Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Re: Mercedes W13

pantherxxx wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 14:41
siskue2005 wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 14:05

Great analysis by ex Mercedes f1 aerodynamists
21:18: "Now after reading the rules I genuinely don't understand how is this legal."

That's exactly what I think about this floor.
Hes not talking about the floor.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

cooken wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 14:14
Doesn't all this on track running fall under the filming day rules? Hence would they be required to release all the footage, or at least some of it, to the public?

Still very possible (likely) that a lot of the aero features are several design iterations old, or just very early conceptual things they want to get correlation with before committing further developments.
They have no obligation to release any of their own footage at any point. The filming days are to create images for use in their, and their sponsons marketing

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Mchamilton wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 15:55
pantherxxx wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:

21:18: "Now after reading the rules I genuinely don't understand how is this legal."

Hes not talking about the floor.
Sorry, yes he is talking the about a component on the floor. The tiny 'turning vane' ahead of the rear wheels. Hardly the be all and end all of aero devices

bosyber
bosyber

JPBD1990 wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 15:27
pantherxxx wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:

Kyle.engineers comments that the front and rear wings are among the most cranked we’ve seen so far. Given they’re relatively ‘inefficient’ aero surfaces compared to, for example, the underfloor and diffuser, does this suggest they’ve struggled to extract the downforce there and need it from the wings instead?

Or are they just doing a ‘downforce at all costs’ type approach…
Or it was specifically done for running the Silverstone shakedown/first run of the car on a wet day and track.

cooken
cooken

mrluke wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 15:51
cooken wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 14:14
Doesn't all this on track running fall under the filming day rules? Hence would they be required to release all the footage, or at least some of it, to the public?

Still very possible (likely) that a lot of the aero features are several design iterations old, or just very early conceptual things they want to get correlation with before committing further developments.
My understanding of the "filming days" is for the teams own marketing, why do you think there is an obligation to release the footage to the public?
Sure. I mean, marketing typically has the public as its target audience so...?

I guess my question was more around, are they allowed to run the car on track otherwise? When I get time I'll have to dig up the rules.

Shakeman

Mchamilton wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 15:59
Sorry, yes he is talking the about a component on the floor. The tiny 'turning vane' ahead of the rear wheels. Hardly the be all and end all of aero devices
I wouldn't even call it a 'turning vane' as it doesn't appear designed to turn air.

Filming days also double up as an unofficial test day so a more prosaic explanation for the device is that it is a sensor measuring some parameter of interest in that region be that tyre deflection or whatever <insert you best guess here>.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Shakeman wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 16:38
Mchamilton wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 15:59
I wouldn't even call it a 'turning vane' as it doesn't appear designed to turn air.

Filming days also double up as an unofficial test day so a more prosaic explanation for the device is that it is a sensor measuring some parameter of interest in that region be that tyre deflection or whatever <insert you best guess here>.
Yeah i was going to suggest its housing a tyre temp sensor if anything

SiLo

They aren't allowed to collect data on filming days right? But what if they launch the car like they did here with the pitot tubes as part of the launch, can they then collect data from that?

I'm not sure how the rules work there. I know they ran the Abu Dhabi grand prix with them before so they could use them at the test after to get around the rules.
Felipe Baby!

PlatinumZealot

Henri wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 07:16

Brilliant explanation by b-sport
He's basically copying what Kyle Engineers presents. He casually breezes over the step change in the wing like it's nothing whereas Kyle tells you the why and how. I'm not sure about this B-sport guy. :idea:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Ryar

JPBD1990 wrote:
pantherxxx wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:

Kyle.engineers comments that the front and rear wings are among the most cranked we’ve seen so far. Given they’re relatively ‘inefficient’ aero surfaces compared to, for example, the underfloor and diffuser, does this suggest they’ve struggled to extract the downforce there and need it from the wings instead?

I got to same questions looking at the difference between Ferrari and Merc rear wings.

'Downforce at all costs' is a risky exercise now as Honda has been on par with performance and noises from Ferrari claim they have regained a lot of power. The engine power is even more skewed situation due to E10. Unless, Merc have found a miracle fountain of power that then allows them to go for 2019 philosophy of 'Downforce at all costs' . The other plausible theory could be, this is once again an old iteration of the development phase and they have another, more advanced version scheduled to come out.
Hakuna Matata!

Shakeman

SiLo wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 17:10
They aren't allowed to collect data on filming days right?
I'm sure the promo director needed a super slo-mo of the rear tyre walls but unfortunately it has remained on the cutting room floor so far.

ayoubenq
ayoubenq

Vortex generation to reduce drag in the new mercedes F1 car

mkay
mkay

pantherxxx wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:

That may be why he’s not a Merc engineer anymore?

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

mkay wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 17:49
pantherxxx wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:

That may be why he’s not a Merc engineer anymore?
Right? Though, no doubt it's likely from burn out (working for yourself, if you can pull it off, is probably a better gig hours wise). Also, we don't even know what parts of the aero program he was involved in. He could have been a busy-be or been involved in a lot. That said, I really enjoy what Kyle is doing and am a fan of his channel, as I believe he is the most sincere in his analyst and is obviously very competent, and is honest about the limitations of these types of analysis.

Those calling out Merc, what specifically are they not legal on?
Last edited by Hoffman900 on 19 Feb 2022, 18:05, edited 4 times in total.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Ryar wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 17:30
JPBD1990 wrote:
pantherxxx wrote:

I got to same questions looking at the difference between Ferrari and Merc rear wings.

'Downforce at all costs' is a risky exercise now as Honda has been on par with performance and noises from Ferrari claim they have regained a lot of power. The engine power is even more skewed situation due to E10. Unless, Merc have found a miracle fountain of power that then allows them to go for 2019 philosophy of 'Downforce at all costs' . The other plausible theory could be, this is once again an old iteration of the development phase and they have another, more advanced version scheduled to come out.
Or they have an otherwise low drag car and so the wings aren't an issue.

Or they have just presented the car in its "it's wet for the filming day and we don't want to bend the new car" maximum downforce trim.

Or none of the teams have shown a representative car yet.

Or...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.