2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Big Tea wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 01:43
wogx wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 01:40
Big Tea wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 00:54
Or a stylised GR ?
That's a stylised GR:

https://i.imgur.com/cHP01LV.jpeg

And that's just an 8:

https://www.wykop.pl/cdn/c3201142/comme ... sNxS8m.jpg

Mercedes design is really bad in that case :roll:
What does the 8 represent? Are they allowed to display any number other than the driver number? (asking?)
Its not an 8, its a 6 and a 3 with an over lap. Just like the 4 and 4 for Hamilton.

If it has to be an 8, it would surely represent 8 titles in a row for Mercedes, but its not an 8. Its just the 6 and 3 overlapped.

GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

JordanMugen

Morteza wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 14:31
GR's helmet is way too similar to LH IMO! I wish GR had kept more red to make the drivers easier to distinguish.
wogx wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 01:40
And that's just an 8:
:lol:

FIA should make a clarification about car number visibility and legibility. We have Ferrari with black numbers on a red background, stylised numbers that are almost illegible etc. It shouldn't take detective work to read the race number! Something along the lines of "Hindu-Arabic numerals must be used with sufficient contrast and legibility to be correctly transferred to text by [X] OCR software."

For reference Google Lens refuses to recognise that as text at all let alone as a 63! [Google Lens has no trouble identifying the "Right F" which is actually legible...]

McG

PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 20:19
George is very photogenic and great speaker. So easy to listen to. He reminds me of Nigel Mansell somewhat. Lewis already notices that and I see some nervousness in trying to be as smooth as George is. Good thing is he already had three years beside Button who is another well spoken, presentable gentleman character, so he can draw on that.
Hamilton has always been as much of a gent as Button or Russell is now. He definitely has no issue in that area so don't know why you're saying that.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

Stu

SmallSoldier wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 23:19
The new 63 font for George Russell does look like an 8 🤔

https://i.imgur.com/cHP01LV.jpg
This is not new for GR, this is his helmet design.

This is why he has picked the number 63, stylised slightly, it can also be read as GR.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

ringo

fritticaldi wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 21:26
Those seashell vains right infront of the Eperformance logo are supposed to deflect dirty air . I believe Brawn and the FIA had prohibited these . No other team has them . Does anyone have the rulebook available to them ? Seems to me that Mercedes are tinkering with the rules . Rival teams will have noted this and surely submit a protest.
I have not read the new regulations. But in the previous one the outer 50m of the floor can have holes and curves in it. So it is not illegal.
This same rule allowed teams to place slotted wings on the outer part of the floor.
For Sure!!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Stu wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 07:45
SmallSoldier wrote:

This is why he has picked the number 63, stylised slightly, it can also be read as GR.
Maybe is tricking me because of the apparent 8 in the W13… But in the past I could clearly see the GR, this time I can only see an “8”

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

Maybe Im reading to much into it... it may be just concentration... but I dont like the face expressions and the body language of the guys after they run the car in Silverstone... I know it was run in the wet but in the last years I saw happier faces despite beeing a corporate anglo-german team.

siskue2005

mclaren_mircea wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 10:35

Maybe Im reading to much into it... it may be just concentration... but I dont like the face expressions and the body language of the guys after they run the car in Silverstone... I know it was run in the wet but in the last years I saw happier faces despite beeing a corporate anglo-german team.
But last year they were no where near the performance levels of Redbull. :)
So it means there is no way to read their expressions

AeroDynamic

I think you're reading a bit much into it. These are candid photos of their meeting, they aren't posing or thinking about being happy. They're focused and listening to Lewis' feedback as he goes through what I assume is telemetry data on the laptop.

A fast car doesn't mean it drives beautiful and easy. And some times those sorts of cars are actually slow. Given its a shakedown test in the wet, in what was the poorest wind conditions in the UK in 30 years I don't think they are reacting to performance but correlation to the Sim and general feedback.
Last edited by AeroDynamic on 19 Feb 2022, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

mclaren_mircea wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 10:35

Perhaps they are focussing, or perhaps Lewis mood is just very serious and not taking prisoners this year. If so the team around will reflect that also.

Doesn't reflect the performance necessarily.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Stu

SmallSoldier wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 08:52
Stu wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 07:45
SmallSoldier wrote:

Maybe is tricking me because of the apparent 8 in the W13… But in the past I could clearly see the GR, this time I can only see an “8”
Oh yeah! The number on the fin could read as an 8.
There was some movement towards legible numbering a few years ago, but the halo obscuring the cockpit really requires it.
If you look at last year’s Mercedes in TV footage, you cannot even see the ‘44’ on LH’s car, the Petronius badge stands out far more and looks like a ‘6’.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

AeroDynamic wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 11:41
I think you're reading a bit much into it. These are candid photos of their meeting, they aren't posing or thinking about being happy. They're focused and listening to Lewis' feedback as he goes through what I assume is telemetry data on the laptop.

A fast car doesn't mean it drives beautiful and easy. And some times those sorts of cars are actually slow. Given its a shakedown test in the wet, in what was the poorest wind conditions in the UK in 30 years I don't think they are reacting to performance but correlation to the Sim and general feedback.
I hope that you are right. But that wavy floor it was a disaster last year. It affected all the car aero dynamics and I thought that they ged rid of it for good. And now it appears again. Fingers crossed.

siskue2005

mclaren_mircea wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 11:58
AeroDynamic wrote:

I hope that you are right. But that wavy floor it was a disaster last year. It affected all the car aero dynamics and I thought that they ged rid of it for good. And now it appears again. Fingers crossed.
The wavy floor was not a disaster in isolation, it was the cut floor which caused all sorts of problems... this year with tunnel floors this wavy floor will seal the floor better

AeroDynamic

yeah, its too speculative to interpret the removal of the wavy floor as being a bad concept. It could well be the wavy floor edge concept wasn't the best solution for the problems of last years floor.

Stu

siskue2005 wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 12:36
mclaren_mircea wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 11:58
AeroDynamic wrote:

The wavy floor was not a disaster in isolation, it was the cut floor which caused all sorts of problems... this year with tunnel floors this wavy floor will seal the floor better
*maybe*

FTFY