McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Marc.W

Re: McLaren MCL36

SmallSoldier wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 20:06
Nicktendo86 wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 19:50
SmallSoldier wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 19:13

I guess is because of his track record? This is his take at the MCL35, calling it “disappointing”

https://the-race.com/formula-1/gary-and ... ppointing/

That was the car that finished 3rd that season… He was also not very complimentary of the MCL34 either (which finished 4th), can’t post the article because it is under a paywall.

But yes, he allows his bias towards a team to cloud his analysis of such team… If you had a great season, your next car will be great (Mercedes, Red Bull), if you are coming from a drought you are disappoint (McLaren, Ferrari).

He really doesn’t say “why” either… He has a simple exit line and that is that he was “expecting more”, he won’t say what he was expecting… But I could have bet you a not insignificant amount of money that he was going to be amazed by Mercedes and Red Bull and disappointed with McLaren and Ferrari even before a single car was launched.
He praised the MP4-28 on launch as well lol
Is there a link? I would love a laugh… I called him out on twitter once and Matt Bishop blocked me… I wasn’t rude at all, simply stated what I have here and how they don’t ever write an article later saying “I was wrong on that one”
Praising the MP4-28 - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/formula1/21283726

The "hidden gems" of the MCL33 - https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/why-f ... 9/5110589/ Pay-wall but jist in title

"Looks like it could put McLaren back where it should be near the front of the field." on the MP4-29 - https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/why-f ... 9/5110589/

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Marc.W wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 20:19
SmallSoldier wrote:
Nicktendo86 wrote:

Is there a link? I would love a laugh… I called him out on twitter once and Matt Bishop blocked me… I wasn’t rude at all, simply stated what I have here and how they don’t ever write an article later saying “I was wrong on that one”

The "hidden gems" of the MCL33 - https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/why-f ... 9/5110589/ Pay-wall but jist in title

"Looks like it could put McLaren back where it should be near the front of the field." on the MP4-29 - https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/why-f ... 9/5110589/
Thank you! Really appreciated

LM10
LM10

Nicktendo86 wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
Shakeman wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 18:37

If you're so confident that Gary Anderson is wrong how about you explain why?

His points appear perfectly valid but over to you to refute them.
I guess is because of his track record? This is his take at the MCL35, calling it “disappointing”

https://the-race.com/formula-1/gary-and ... ppointing/

That was the car that finished 3rd that season… He was also not very complimentary of the MCL34 either (which finished 4th), can’t post the article because it is under a paywall.

But yes, he allows his bias towards a team to cloud his analysis of such team… If you had a great season, your next car will be great (Mercedes, Red Bull), if you are coming from a drought you are disappoint (McLaren, Ferrari).

He really doesn’t say “why” either… He has a simple exit line and that is that he was “expecting more”, he won’t say what he was expecting… But I could have bet you a not insignificant amount of money that he was going to be amazed by Mercedes and Red Bull and disappointed with McLaren and Ferrari even before a single car was launched.
As well as the Ferrari SF90 in 2019. Way into the season after it was crystal clear that Ferrari had a car which was unable to win races due to lack of downforce, he insisted on the car not being in the window or understood by the team yet.

Marc.W

FittingMechanics wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 19:47
SmallSoldier wrote:
Completely agree. It's all very transparent. Even in testing, he (and others) usually ignore the data, high fuel runs and race sims and focus on their gut feeling. Most teams that finished well last year will be predicted to be good next year, except if they are showing amazing amount of problems. I'm quite confident that if you painted any car Mercedes or Red Bull colors and showed him that he would find it good.

Btw it's quite telling that Kyle Engineers (who was a aerodynamicist working for Mercedes F1) in his analysis never really talks about performance, he is very clear that he cannot see if something is fast or not, that can't be understood without running simulations. Aero is very sensitive and can be counter intuitive plus you can't really tell which is better. Kyle explains concepts and ideas he sees, but never really talks about whether a car looks fast or not.

Gary Anderson is from an old school of F1 where they designed things on a sheet of paper and by gut feeling.

Btw I'd recommend Kyle Engineers as a channel to watch, I find him much more technical and interesting than other technical pundits (Scarbs for example).
Found Kyle's channel the other day and already hooked on his content, I believe it was the Ferrari video where he said "If someone tells you a car is fast just by looking at it they're lying to you" :lol:

Nicktendo86
Nicktendo86

Marc.W wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 20:19
SmallSoldier wrote:
Nicktendo86 wrote:

Thanks for the links!

Mansell89
Mansell89

Shakeman wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 18:37
Mansell89 wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 14:11
Gary Anderson has had a pop at our rear suspension, saying he can’t see the benefits of it as it raises centre of gravity and clutters up the upper gearbox area.

He’s also saying Mercedes car is how he would be how he would have approached these regs if still involved in F1.

That’s actually good news isn’t it? 😂
If you're so confident that Gary Anderson is wrong how about you explain why?

His points appear perfectly valid but over to you to refute them.
So it’s called a sense of humour mate.

You know- a light hearted, harmless chuckle about how Gary has, in recent seasons, normally got it a bit wrong.

