McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Pandamasque

Re: McLaren MCL36

Mclarenfanboy wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 20:02
So, looking at 4 cars that are already presented ,and being a super super amateur regarding aerodynamics and vehicle suspension geometry, McLaren got it really, really right, or it will be a painful year... :( :shock: :D
Smells like 2009 and 2013 to me. :shock: :shock: :lol:
Every expert I've seen says push/pull rod will not be a game changer either way.

_cerber1

Don't you think that McLaren is diligently cleaning this area, removing everything unnecessary from the path of air movement?

nevill3

Pandamasque wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 20:45
Mclarenfanboy wrote:
So, looking at 4 cars that are already presented ,and being a super super amateur regarding aerodynamics and vehicle suspension geometry, McLaren got it really, really right, or it will be a painful year... :( :shock: :D
Every expert I've seen says push/pull rod will not be a game changer either way.
This reminds me of the "blocking" rear suspension they had a few years back. Experts were very non committal as to whether they were a golden bullet or a liability. Only time will tell and I for one am on tenterhooks, much like I was when the new turbo hybrid era started.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Motörhead
Motörhead

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 02:28
I expect the siffer tyres to make up for the suspension stiffness. Actually I think last years cars needed finer rider height contriol than this years. Yes. I am sticking my neck out. These tunnels cannot bottom out becuase of their design. And they actually have a slight skirting on their edge. The wheels are bigger so I see curb riding will be less bouncy too. Sticking my neck out and saying the guys will be riding curbs just as hard as before!
As far as riding curbs go, perhaps.
But…..
As soon as a driver puts his wheel over the edge of a sausage curb, then it’s goodnight Vienna. All the FWD floor fences will be wiped out as they run just above plank legality. That’s a whole lot of downforce lost. The tunnels will be fine, the fences not!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Mclarenfanboy wrote:
I actually have a lot of optimism regarding the new suspension in the MCL36… Reading and hearing what Key has to say in regards to the car, it seems that since Aero work on the cars was stopped in 2020, the Team dedicated themselves to work on the mechanical aspects of the car, specially the suspension (if I’m not wrong, he even made a comment that instead of the suspension following aero, in this case aero followed the suspension).

If my interpretation is right, the most worked part on the car has been it’s suspension, I doubt they got it wrong after almost two years of working on it.

Emag
Emag

SmallSoldier wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 22:35
Mclarenfanboy wrote:
I actually have a lot of optimism regarding the new suspension in the MCL36… Reading and hearing what Key has to say in regards to the car, it seems that since Aero work on the cars was stopped in 2020, the Team dedicated themselves to work on the mechanical aspects of the car, specially the suspension (if I’m not wrong, he even made a comment that instead of the suspension following aero, in this case aero followed the suspension).

If my interpretation is right, the most worked part on the car has been it’s suspension, I doubt they got it wrong after almost two years of working on it.
I mean, isn't the general consensus that what McLaren was lacking the most to the top teams was mechanical grip, particularly on low speed corners? Last year's car (but since 2019 to be honest), was really good in terms of peak downforce and general efficiency.

Makes sense to focus on your weaknesses.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 23:17
SmallSoldier wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 22:35
Mclarenfanboy wrote:
So, looking at 4 cars that are already presented ,and being a super super amateur regarding aerodynamics and vehicle suspension geometry, McLaren got it really, really right, or it will be a year... :( :shock: :D

I mean, isn't the general consensus that what McLaren was lacking the most to the top teams was mechanical grip, particularly on low speed corners? Last year's car (but since 2019 to be honest), was really good in terms of peak downforce and general efficiency.

Makes sense to focus on your weaknesses.

Absolutely! At the same time… You had a lot of time in 2020 that needed to focus on something and with aero not part of the problem, suspension made sense… Although, there was a lot of work to integrate the Mercedes PU in 2020 (and the changes to the floor), but glad to read that at least had a Team focused on the suspension part of the car looking at the new regulations!

mwillems

Motörhead wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 22:30
PlatinumZealot wrote:
I expect the siffer tyres to make up for the suspension stiffness. Actually I think last years cars needed finer rider height contriol than this years. Yes. I am sticking my neck out. These tunnels cannot bottom out becuase of their design. And they actually have a slight skirting on their edge. The wheels are bigger so I see curb riding will be less bouncy too. Sticking my neck out and saying the guys will be riding curbs just as hard as before!
But…..
As soon as a driver puts his wheel over the edge of a sausage curb, then it’s goodnight Vienna. All the FWD floor fences will be wiped out as they run just above plank legality. That’s a whole lot of downforce lost. The tunnels will be fine, the fences not!
If the suspension does end up being stiff then the setup will not be kerb friendly anyway as you'd bounce all over then, lose traction etc.

I do expect to see detailing and a little skirt and so crucial will be those areas that you xannot afford any damage there.

And I hope it is the case because that will also be a new way to enforce track limits.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

gcdugas

mwillems wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 05:35

If the suspension does end up being stiff then the setup will not be kerb friendly anyway as you'd bounce all over then, lose traction etc.

I do expect to see detailing and a little skirt and so crucial will be those areas that you cannot afford any damage there.

And I hope it is the case because that will also be a new way to enforce track limits.
Methinks they will lobby (whine like little girls) for lower kerbs at some venues because of "DANGER" that the new cars can "unexpectedly" come unglued. The chicane at Montreal's "Wall of Champions" comes to mind.
Innovation over refinement is the prefered path to performance. -- Get rid of the dopey regs in F1

mwillems

gcdugas wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 05:44
mwillems wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 05:35

I do expect to see detailing and a little skirt and so crucial will be those areas that you cannot afford any damage there.

Methinks they will lobby (whine like little girls) for lower kerbs at some venues because of "DANGER" that the new cars can "unexpectedly" come unglued. The chicane at Montreal's "Wall of Champions" comes to mind.
That example actually does carry a danger of sudden downforce loss at high speed over a Chicane and next to a concrete wall! So I get your point but that's not a great example lol

-Bandit

djos

It was never an issue for Champ Cars in the 90’s and early 2000’s, so it’s unlikely to be an issue for modern F1 cars.

Looking back to the last Venturi tunnel equipped F1 Cars is not a relevant data point, they had barely any idea how to get the tunnels to work.

Today there is vast knowledge and experience from many other categories that do use Venturi tunnels.
"In downforce we trust"

gcdugas

mwillems wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 05:54

That example actually does carry a danger of sudden downforce loss at high speed over a Chicane and next to a concrete wall! So I get your point but that's not a great example lol
It is a great example. These men are supposed to be competing for "the world driving championship". Just don't hit the kerb or push track limits. No more than at Monaco where the walls are everywhere. "World champion caliber drivers" should be able to do that. Instead I expect to hear them crying like little girls.... via their surrogates [team principles] of course.
Innovation over refinement is the prefered path to performance. -- Get rid of the dopey regs in F1

OO7
OO7

Motörhead wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 22:30
PlatinumZealot wrote:
But…..
I disagree. GP2 cars (the early variants) had tunnels and used kerbs in a similar fashion to any other single seated of the time.

mwillems

gcdugas wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 06:16
mwillems wrote:

It is a great example. These men are supposed to be competing for "the world driving championship". Just don't hit the kerb or push track limits. No more than at Monaco where the walls are everywhere. "World champion caliber drivers" should be able to do that. Instead I expect to hear them crying like little girls.... via their surrogates [team principles] of course.
It would be highly dangerous if the cars do lose grip suddenly. That's not an accident I want to watch if the cars behave that way.

-Bandit

djos

mwillems wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 08:44
gcdugas wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 06:16
mwillems wrote:

It would be highly dangerous if the cars do lose grip suddenly. That's not an accident I want to watch if the cars behave that way.
It’s not very likely! Venturi tunnels are very well understood now.
"In downforce we trust"