2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Marc.W

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Hopefully it was focus being concentrated on 2022 instead of 1 extra place in the WCC, sure, worth a couple of million, but maybe the extra effort that went in to 22 would claw that back and more

Macklaren
Macklaren

McL-H wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 13:45
I am not sure whether I missed this, but did the team gave any reason on their downfall since the Russian GP last season? I hope they got on top of that, because it more seemed as if their car went backwards than the competition moving forwards. They went from dominating the Italian en Russian GP to fighting Alpine which was rather weird.
They have spoken about it often. Combination of less suitable tracks + some driver errors + bad luck. They were in a position to outscore Ferrari at most races in the back half before things went pear shaped

1m0bius1
1m0bius1

MClaren looks really underdeveloped compared to merc and ferrari. Guess we will find out on filming day. Seems the car has been simplified somewhat

Emag
Emag

1m0bius1 wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 14:11
MClaren looks really underdeveloped compared to merc and ferrari. Guess we will find out on filming day. Seems the car has been simplified somewhat
You are basing that on the premise that just because something looks striking, it means that it must be better?

Apart from their unique sidepod shape, the Ferrari is a rather straightforward car. And I have no idea what you saw in the Mercedes that makes you think it's more developed than McLaren. The only area where the Mercedes is more developed is the floor, and that's because they did not hide many things about the floor as they plan to run that car today. McLaren on the other hand hid every detail about the car.

So don't worry about how developed the car is, because it has plenty of things going on. The only thing for which I would worry about at this point is the suspension geometry. McLaren is the only car that has gone that route so I hope it's not for the wrong reasons.

McL-H
McL-H

Macklaren wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 14:09
McL-H wrote:
I am not sure whether I missed this, but did the team gave any reason on their downfall since the Russian GP last season? I hope they got on top of that, because it more seemed as if their car went backwards than the competition moving forwards. They went from dominating the Italian en Russian GP to fighting Alpine which was rather weird.
They have spoken about it often. Combination of less suitable tracks + some driver errors + bad luck. They were in a position to outscore Ferrari at most races in the back half before things went pear shaped
I see. Hopefully it was just that. I just hope they did not suffer from correlation issues that could haunt them this year too. I am just having some issues with the suitable tracks argument. Because up to the Russian GP they were 3rd/4th at pretty much every track. Sometimes making life difficult for RBR and Mercedes. And all those tracks were quite mixed as well in layout.Their increasing deficit to the top teams didn’t surprise me. But the decreasing advantage to the rest of the teams did. I just hope they’ve got on top of what caused it to prevent it from happening again. Especially with all the development going on this year.

Macklaren
Macklaren

So at what point should we raise an eyebrow that all the top teams have done a shakedown already, except McLaren? Just before the test may be too late?

JPower
JPower

1m0bius1 wrote:
Maybe not underdeveloped. I would say, maybe not as “exotic” as the other two. However, still some very interesting features. We’ll see how it plays out on track.

bauc

Macklaren wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 14:36
So at what point should we raise an eyebrow that all the top teams have done a shakedown already, except McLaren? Just before the test may be too late?
Car was not ready before, they mentioned this on the launch that there are still things to be done before they can do it, but more importantly we will do our filming day in Barcelona on 21st, where the conditions are much closer to the real required to test the car.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mclaren111

Macklaren wrote:

Silverstone weather were & are horrible this whole week...

McL-H
McL-H

mclaren111 wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 15:35
Macklaren wrote:

Silverstone weather were & are horrible this whole week...
Yes. Much better to acquire data in Barcelona on 21st than on a wet and stormy Silverstone. It would be a waste of resources.

adrianjordan

McL-H wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 14:29
Macklaren wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 14:09
McL-H wrote:
I see. Hopefully it was just that. I just hope they did not suffer from correlation issues that could haunt them this year too. I am just having some issues with the suitable tracks argument. Because up to the Russian GP they were 3rd/4th at pretty much every track. Sometimes making life difficult for RBR and Mercedes. And all those tracks were quite mixed as well in layout.Their increasing deficit to the top teams didn’t surprise me. But the decreasing advantage to the rest of the teams did. I just hope they’ve got on top of what caused it to prevent it from happening again. Especially with all the development going on this year.
They didn't bring any updates to any of those races, so correlation wouldn't come into play. It would also be unusual in the extreme to suddenly have correlation issues more than halfway through a season without something major changing in the process.

Stop being so pessimistic!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

McL-H wrote:
More track related than performance related… In addition, we had that impression because of the loss of several important points due to on-track issues (like Lando’s collision in Brazil for example)

mwillems

1m0bius1 wrote:
Let's see what goes onto the track.

Seeing Ferraris solution was food for thought, but Mercedes seem to have kept a type of bargeboard by utilising the tunnel entrance and then still retaining the undercut on the sidepods. Now I feel we're middle of the road lol

Can't help but feel that the Mercedes solution was a nice interpretation of the rules, but we haven't seen what is really going on track for Mclaren yet. Maybe it is this car, maybe it is something a little different.

Edit: Reading about those "Bargeboards" now and it seems a lot of controversy around the "spirit" of the rules. I can understand why but personally think it was smart. I wonder if this is why they revealed this now, test a reaction prior to the season start and push the FIA. Maybe even reveal it whilst the politics surrounding last year still rumble on.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

McG

mwillems wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 22:32
1m0bius1 wrote:

Seeing Ferraris solution was food for thought, but Mercedes seem to have kept a type of bargeboard by utilising the tunnel entrance and then still retaining the undercut on the sidepods. Now I feel we're middle of the road lol

Can't help but feel that the Mercedes solution was a nice interpretation of the rules, but we haven't seen what is really going on track for Mclaren yet. Maybe it is this car, maybe it is something a little different.

Edit: Reading about those "Bargeboards" now and it seems a lot of controversy around the "spirit" of the rules. I can understand why but personally think it was smart. I wonder if this is why they revealed this now, test a reaction prior to the season start and push the FIA. Maybe even reveal it whilst the politics surrounding last year still rumble on.
Mercedes have traditionally got away with a lot in the past. After Masi-gate and the floor rule change for 2021 I think Mercedes will be using all their clout again to push borderline rule breaking innovations. Mercedes can pull out of F1 and leave 2 teams looking for engines and a big hole where they used to be. Don't be surprised if a lot of things to go right for Mercedes from now on.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

McG wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 04:46
mwillems wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 22:32
1m0bius1 wrote:

Mercedes have traditionally got away with a lot in the past. After Masi-gate and the floor rule change for 2021 I think Mercedes will be using all their clout again to push borderline rule breaking innovations. Mercedes can pull out of F1 and leave 2 teams looking for engines and a big hole where they used to be. Don't be surprised if a lot of things to go right for Mercedes from now on.
Let’s not bring the conspiracy theories into this thread please