Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
siskue2005

Re: Mercedes W13

The beam wing plus the rear suspension acts as a huge wing. Which also helps the diffuser and the actual rear wing

qatmix

I have loved looking at all the new cars and it's been great to see the range of innovations etc.

I think the fact that this car looks simple and refined could be a big concern. It's the opposite of 'The Homer' that Ferrari has launched where they have thrown loads of things at the car that do not actually seem to really fit together.

This just looks assured, like they know it will will work without any desperate gimmick, although there are some very nice little details on the front of the floor etc. Although we have no idea until Q3 in Bahrain where the real speed is.

AeroDynamic

SiLo wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 16:31
You can see the vortex being shed from the front entrance to the tunnel on the both sides of the car, looks like it runs all the way along the floor to the rear tyre.
:D

Can you comment on how the new regs are working for the wake behind the car in general? I've tried to again darken and isolate detail in the vapour wake as I did on the Williams:

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

SiLo wrote:
You can see the vortex being shed from the front entrance to the tunnel on the both sides of the car, looks like it runs all the way along the floor to the rear tyre.
I think the vortex youre referring too is being shed by the lower part of the front wheel fairings

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Emag
Emag

AeroDynamic wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 16:39
SiLo wrote:
:D

Can you comment on how the new regs are working for the wake behind the car in general? I've tried to again darken and isolate detail in the vapour wake as I did on the Williams:

https://i.imgur.com/RWz436a.jpg

Well, compared to last year, you can sort of see how the dirty air is being pushed a little bit more upwards, and the "safe" zone is much closer to the car.

DAMNINice

Looks like they really have a stepped floor entrance. Higher in the middle.
They are using the extra air on the side to seal the floor by very powerful vortices.
It is visible in the other spray picture.

It seems like they have sacrificed tunnel volume for the purpose of sealing the floor.
The waves on the floor edges etc. are doing their rest.

Pretty neat design.
REal men play with twins!

e30ernest
e30ernest

Vortices visible being shed from under the wing (looks like to manage tire wake out), and along the floor (probably to seal).

DAMNINice

here a zoomed picture with the visible step:
REal men play with twins!

djones
djones

For some reason, I was expecting gills on the side pods.

I know nothing about aero. But it does look very cohesive and refined even at this early stage.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

e30ernest wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 16:47
Vortices visible being shed from under the wing (looks like to manage tire wake out), and along the floor (probably to seal).

https://i.imgur.com/65OkElz.jpg
Pretty sure the 2 vortices under the wing, are in facy being shed by the lower front wheel fairings

Emag
Emag

Overall, a very clean design by Mercedes, as we have come to expect from them. Their concepts have usually effortlessly looked and performed very well on track. I expect the same from this car. Would be surprised if it is not a serious contender.

Just as an example for last year. RedBull had some crazy looking, very complicated bargeboards, whereas Mercedes, although still very complex, managed to "pull through" with something that looked simpler in comparison.

They come up with something that "just works" and don't bother over-engineering their solutions.

e30ernest
e30ernest

Mchamilton wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 16:54
e30ernest wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 16:47

https://i.imgur.com/65OkElz.jpg
Pretty sure the 2 vortices under the wing, are in facy being shed by the lower front wheel fairings
Yes I noticed that too after posting it. Thanks for pointing out too :)

AeroDynamic

DAMNINice wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 16:52
here a zoomed picture with the visible step:
https://i.postimg.cc/Jnd7XStz/floor.png
Also those vanes in the floor are canting and pitched to their side. Im not Aeo expert, but are they trying to push the air from the floor outward towards the wavy floor edge?

siskue2005

djones wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 16:53
For some reason, I was expecting gills on the side pods.

I know nothing about aero. But it does look very cohesive and refined even at this early stage.

The panel in the photo could be replaced with a panel with gills.