McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: McLaren MCL36

Zynerji wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 21:49
Do teams tend to evolve an early season, highly adjustable suspension concept into more of a lighter weight, but fixed setting system later into the season as they learn the setup window? 🤔
Which parts do you think would evolve?

I remember when the team was working on the POU and made some changes to how the upper wishbone connected to the wheel hub and they had some “prototype” parts… And there were some weight savings in the final iteration of the solutions, but I would expect most parts of the suspension to be close to final form (when it comes to weight) on the car that will be in testing.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

The curvature of the mirrors seem to match the curvature of the wing… Wow!

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Emag wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 16:32
Well, Ferrari has gone for a similar concept. So that lifts some of the doubts over this decision. Now if Mercedes and RedBull have gone for something similar it would certainly be very reassuring :D
Has this been confirmed?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

:(
Ground Effect wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 22:03
Emag wrote:
Well, Ferrari has gone for a similar concept. So that lifts some of the doubts over this decision. Now if Mercedes and RedBull have gone for something similar it would certainly be very reassuring :D
Has this been confirmed?
It hasn’t.

Emag
Emag

Ground Effect wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 22:03
Emag wrote:
Has this been confirmed?
Pretty much confirmed I would say. Highly unlikely that its not.

Just a couple of hours to wait anyway.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 21:29
If I’m in interpreting Key’s comments correctly, there is a considerable difference between the suspension geometries and it isn’t just due to aero benefits (like Newey using pull rod to help airflow in the diffuser)… This was a change driven by the expected performance gain from the suspension itself, to the point that aero has been accommodated to the change and not the other way around.
Agreed. We can't reconcile the fact that Key sees the change as risky but with high potential and idea that the change doesn't really matter either way. If it didn't show promise McLaren would not change suspension and introduce all that risk.

I am sure from a theoretical standpoint of a suspension, it doesn't really matter, but obviously Key feels it is an important change for the performance of the car, probably due to the aero concept they are using. So far it seems McLaren is quite lonely in their changes but we've yet to see Red Bull and Mercedes.

At the end, I am happy they are trying something. It will be disappointing if it ends up backfiring but I'd rather we tried instead of holding steady in midfield.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

FittingMechanics wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 22:20
SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 21:29
If I’m in interpreting Key’s comments correctly, there is a considerable difference between the suspension geometries and it isn’t just due to aero benefits (like Newey using pull rod to help airflow in the diffuser)… This was a change driven by the expected performance gain from the suspension itself, to the point that aero has been accommodated to the change and not the other way around.
Agreed. We can't reconcile the fact that Key sees the change as risky but with high potential and idea that the change doesn't really matter either way. If it didn't show promise McLaren would not change suspension and introduce all that risk.

I am sure from a theoretical standpoint of a suspension, it doesn't really matter, but obviously Key feels it is an important change for the performance of the car, probably due to the aero concept they are using. So far it seems McLaren is quite lonely in their changes but we've yet to see Red Bull and Mercedes.

At the end, I am happy they are trying something. It will be disappointing if it ends up backfiring but I'd rather we tried instead of holding steady in midfield.
Whole heartedly agree with the last statement… If there was a time to take some risks, it’s now! It is an statement of intent to go back to the front! (Let’s hope it works!)

f1rules
f1rules

from the unboxed video, i know its difficult to make to much from them, but there is actually a decent amount of rake if you dont get fooled by the cover hanging over the side floor. Would fit their outwash fw design and front sidepod design, so the flow they "give up" on with smaller diffuser inlets they try and claw back with rake and maybe getting a stronger frontend with the center spoon shape and those millimeters closer to the ground

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

f1rules wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 22:55
from the unboxed video, i know its difficult to make to much from them, but there is actually a decent amount of rake if you dont get fooled by the cover hanging over the side floor. Would fit their outwash fw design and front sidepod design, so the flow they "give up" on with smaller diffuser inlets they try and claw back with rake and maybe getting a stronger frontend with the center spoon shape and those millimeters closer to the ground

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FLvv8qPXoAg ... name=large
It probably doesn’t have fuel in it plus a number of things. I wouldn’t read into it much.

Nicktendo86
Nicktendo86

Yep, quite a lot of rake. Look how close the tea tray is to the floor!

Zynerji

SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 21:58
Zynerji wrote:
Do teams tend to evolve an early season, highly adjustable suspension concept into more of a lighter weight, but fixed setting system later into the season as they learn the setup window? 🤔

I remember when the team was working on the POU and made some changes to how the upper wishbone connected to the wheel hub and they had some “prototype” parts… And there were some weight savings in the final iteration of the solutions, but I would expect most parts of the suspension to be close to final form (when it comes to weight) on the car that will be in testing.
Im thinking small things that are adjustable. Like if they find the perfect camber-curve, the adjustable areas of those systems get designed as fixed units, reducing complexity and weight...

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Zynerji wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 23:16
SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 21:58
Zynerji wrote:

Im thinking small things that are adjustable. Like if they find the perfect camber-curve, the adjustable areas of those systems get designed as fixed units, reducing complexity and weight...
I would love to answer it, but I’m afraid I’m clueless in that regard 😔

f1rules
f1rules

found this im not even sure, instagram story? seem to be the real fw
Last edited by f1rules on 17 Feb 2022, 00:49, edited 1 time in total.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

f1rules wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 00:34
found this im not even sure, instagram story? seem to be the real fw
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FLwHXcrXsAI ... me=900x900

https://i.imgur.com/z7XY4ai.jpg
Different angle, but I believe it is the same one from the launch

f1rules
f1rules