McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
trinidefender
trinidefender

Re: McLaren MCL36

Tim.Wright wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 21:20
PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 19:15
Multi-link on the lower arms will change the camber when the wheels are steered.
That might be too finicky for the engineers to set-up so, unless it has massive benefits, I doubt it. :idea:
From what I remember, a semi-virtual like this will reduce the caster angle and trail as it steers so it will probably have less camber change (due to steer) than a normal double wishbone.
Is this good or bad?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Stu wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 15:06
SmallSoldier wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 22:39
AeroDynamic wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 22:28

Look at the gap between the rear face of the top front wing planes to the front face of the front tyres. The gap between the Aston Martin wing and its front tyres is bigger than that of the McLaren. Maybe the nose is shorter? or.. the front wing is bigger in depth?
https://i.imgur.com/wnZrd7I.jpg
Since the distance between axles is fixed, if the front wing is closer to the front tires, the rear will be farther away (and vice versa)

(Not to scale):

https://i.imgur.com/kKO8CMX.jpg
The wheelbase is not fixed. There are upper limits (3600mm), but they can go shorter. I think that there is also a lower limit, but need to check.
Lower limit is 3460mm

Emag
Emag

This is more of a general question, but with cars now relying even more on ground effect, are softer suspensions better for aero stability? I guess the floor is much more sensitive now and sudden jumps may cause temporary downforce losses. I was thinking maybe a chassis that moves less is better for this purpose, but I guess you can't go too soft because you lose a lot of mechanical grip as well.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:
13 Feb 2022, 01:24
This is more of a general question, but with cars now relying even more on ground effect, are softer suspensions better for aero stability? I guess the floor is much more sensitive now and sudden jumps may cause temporary downforce losses. I was thinking maybe a chassis that moves less is better for this purpose, but I guess you can't go too soft because you lose a lot of mechanical grip as well.
The cars generate so much downforce that a soft suspension would probably make them very hard to control, not only from a driver perspective, but from an aero map perspective… They would roll and pitch more and you would lose a lot of the aero stability… Suspensions will be potentially softer to compensate for the smaller sidewalls on the tires, but it would be as rigid in general terms… Kerbs will be the enemy of this new platform

DiogoBrand

Emag wrote:
Compared to last year I'd guess the suspensions most likely will be softer simply because the tyre sidewalls are lower this time.
If we leave this aspect aside and consider what suspension travel is better simply because of the aero, it's hard for me to guess, but if we consider the low front wings, the high rakes some teams used and all the appendages necessary to generate downforce from a flat floor, if I had to guess I'd think last year's regulations would ask for less suspension travel, but I may very well have this completely backwards.

MrGapes

According to Motorsport Italia RedBull have also gone with rear push rod.

GTO99

mcjamweasel wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 01:45
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FLWn_ibXsAA ... ame=medium

Surely I can't be the only one to see it?
What is the advantage of this wheel design vs the old spoked style?

McFAN
McFAN

Interesting analysis

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

GTO99 wrote:
13 Feb 2022, 02:04
mcjamweasel wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 01:45
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FLWn_ibXsAA ... ame=medium

Surely I can't be the only one to see it?
What is the advantage of this wheel design vs the old spoked style?
It's not an advantage, it's a regulation requirement. The rules require this type of aero facing to the wheels now. It's part of the FIA's programme to make the cars more able to follow each other.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Macklaren
Macklaren

DiogoBrand wrote:
13 Feb 2022, 01:40
Emag wrote:
Compared to last year I'd guess the suspensions most likely will be softer simply because the tyre sidewalls are lower this time.
If we leave this aspect aside and consider what suspension travel is better simply because of the aero, it's hard for me to guess, but if we consider the low front wings, the high rakes some teams used and all the appendages necessary to generate downforce from a flat floor, if I had to guess I'd think last year's regulations would ask for less suspension travel, but I may very well have this completely backwards.
Everything I have read in the last 48 hours indicates the opposite. These cars are going to handle like go-karts and be incredibly stiff with no ability to ride the kerbs. Daniel has been talking about the cars giving drivers headaches.

I wonder if that plays into Newey's hands given his history of making extremely stiff cars for Mclaren and Red Bull

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Macklaren wrote:
13 Feb 2022, 02:12
DiogoBrand wrote:
13 Feb 2022, 01:40
Emag wrote:
Everything I have read in the last 48 hours indicates the opposite. These cars are going to handle like go-karts and be incredibly stiff with no ability to ride the kerbs. Daniel has been talking about the cars giving drivers headaches.

I wonder if that plays into Newey's hands given his history of making extremely stiff cars for Mclaren and Red Bull
I don’t think Newey designed the suspension though… If anything, it will be interesting how the likes of Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari will deal with the new suspension rules, a big part of their advantage over the field was due to mechanical grip and some of the tricks they used are probably not usable this time around.

Tim.Wright

trinidefender wrote:
13 Feb 2022, 00:43
Tim.Wright wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 21:20
PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 19:15
Multi-link on the lower arms will change the camber when the wheels are steered.
That might be too finicky for the engineers to set-up so, unless it has massive benefits, I doubt it. :idea:
From what I remember, a semi-virtual like this will reduce the caster angle and trail as it steers so it will probably have less camber change (due to steer) than a normal double wishbone.
Is this good or bad?
Apart from acheiving a higher level of Ackermann at full lock it generally has disadvantages because the caster trail drastically reduces on the outer wheel and that's not good for steering feeling.
Not the engineer at Force India

McFAN
McFAN

It's vastly different to the renders.

mclaren111

Quite a "lip" at the front of the FW... See previous photo from McFAN for a closer look...

Blackout

Regarding rear suspension integration, it wont be that hard to put the suspension elements inside the 'bell housing' IMO. This old Bar Honda Gbox has done it, and only the heave damper stayed outside.
https://i.imgur.com/85K4JOR.jpg
@DawnTreaderEng

Yes the turbine will occupy a big part of that space. But take a look at this 2014 Lotus gearbox. It's bell housing had to host a full turbo, not just a turbine, but still, the suspension elements (missing here) sat behind the turbine and exhaust pipes.
https://i.imgur.com/85K4JOR.jpg
The split turbo obviously needs a smaller recess in the bell housing, so the inboard suspensions should have more space :)