2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
adrianjordan

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

the EDGE wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 12:40
adrianjordan wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 12:25
Do you know what the livery reminds me of most.... The generic team liveries you get in the F1 game.

I guess that confirms McLaren is aiming at a younger fan base, hardly surprising given Lando's presence on Twitch, or whatever it's called lol.

I'm on the fence personally until I see it on TV. My favourite recent livery remains the 2019 one and I wish teams would stop with the matte finishes - I want shiny F1 cars 😂
It looked stunning on TV in the studio, it's worth noting that the 'black' is actually unpainted Carbon Fibre, not paint/wrap

The colours are great, I do like the new livery, but i'd prefer 2 colours not 3, and some artistic touch, not these straight lines

TBH, McLaren has the best colours, but every other team manages to do a better job putting them on the car

I still like the mcl 34, far the best recent livery for me

Still... if the 36 wins, who cares how she's painted?
Oh if she wins then this will be the best livery since 2012!! 😝
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

ScottR267
ScottR267

As expected…..

Herr_Koos

adrianjordan wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 13:17
the EDGE wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 12:25
Do you know what the livery reminds me of most.... The generic team liveries you get in the F1 game.

I guess that confirms McLaren is aiming at a younger fan base, hardly surprising given Lando's presence on Twitch, or whatever it's called lol.

I'm on the fence personally until I see it on TV. My favourite recent livery remains the 2019 one and I wish teams would stop with the matte finishes - I want shiny F1 cars 😂
It looked stunning on TV in the studio, it's worth noting that the 'black' is actually unpainted Carbon Fibre, not paint/wrap

The colours are great, I do like the new livery, but i'd prefer 2 colours not 3, and some artistic touch, not these straight lines

TBH, McLaren has the best colours, but every other team manages to do a better job putting them on the car

Well the most recent win is now in fact 2021, therefore the 35B should also look pretty good by virtue of being a race winner?

adrianjordan

Herr_Koos wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 13:35
adrianjordan wrote:
the EDGE wrote:

Well the most recent win is now in fact 2021, therefore the 35B should also look pretty good by virtue of being a race winner?
I know what you're saying, but I never really warmed to the 2020/1 liveries.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Herr_Koos wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 13:35
adrianjordan wrote:
the EDGE wrote:

It did look great… Those pictures of the cars getting the checkered flag getting a1-2 for the team were amazing!

KingHamilton01

Just curious as to why McLaren haven't decided to get the ball rolling like other team's with a filming day? surely gives them a big advantage in term's of correlation for part's and any future upgrades for the car? are they planning to run this the day before testing in Barca I wonder?? Obviously not that valuable as running for filming day is so short.
McLaren Mercedes

the EDGE
the EDGE

KingHamilton01 wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 18:28
Just curious as to why McLaren haven't decided to get the ball rolling like other team's with a filming day? surely gives them a big advantage in term's of correlation for part's and any future upgrades for the car? are they planning to run this the day before testing in Barca I wonder?? Obviously not that valuable as running for filming day is so short.
Curious? I’m now concerned!

We know it’s nothing to do with the PU thanks to AM, & now Williams

I was expecting the shakedown last Saturday, or yesterday at the latest, so what exactly is the hold-up?

Either the cars not ready… or they’re hiding something pretty special!

Herr_Koos

If memory serves, the team said they would have a shakedown shortly before the start of the first test. That's only a few days away now.

McFAN
McFAN

KingHamilton01 wrote:
Andreas Seidl.
“Similar to probably every other team, we’re also planning to do a filming day very close to the start of the official test in Barcelona,” said Seidl.

“That’s in the schedule. [We] still have a lot of boxes to tick in the next week to be finally ready for that."

So next week by the look of things.

the EDGE
the EDGE

McFAN wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 19:51
Andreas Seidl.
“Similar to probably every other team, we’re also planning to do a filming day very close to the start of the official test in Barcelona,” said Seidl.

“That’s in the schedule. [We] still have a lot of boxes to tick in the next week to be finally ready for that."

So next week by the look of things.
Thanks For finding that, but they also say they have boxes to tick before they are ready

I just hope they get all their boxes ticked,

still, doesn’t necessarily mean they are behind schedule, hopefully just maximising the limited time they have

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

KingHamilton01 wrote:
You don’t do correlation work during the filming day really… It is more of a simple shakedown (systems check)… For correlation, you would need to perform several different tasks, different type of aero rakes to measure how the aero is working on the car, ensure that you are running a significant amount of laps at a constant lap time to measure how it correlates to the model, etc.

With only 100km, and with other more important tasks (like the systems check mentioned before), the filming day isn’t one to be used for correlation work… No need to perform one too early before testing.

the EDGE
the EDGE

SmallSoldier wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 21:04
KingHamilton01 wrote:
You don’t do correlation work during the filming day really… It is more of a simple shakedown (systems check)… For correlation, you would need to perform several different tasks, different type of aero rakes to measure how the aero is working on the car, ensure that you are running a significant amount of laps at a constant lap time to measure how it correlates to the model, etc.

With only 100km, and with other more important tasks (like the systems check mentioned before), the filming day isn’t one to be used for correlation work… No need to perform one too early before testing.
Perhaps they’re planning to hold it at Barcelona on the 22nd, instead of Silverstone this week

Other teams have done that in the past, can remember if McLaren have. I’m sure they’ve used Paul Riccard on the way down before. Come to think of it, It’s possibly o let the last couple of years they’ve used Silverstone so this wouldn’t be that unusual

Edit: maybe it’s wasn’t Paul Riccard, maybe it was a vehicle proving ground in northern Spain they used on the way to a test in Jarez that I’m thinking of

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 21:15
SmallSoldier wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 21:04
KingHamilton01 wrote:

Perhaps they’re planning to hold it at Barcelona on the 22nd, instead of Silverstone this week

Other teams have done that in the past, can remember if McLaren have. I’m sure they’ve used Paul Riccard on the way down before. Come to think of it, It’s possibly o let the last couple of years they’ve used Silverstone so this wouldn’t be that unusual
That would make sense… My point was that if you feel comfortable with the car (from an Assembly perspective) you don’t need to rush the shakedown… The point of doing one is so that you don’t find any surprises during testing and therefore can dedicate all the available time to the actual correlation work, etc.

Last year with a new PU, hitting the track a little early to make sure everything worked as it should made sense, this year isn’t a necessity (but just as you, I would love to see the car on track)… Hopefully not on a rainy day though!
Last edited by SmallSoldier on 15 Feb 2022, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.

the EDGE
the EDGE

SmallSoldier wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 21:19

That would make sense… My point was that if you feel comfortable with the car (from an Assembly perspective) you don’t need to rush the shakedown… The point of doing one is so that you find any surprises during testing and therefore can dedicate all the available time to the actual correlation work, etc.

Last year with a new PU, hitting the track a little early to make sure everything worked as it should made sense, this year isn’t a necessity (but just as you, I would love to see the car on track)… Hopefully not on a rainy day though!
Agreed, but another point of a shakedown over the past couple of years is to ensure that you are as prepared as you can be from moment the pit light turns green on test day 1

3 days is not a lot of time to be running the car for the very first time regardless of reliability

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 21:24
SmallSoldier wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 21:19

That would make sense… My point was that if you feel comfortable with the car (from an Assembly perspective) you don’t need to rush the shakedown… The point of doing one is so that you find any surprises during testing and therefore can dedicate all the available time to the actual correlation work, etc.

Agreed, but another point of a shakedown over the past couple of years is to ensure that you are as prepared as you can be from moment the pit light turns green on test day 1

3 days is not a lot of time to be running the car for the very first time regardless of reliability
Exactly! Use those 100km to make sure that nothing falls apart, that everything works, that every switch, dial and setting operates when the driver uses them… And afterwards, dismantle the whole car to make sure that there aren’t any issues created by vibrations or the like.