Rear/Front track width

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Belatti
Belatti

Re: Rear/Front track width

alelanza wrote:
Belatti wrote: That means that the outer wheel will loose some grip but the inner one will gain more than what the outer losses
You sure about that one? I think the smaller weight transfer accounts for a smaller loss of total grip, but grip does not increase linearly with weight, as your graph proves. Otherwise a heavier car would have the same braking distance as a lighter one under the same conditions no?
You are getting it all wrong #-o

"the smaller weight transfer accounts for a smaller loss of total grip" as you say is OK, but I have never ever said "grip does increase linearly with weight" and neither did the graph. Where do you see linearity ???

The graph is from Milliken book and I´ll have to trust it till I have a chance to test a racing tire myself or at least see a test protocol from a tire manufacturer.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

alelanza
alelanza

Re: Rear/Front track width

Belatti wrote: "the smaller weight transfer accounts for a smaller loss of total grip" as you say is OK, but I have never ever said "grip does increase linearly with weight" and neither did the graph. Where do you see linearity ???
Well you said "outer wheel will loose some grip but the inner one will gain more than what the outer losses", meaning total grip would increase, so how can it also be ok that i said "the smaller weight transfer accounts for a smaller loss of total grip" ?
For what you say to be true grip would have to increase not only linearly but exponentially or similar with weight no? did i misunderstand you?
Alejandro L.