Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Emag
Emag

Re: Scuderia Ferrari F1-75 speculation thread

LM10 wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 22:26
Emag wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 22:08
LM10 wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 22:02

The 2017 Ferrari was the most radical looking car on the grid and performed the best on chassis/aerodynamic side. They interpreted the rule changes like no other team back then and eventually their concept was copied by everyone. It was before ERS and fuel flow were even a thing.
Yes, the 2017 car was radical and performed very good. But let's not forget Mercedes had a completely different concept that year and they had on average, the faster car.

So radical does not automatically mean the best.
Ferrari with a Mercedes engine would have walked to the title in that year - on raw pace.

I know very well that radical does not automatically mean the best. No one has claimed so. However, mzso claimed that radical looking cars have not performed well in the past, which is simply not true.
Both cars followed their respective concepts but more developed for 2018. Ferrari had a beast of an engine back then, but Mercedes was still on average the better car, especially towards the end of the season.

Anyway, don't want to drag on too much on this. My point is, there is almost always more than one way to get things right. And sometimes, the more "striking" solutions perform worse in relation to something that looks simple in comparison.

ScrewCaptain27

Re: Ferrari F1-75

"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

wowgr8
wowgr8

hichamo wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 19:48
Hello everyone, can any one tells me how I can post a pic from an android phone!
When I click on image , it won't go to the gallery to select one, it only writes [img] .
Thanks in advance.
You have to upload the image to an image sharing site like Imgur then paste the link that ends with .jpg in between those two [IMG] markers

edgelo
edgelo

PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 20:22
bagajohny wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 18:33
My only question is what happens when it rains? With those kind of sidepods.
Well, this is when you seek an FIA approved hole going through to the floor so that the water can be drained. There might be an extra duct or two connecting to said drain and joining to the diffuser, just so, you know can't have the thing vapour locking and all that. :mrgreen:
:lol:
Of course there is no better place to drain the water than the diffuser. Poor engineers, they are commited

organic

19:57 mark

These Ferrari sidepods are reminiscent of an example concept presented when the regs were first announced

edgelo
edgelo

JordanMugen wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 22:55
PhillipM wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 15:58
Sevach wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 15:48
They are ginourmous intentionally, if they removed the concave factor(which i'm pretty sure isn't necessary for cooling)
I'm pretty sure it is, they're dropping the pressure there by sheilding it with the raised outer sidepod area
But that will raise the pressure, not drop the pressure? :?: Shielded areas that are more stagnant have higher pressure.

Unless they are extremely confident that air will follow the top surface and be accelerated like the curve of the suction side (longer path) of an aerofoil.
When you have a high speed flow over a shielded area, pressure drops. It’s the same principle as a chimney, a sprayer or even a carburator

billamend
billamend

organic

Yes this is the concept presented in the video I linked; it looks very similar to the Ferrari. I suppose this can be either a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it.

billamend
billamend

organic wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 23:56
Yes this is the concept presented in the video I linked; it looks very similar to the Ferrari. I suppose this can be either a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it.
I remember seeing at the time, but it didn't click when Ferrari showed its car. Only when someone also pointed out that it clicked.

organic

I suppose the FIA idea is incorporating more of the MP4-26 concept ie specifically to deliver airflow to the beam wing, generates no proper concave surface like Ferrari does and has a much bulkier airbox. FIA concept also has no inclusion of louvres - potentially a critical part of Ferrari's decision - which perhaps weren't in the regs at that point. It's possible therefore that the two are rather different in design purpose even if visually they carry some similarities? I am no aerodynamicist however :D

Edit: to me the FIA car seems to be going for more of the 2011 McLaren concept than this Ferrari I think.
Last edited by organic on 18 Feb 2022, 00:09, edited 2 times in total.

Emag
Emag

One thing is for sure. Since it is one of the possible design philosophies that was actually given by the FIA, it must have definitely, at least, been considered/evaluated by the other teams.

Although it's obvious that Ferrari's concept is not 1:1 with the concept given by the FIA, so it is possible the other teams might have overlooked something.

Blackout

JordanMugen wrote:
Unless they are extremely confident that air will follow the top surface and be accelerated like the curve of the suction side (longer path) of an aerofoil.
The blue part is the aerofoil

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

edgelo wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 23:52
JordanMugen wrote:
PhillipM wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 15:58

I'm pretty sure it is, they're dropping the pressure there by sheilding it with the raised outer sidepod area
But that will raise the pressure, not drop the pressure? :?: Shielded areas that are more stagnant have higher pressure.

When you have a high speed flow over a shielded area, pressure drops. It’s the same principle as a chimney, a sprayer or even a carburator
+1

This is exactly what a jet shield does on a round / flat slide carburetor.

You can actually make a SU carburetor have better jet signal by removing the bridge and going to Japanese carburetor style shield set up.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Fede90 wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 20:26
Not conviced about new Ferrari's sides.
https://i.postimg.cc/kgQDPYPd/Senza-titolo.jpg

Aston seems have more space to flow the air from the front to the rear by the "slim zone" beneath radiators
I see what you mean with this. Anyone more skilled to comment please do so, but to me it looks like the Ferrari solution would energise the air and potentially spool up a vortex through the small undercut and over the top of the rear floor surface, where the Aston appears to have a natural airflow across that area.

Anyone?

Coefficient
Coefficient

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 23:32
MP4 26 had the weird trough sidepods. 29 was the first ybrid era McLaren.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".