Not every post on here need dissect technicalities 👍🏻

Stu

FittingMechanics wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 19:47
SmallSoldier wrote:
Completely agree. It's all very transparent. Even in testing, he (and others) usually ignore the data, high fuel runs and race sims and focus on their gut feeling. Most teams that finished well last year will be predicted to be good next year, except if they are showing amazing amount of problems. I'm quite confident that if you painted any car Mercedes or Red Bull colors and showed him that he would find it good.

Btw it's quite telling that Kyle Engineers (who was a aerodynamicist working for Mercedes F1) in his analysis never really talks about performance, he is very clear that he cannot see if something is fast or not, that can't be understood without running simulations. Aero is very sensitive and can be counter intuitive plus you can't really tell which is better. Kyle explains concepts and ideas he sees, but never really talks about whether a car looks fast or not.

Gary Anderson is from an old school of F1 where they designed things on a sheet of paper and by gut feeling.

Btw I'd recommend Kyle Engineers as a channel to watch, I find him much more technical and interesting than other technical pundits (Scarbs for example).
And just to put the boot in….
Other than the 191, most Jordan’s of his era went for *ahem* ‘underweight with a whiff of fuel’ glory runs during testing, but rarely showed significant pace during the season.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

f1rules
f1rules

Daniel arrived early today in barcelona, race team mechanics friday, can we hope for maybe a shakedown tomorrow? Fabrega mentioned on the 21. But if a shakedown requires a full dismantle to examine all parts and then have to reasemple everything for wednesday morning, maybe sunday would make more sense?

Emag
Emag

f1rules wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 02:30
Daniel arrived early today in barcelona, race team mechanics friday, can we hope for maybe a shakedown tomorrow? Fabrega mentioned on the 21. But if a shakedown requires a full dismantle to examine all parts and then have to reasemple everything for wednesday morning, maybe sunday would make more sense?
Surely we would have had some sort of feedback from the team if that was the case?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

It’s striking how far forward the new sidepod inlets are compared to the MCL35M (and previous cars), you can tell comparing with the base of the halo, with how much forward the sidepods are, you have to assume that radiators and other ancillaries have been moved towards the new space created with the forward sidepods, which should have had an impact not only on the volume required at the back (making it slimmer)… It also shows how much space has been gained from moving from Pull Rod to Push Rod in the rear based on the position of the rod itself in the previous cars:

Editing since originally I thought they could have moved COG forward, but learned that weight distribution is heavily regulated in the rules.
Last edited by SmallSoldier on 20 Feb 2022, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.

Henri
Henri

Wonder if the car will suit daniel more now.. since he struggled with the old car
?

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

f1rules wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 02:30
Some other teams are doing the shakedown on 22nd. I'm sure they will be fine and thus, McLaren as well with their shakedown on 21st.

CjC
CjC

SmallSoldier wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 03:39
It’s striking how far forward the new sidepod inlets are compared to the MCL35M (and previous cars), you can tell comparing with the base of the halo, with how much forward the sidepods are, you have to assume that radiators and other ancillaries have been moved towards the new space created with the forward sidepods, which should have had an impact not only on the volume required at the back (making it slimmer), but also moving the COG forward more towards the center of the car… It also shows how much space has been gained from moving from Pull Rod to Push Rod in the rear based on the position of the rod itself in the previous cars:

https://i.imgur.com/67QmU81.jpg
Interesting.
If your theory is correct moving the COG forward could harm the exceptional launches Mclaren sort of became renowned for last season and also the good traction characteristic.
However it could improve front rotation for the slow corners which have been an Achilles heel for Mclaren over the last few seasons?
Just a fan's point of view

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

CjC wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 10:23
SmallSoldier wrote:
It’s striking how far forward the new sidepod inlets are compared to the MCL35M (and previous cars), you can tell comparing with the base of the halo, with how much forward the sidepods are, you have to assume that radiators and other ancillaries have been moved towards the new space created with the forward sidepods, which should have had an impact not only on the volume required at the back (making it slimmer), but also moving the COG forward more towards the center of the car… It also shows how much space has been gained from moving from Pull Rod to Push Rod in the rear based on the position of the rod itself in the previous cars:

Interesting.
If your theory is correct moving the COG forward could harm the exceptional launches Mclaren sort of became renowned for last season and also the good traction characteristic.
However it could improve front rotation for the slow corners which have been an Achilles heel for Mclaren over the last few seasons?
I’m sure the team is taken that into consideration and trying to bring the best possible balance… I don’t think that moving COG forward would hamper the car’s acceleration, that’s more related to weight transfer and mechanical grip than where the weight resides passively

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

SmallSoldier wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 10:29
CjC wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 10:23
SmallSoldier wrote:

Interesting.
I’m sure the team is taken that into consideration and trying to bring the best possible balance… I don’t think that moving COG forward would hamper the car’s acceleration, that’s more related to weight transfer and mechanical grip than where the weight resides passively
It definitely has a lot to do with actual weight distribution. Simply look at how a 911 launches compared to basically anhthing else.