car looks very slim at the back, and in fact in the middle! Here's hoping Mclarens individual approach and focus on getting air to the rear and to the floor is the right way to go. But it has be balanced against a car that rides well against the road, because the closer the car can get to the ground and be stable is as important as getting extra airflow to the key aerodynamic areas front and rear.

Given the rumours that have whirled around about other cars such as the RB being already just as fast as last year, it is reassuring to see the Mclaren team being quite bullish about what they have produced, whilst also keeping expectations under check.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

djos

IMO the car looks amazing, I just hope it’s consistently top 3 material.
"In downforce we trust"

pierrre
pierrre

interesting that mclaren has gone the opposite route with their inboard suspension linkages...from front to rear with push-rod and pull-rod to 2022's front to rear pull-rod and push-rod.

its rear push-rod may be attributed to that raised side pod exit where that designs ask for a narrow section below the side pod exit and above the diffuser so they could bring more air towards the lower rear double wing element. the push-rod could mean that the mcl36's rear suspension components are not as low as possible unlike the pull rods before it where the suspension components is around the lower section of the gearbox, increasing the dimensions of that section. with the suspension components raised, the entire lower section's dimension can be at its most minimal, devoid of any rear suspension components and made to improve airflow instead

they moved the whole set up to work the winglet above the diffuser..maybe also targeted at scavenging the rear diffuser even more. whats clever about the set up is how they utilize space by targeting the side pod exit towards that open section below the main rear wing and above the wings below it

the raised section also flow well from the halo rearwards

djos

Considering heavy inerters j-dampers are banned this year, the weight Is not as big an issue imo.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

I think that Maclaren have taken the better route for cooling than AM. According to Kyle (ex Mercedes aero engineer), the flow from the louvres will be harder to control.

See around the 16 minute mark:

"In downforce we trust"

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

The MCL36 will have small cooling gills alongside the cockpit (though, not showed in the renders or the launch car).

Also, an small cooling opening below the main one

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

SmallSoldier wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 00:03
Nice comparison image to the Aston Martin:

https://i.imgur.com/pa4ajME.jpg
One interesting thing to note about the comparison to the Aston Martin is that McLaren seems to have decided to have the cockpit farther from the front wheels, reducing the length of the tunnels (considering that the distance between axles)… Giving priority to managing the wake of the front tires versus additional downforce from the Venturi Tunnels (not that surprising considering that the distance to the front tires was the culprit of the MCL33’s lack of performance).

the EDGE
the EDGE

SmallSoldier wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 06:49
The MCL36 will have small cooling gills alongside the cockpit (though, not showed in the renders or the launch car).

Also, an small cooling opening below the main one

https://i.imgur.com/HGNzYhW.jpg
That will dependent on ambient temperature race to race. No different from any other year or car