McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: McLaren MCL36

PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 19:15
trinidefender wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 16:11
As well as the front being a pullrod it is also a multi link setup with the lower arms connecting to the hub separately instead of as a wishbone.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FLYeOmfXMAE ... name=large
Multi-link on the lower arms will change the camber when the wheels are steered.
That might be too finicky for the engineers to set-up so, unless it has massive benefits, I doubt it. :idea:
Well, if someone could dial a finicky suspension… It would be F1 engineers 🥸

NicoS

Mchamilton wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 20:03
NicoS wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 19:41
DiogoBrand wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 19:36

What's curious is that they've created all those rules to minimize outwash, but looking at that front wing it seems to bme that the outwash may be even more aggressive than last year. I wonder what that tape is for, though. I don't think it manages to hide anything.
Yes, I think the "technical" "working" "group" have missed the ball totally.
They played on-side, but ball went Leg-side!
I do not think the inefficient rear wing and toy front wing will improve "following" of in front car!
I think it will make more troubles for following!
You do realise they had access to the immense computing power at AWS and were able to run 2 car simulations to actually check their theory in practice. Im sure they know a bit better than us all on here.
Yes, but bad engineers can still make extremely poor decisions no matter what tools they have at their disposal.
We will wait and see, to me I do not see any "aerodynamicist" ever creating "wing like we have in F1 now, It's an abortion, too "starwars"! No wing might have been a better option...

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Stu wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 17:41
timbo wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 17:29
trinidefender wrote:
As well as the front being a pullrod it is also a multi link setup with the lower arms connecting to the hub separately instead of as a wishbone.

Oh, this front wing is totally different from the render!
And at the outside it really minimises the effect of the slots at the base of the end-plate. They are maximising outwash here.
The slots have been covered by tape / a sheet of carbon-look cloth. You can see where it just drapes over the first slot gap. If you were going to mould this area, you wouldn't do it like that. I think they're just hiding the little detail they have there in that area.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Tim.Wright

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Multi-link on the lower arms will change the camber when the wheels are steered.
That might be too finicky for the engineers to set-up so, unless it has massive benefits, I doubt it. :idea:
From what I remember, a semi-virtual like this will reduce the caster angle and trail as it steers so it will probably have less camber change (due to steer) than a normal double wishbone.
Not the engineer at Force India

Shrieker

It do be sexy.

Gonna grab an orange. Brb.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

f1motta
f1motta

The reason of tiny brake ducts?

Blackout

2021 front ducts were like 20% for cooling, and 80% for blowing air outboard.
Blowing is more or less outlawed now, so ducts can be 80% smaller.
And the Mclaren seems to have additional inlets hidden between the tire and the vertical deflector, like some older cars
https://cdn-wp.thesportsrush.com/2020/0 ... 05.280.jpg
Last edited by Blackout on 12 Feb 2022, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.

McFAN
McFAN

JordanMugen

Thunder wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 15:05

Thats quite an extensive cover over the rear Floor. (last Picture) :shock:
Sneaky! Was the cover as obvious on the outward facing side?

What are McLaren hiding? Just their diffuser profile? :?:

Blackout

Another view at the rear end :-k

RZS10

The pushrod?

pierrre
pierrre

very steeply angled rear wing elements that sits just above the diffuser, a push-rod set up being the obvious choice....their intent is far more advanced than the other cars that have already been launched, especially the red bull

DiogoBrand

pierrre wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 23:48
very steeply angled rear wing elements that sits just above the diffuser, a push-rod set up being the obvious choice....their intent is far more advanced than the other cars that have already been launched, especially the red bull

https://scontent.fbki2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=620DE76F
The Red Bull car hasn't been launched yet.

PlatinumZealot

Tim.Wright wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 21:20
PlatinumZealot wrote:
From what I remember, a semi-virtual like this will reduce the caster angle and trail as it steers so it will probably have less camber change (due to steer) than a normal double wishbone.

Yeah. That! I actually meant to say caster. Not sure how camber was typed. ( brain fart)

With an extra arm you have two pivots now and but each arm will try to move on its own arc, givine the hub a bit of twist in the vertical axis as they try to do so the arm that is more swept back will affect the caster more.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

timbo
timbo

Stu wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 17:41
timbo wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 17:29
trinidefender wrote:

Oh, this front wing is totally different from the render!
And at the outside it really minimises the effect of the slots at the base of the end-plate. They are maximising outwash here.
Yes, pushing the available area to a limit. I wonder if FIA may intervene in the next iteration of the rules if teams manage to get much more outwash than what was envisioned.