2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

I can see merit in doing it day or two before the test. If you are expecting new parts, doing it to early opens you up to issues when new parts arrive. Plus the weather seems quite bad in the UK for a shakedown.

Regardless I'd prefer if they ran it on track :).

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

SmallSoldier wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 21:35
the EDGE wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 21:24
SmallSoldier wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 21:19

That would make sense… My point was that if you feel comfortable with the car (from an Assembly perspective) you don’t need to rush the shakedown… The point of doing one is so that you find any surprises during testing and therefore can dedicate all the available time to the actual correlation work, etc.

Last year with a new PU, hitting the track a little early to make sure everything worked as it should made sense, this year isn’t a necessity (but just as you, I would love to see the car on track)… Hopefully not on a rainy day though!
Agreed, but another point of a shakedown over the past couple of years is to ensure that you are as prepared as you can be from moment the pit light turns green on test day 1

3 days is not a lot of time to be running the car for the very first time regardless of reliability
Exactly! Use those 100km to make sure that nothing falls apart, that everything works, that every switch, dial and setting operates when the driver uses them… And afterwards, dismantle the whole car to make sure that there aren’t any issues created by vibrations or the like.
It's going to be raining in the UK for most of the week, not ideal conditions to shake the car down and take promotional footage for sponsors use. A day or two before the first test is probably fine for McLaren. They'll have probably already run the car on the dyno to see if all the systems work. I might be wrong but I don't think they can run the cars at full speed during a filming day anyway. So the only way to really shake down the car is as soon as it rolls out of the garage and hits the track on day 1 of testing. If anything is going to fail or not work properly, it will be when the car is being driven hard during testing.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

taperoo2k wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 23:06
SmallSoldier wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 21:35
the EDGE wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 21:24

Agreed, but another point of a shakedown over the past couple of years is to ensure that you are as prepared as you can be from moment the pit light turns green on test day 1

3 days is not a lot of time to be running the car for the very first time regardless of reliability
Exactly! Use those 100km to make sure that nothing falls apart, that everything works, that every switch, dial and setting operates when the driver uses them… And afterwards, dismantle the whole car to make sure that there aren’t any issues created by vibrations or the like.
It's going to be raining in the UK for most of the week, not ideal conditions to shake the car down and take promotional footage for sponsors use. A day or two before the first test is probably fine for McLaren. They'll have probably already run the car on the dyno to see if all the systems work. I might be wrong but I don't think they can run the cars at full speed during a filming day anyway. So the only way to really shake down the car is as soon as it rolls out of the garage and hits the track on day 1 of testing. If anything is going to fail or not work properly, it will be when the car is being driven hard during testing.
I’m sure that the car will show more the weaknesses or potential issues when driven in anger… But a lot can be “checked off” during the shakedown / filming day.

Thunder

_cerber1 wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 13:09
They haven't even googled what their Brand Name means in different languages. :wtf:
Andreas Seidl surely had a chuckle when he heard about it. Puff is slang for Brothel in German. :D
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

_cerber1

Fabrega says McLaren will spend a day of filming in Barcelona on February 21st. March 9rd is the second shooting day in Bahrain.
Last edited by _cerber1 on 16 Feb 2022, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.

Big Tea

Thunder wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 08:09
_cerber1 wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 13:09
They haven't even googled what their Brand Name means in different languages. :wtf:
Andreas Seidl surely had a chuckle when he heard about it. Puff is slang for Brothel in German. :D
In my part of the UK it is Fart.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PlatinumZealot

The word puff also has some drug abuse connotations.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Balalu
Balalu

_cerber1 wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 13:25
Fabrega says McLaren will spend a day of filming in Barcelona on February 21st. March 9rd is the second shooting day in Bahrain.
Thanks for the info!

But, what day is the 9rd? 3rd or 9th?
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

_cerber1

Balalu wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 14:11
_cerber1 wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 13:25
Thanks for the info!

But, what day is the 9rd? 3rd or 9th?

AeroDynamic

https://the-race.com/formula-1/a-weird- ... ing-piece/
Interesting article about Daniel's driving style techniques that contrast to Norris'. He talks about discovering his strengths (and weaknesses).

my question is this. The way they described the McLaren's demands, and or Norris's adapted? style to the car.. is it just me, or does that sound very much like the way Hamilton drives? I've been feeling like there's some parallels between Norris and Hamilton, and this was an unexpected one that might be there in their driving.. I just wonder if teams can learn this when they supply another team.. and do they recognise that not only is Norris top material in the driving seat, but hat he has a very familiar way of driving that might share chemistry with the Mercedes?

Despite being famously adept at late-braking passes, Ricciardo’s preferred style in normal conditions is to brake slightly earlier, with less pressure, and roll the speed into the corner.

Team-mate Lando Norris was much more effective with a later, harder brake that facilitated a sharper rotation and allowed him to get on the power again quicker.
Daniel's style sounds exactly the same as Max's is now at RBR.

Marc.W

McFAN
McFAN

McLaren Racing Is Using Webex Hologram For A Competitive Edge In Car Design
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes ... esign/amp/

Interesting stuff

billamend
billamend

If you see their videos, they're all using Teams, not Webex

djos

billamend wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 01:52
No one in their right mind uses WebEx .... it's horrible!
"In downforce we trust"

billamend
billamend

djos wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 02:06
billamend wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 01:52
No one in their right mind uses WebEx .... it's horrible!
Teams is also pretty awful, but still much better