McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
pierrre
pierrre

Re: McLaren MCL36

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
13 Feb 2022, 20:00
No, the last thing we need is more weight. There’s a reason no race car out there uses active suspension, and it’s not just regulations.
there is an evolution to the 2022 regulations that would have the cars weight limit reduced....2025 was it?

PlatinumZealot

I expect the siffer tyres to make up for the suspension stiffness. Actually I think last years cars needed finer rider height contriol than this years. Yes. I am sticking my neck out. These tunnels cannot bottom out becuase of their design. And they actually have a slight skirting on their edge. The wheels are bigger so I see curb riding will be less bouncy too. Sticking my neck out and saying the guys will be riding curbs just as hard as before!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

cooken
cooken

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 02:28
I expect the siffer tyres to make up for the suspension stiffness. Actually I think last years cars needed finer rider height contriol than this years. Yes. I am sticking my neck out. These tunnels cannot bottom out becuase of their design. And they actually have a slight skirting on their edge. The wheels are bigger so I see curb riding will be less bouncy too. Sticking my neck out and saying the guys will be riding curbs just as hard as before!
If ride heights are low enough then could damage to the strakes etc keep them off the kerbs? Otherwise I'd tend to agree. Still expecting lots of clever tricks and rule bending despite the tighter regs.

e30ernest
e30ernest

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 02:28
I don't know... I think the lower profile tires coupled with the lower ride height would see the opposite. It is expected the cars will be running really low this year (lots of sparks yay!) so with the reduced suspension travel coupled with the lower profile tires, you'd get a lot less shock absorption. The old tires were pretty much balloons and absorbed a lot of shock.

With a lot of downforce on these cars being generated by the floor, I think they will be very sensitive to damage. I think the drivers will be avoiding the kerbs both to avoid car damage, and to preserve their bums/spine too.

Chuckjr

Big Tea wrote:
13 Feb 2022, 22:50
It has probably been asked somewhere and I missed the answer, but would stiff suspension be an advantage or disadvantage with ground effect?

I get that the car needs to be closest to the ground, but does it not also need a consistent gar, especially consistent side to side? The old cars had skirts to stop leakage (or slippage, what ever the term is), but that is not allowed now, so every time a wheel goes on a kerb, or one corner is lifted, the downforce becomes unbalanced?
Especially in a crosswind ow when the angle is changing as it would on a corner?
I asked about this directly in the aero thread. You may want to check out the answers as they were insightful.

viewtopic.php?t=28009&start=1845
Watching F1 since 1986.

NiyolHuayra
NiyolHuayra

Soooo... the floor of the car on launch day was covered :D Sneaky McLaren :D

Stu

NiyolHuayra wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 08:49
https://i.redd.it/alksh6ohqkh81.jpg

The tunnel exits were also blocked.
Lots of ‘bits’ missing from the physical launch car 😁
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Height of the front wing seems similar between McLaren and Aston. It may seem higher on the Aston Martin because their middle is raised from the minimal height while McLaren keeps it low.

ajprice
ajprice

FittingMechanics wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 12:05
https://i.imgur.com/X4SzlzF.png

Height of the front wing seems similar between McLaren and Aston. It may seem higher on the Aston Martin because their middle is raised from the minimal height while McLaren keeps it low.
In the rules are the 'endplate' fins a regulation height and position but the wing height between them is variable within a legal area? That would explain the Aston having a higher wing but looking the same from side on.

wowgr8
wowgr8

Stu wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 09:40
NiyolHuayra wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 08:49
https://i.redd.it/alksh6ohqkh81.jpg

The tunnel exits were also blocked.
Lots of ‘bits’ missing from the physical launch car 😁
What could they be hiding in the tunnel exits? Isn't that area really barren anyway? Or are the strakes allowed?

Big Tea

Chuckjr wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 05:39
Big Tea wrote:
It has probably been asked somewhere and I missed the answer, but would stiff suspension be an advantage or disadvantage with ground effect?

I get that the car needs to be closest to the ground, but does it not also need a consistent gar, especially consistent side to side? The old cars had skirts to stop leakage (or slippage, what ever the term is), but that is not allowed now, so every time a wheel goes on a kerb, or one corner is lifted, the downforce becomes unbalanced?
Especially in a crosswind ow when the angle is changing as it would on a corner?
I asked about this directly in the aero thread. You may want to check out the answers as they were insightful.

Ah, thanks. I thought it would be here somewhere, but when things get technical I tend to gloss over initially, intending to go back, but usually forget. I dont feel I should be playing with the big boys in aero threads.
Gheers.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

NicoS

Big Tea wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 15:03
Chuckjr wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 05:39
Big Tea wrote:

Ah, thanks. I thought it would be here somewhere, but when things get technical I tend to gloss over initially, intending to go back, but usually forget. I dont feel I should be playing with the big boys in aero threads.
Gheers.
:shock: Don't worry there are no "big boys" here on aero thread, it's a forum, and on forums, all of us have opinion and and every opinion carries exactly same weight.
We learn through dialog and sharing of opinion! :)

Thunder

So i just moved a whole bunch of Posts to the AT03 Speculation Thread. Nut sure why we're discussing AT03 renders and "maybe's" on the RB18 in the MCL 36 Thread. :wtf:
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Mclarenfanboy
Mclarenfanboy

So, looking at 4 cars that are already presented ,and being a super super amateur regarding aerodynamics and vehicle suspension geometry, McLaren got it really, really right, or it will be a painful year... :( :shock: :D
Smells like 2009 and 2013 to me. :shock: :shock: :lol:

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

When I first saw the car, I really thought it looked bulky but looks can be deceiving. Right now I think that the car is really slim compared to the other cars. It is just not that obvious because they do not have an undercut so your mind think the car is wider than it is (as wide as the floor) when in fact it is much slimmer.

Btw for what it's worth, Alpha Tauri has even bigger cannon exhaust than McLaren.