Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Holm86

Re: Mercedes W13

AeroDynamic wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 13:09
What if they turn up to the Barcelona test with a very different looking car? They did this in 2019 between the two tests.
Seems unlikely with the budget cap, that could not have been a cost effective solution

Herr_Koos

De Jokke wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 13:03
InsaneX_Badger wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 13:00
De Jokke wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 12:59
hmm render car is way more beautiful than the showcar. But as long as it slays the opposition, I'm fine with it.

Red bull's silverstone shot showed a very refined car at the back, reminiscent of old rbr cars
So red bull did do a shakedown at Silverstone? Is there a picture?
yes I edited my post.
Can't really call that blurry mess a picture, but it's all we have for now.

EDIT: Apparently someone disagreed enough with me to downvote my comment. :lol:
Last edited by Herr_Koos on 18 Feb 2022, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Sevach wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 13:02
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... w13-1.webp

Merc's floor is much flatter than the competition at this stage, it doesn't go "way down" then kicks up it has a rather smooth curvature.

Tiny sidepods (big inlets though) and a FW the has no inside loading, peculiar to say the least.
The front wing endplates are triangular, unique relative to the other cars that have been published thus far.

What effect will this have downstream?

Correction. Only in the renders, although still more of a triangle shape on the actual car than others I've observed.

Herr_Koos

AeroDynamic wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 12:47
Brightened..
https://i.imgur.com/xBsUBKn.png
If you crop this picture between the sharkfin and sidepod inlets, it could almost pass for any Merc from the past 3 to 4 years. So like McLaren, they appear to think there is still merit to the shrinkwrapped sidepod packaging.

Santozini
Santozini

Herr_Koos wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 13:29
AeroDynamic wrote:
Brightened..
If you crop this picture between the sharkfin and sidepod inlets, it could almost pass for any Merc from the past 3 to 4 years. So like McLaren, they appear to think there is still merit to the shrinkwrapped sidepod packaging.
Could it be that they didn't have enough time/resources to explore other concepts due to the tight battle with RB last year until the very end? So they decided to go with what they knew worked?

Herr_Koos

Santozini wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 13:45
Herr_Koos wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:
Brightened..
Could it be that they didn't have enough time/resources to explore other concepts due to the tight battle with RB last year until the very end? So they decided to go with what they knew worked?
It's certainly possible, but they've coped with rule changes well enough in the past, and they certainly have no shortage of clever people. If there was an obviously better solution, Merc of all teams would likely have found it.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Herr_Koos wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:
Brightened..
If theyre creating outwash with front of the sidepod, then shrink wrapping as much as possible further back would reduce the chance of any of the turbulent outwash flow from reattatching to the bodywork. Then of course, clean high energy air onto the top of the floor is always going be beneficial.

mrluke
mrluke

Santozini wrote:
Herr_Koos wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:
Brightened..
Part of the structure brawn setup was for one team to be working on the current car and a second team to be working on next years car. From day 1 of the season. So doubt theyve lost any time in exploring concepts. Perhaps in ultimate refining.

Santozini
Santozini

mrluke wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 13:56
Santozini wrote:
Herr_Koos wrote:

Part of the structure brawn setup was for one team to be working on the current car and a second team to be working on next years car. From day 1 of the season. So doubt theyve lost any time in exploring concepts. Perhaps in ultimate refining.
I was referring to Mercedes

siskue2005

Santozini wrote:
Herr_Koos wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:
Brightened..
I didnt see any aero updates on the Merc in 2021, just iny tweaks here and there. I only saw mechanical updates ... which they can use in 2022. So hardly they lost anything.

siskue2005

Herr_Koos wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:
Brightened..
Their shrink wrap worked for the last 8 years... so i would carry forward as much as they can to the new concepts. Evolution is the best way if ur previous concept worked for many years, unlike other teams who dont have any solid base.

mrluke
mrluke

Santozini wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 13:59
mrluke wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 13:56
Santozini wrote:

I was referring to Mercedes
So was I....?

Zynerji

The top view looks similar to the HAAS imho. I'm starting to think they may be a contender if they have hit on the same direction as the W13.

PlatinumZealot

The front wing is very interesting but familiar. To me it looks like they are keeping with their tried and true practice of keeping the vicinity arouns the nose very clear of strong influence of the front wing. Likely to get a stronger flow towards the floor and to help prevent the tyre wake from being "pulled" inboard too much.

I am actually impressed with how tight the side pods are. Mercedes have managed a big undercut from the side pod entrance and around the crash structure when McLaren have more of an overcut design. Goes to show that Mercedes are masters of cooling their own engine.

There is also a bargeboard philosophy going on. The flat corner treatment is like the Aston Martin and then you look at the top of the floor entrance just where the side pod starts, you see they have moulded a relief shaped like a guide to push flow outward and downward.

The car is pretty vanilla otherwise.

I can't christen it Excalibur yet though. Let's wait till Q3 Bahrain.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare