2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jambier

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Mansell89 wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 00:34
Is that me or the DRS opening is huge!?

I love those new car except for the piece on top of the front wheels that also hide driver vision

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 01:32
Nothing wrong with boarding the hype train… But they still haven’t driven the car at speed, which means that it will be very hard to tell at this point if it behaves like in the simulator… They need some proper laps on actual race tires (not the ones for filming days)
I'm well aware. But at least we are not seeing worried faces. I'll take that as a positive. Overall I feel the team took some risks (suspension) and kept a simple yet previously effective aero direction. I'm hoping we close the gap further and challenge for wins more often this year.

I know, it's a big ask but this type of rules change is when things can shake up. If I am not optimistic this year when can I be :).

bauc

FittingMechanics wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 10:37
SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 01:32
Nothing wrong with boarding the hype train… But they still haven’t driven the car at speed, which means that it will be very hard to tell at this point if it behaves like in the simulator… They need some proper laps on actual race tires (not the ones for filming days)
I'm well aware. But at least we are not seeing worried faces. I'll take that as a positive. Overall I feel the team took some risks (suspension) and kept a simple yet previously effective aero direction. I'm hoping we close the gap further and challenge for wins more often this year.

I know, it's a big ask but this type of rules change is when things can shake up. If I am not optimistic this year when can I be :).
I'm a bit worried for the team, but I se the drivers are feeling good so that is always a good sing. As for the pull rod, it is no risk, its just made for aero benefits.... don't forget that now we have 18inc wheels and geometry is more kind for pull rod compared to 13inch...
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mclaren111

jumpingfish wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 18:48
Interesting rear wing..
https://i.imgur.com/p6J5Auo.png

Interesting in what way ?

mclaren111

Livery looks great in sunlight... I Love the Orange FW... =D> =D>
Last edited by mclaren111 on 22 Feb 2022, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.

Balalu
Balalu

What the team do or don't do at this stage is not what worries me. What does give me some concerns are the comments made by Mercedes, RedBull and Ferrari.

When they talk about top competition, they exclusively talk about these three teams (sometimes mentioning other teams, but not being very credible at it), such as "how we missed Ferrari at the front", "how we look forward to fighting RedBull again for the championships", etc.

They show how they believe (or know?) how untouchable they are, the exclusive pack at the front. They definitely know more than we do, and sometimes I wonder, how things stand, if there is ever a credible chance for teams such as ours to become regular winners again.

I'm very confident in, and pleased with this team, but the F1 situation with b-teams and the connections those 3 teams have with other teams should be a major concern.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Balalu wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 12:20
What the team do or don't do at this stage is not what worries me. What does give me some concerns are the comments made by Mercedes, RedBull and Ferrari.

When they talk about top competition, they exclusively talk about these three teams (sometimes mentioning other teams, but not being very credible at it), such as "how we missed Ferrari at the front", "how we look forward to fighting RedBull again for the championships", etc.

They show how they believe (or know?) how untouchable they are, the exclusive pack at the front. They definitely know more than we do, and sometimes I wonder, how things stand, if there is ever a credible chance for teams such as ours to become regular winners again.

I'm very confident in, and pleased with this team, but the F1 situation with b-teams and the connections those 3 teams have with other teams should be a major concern.
You may be reading too much into their comments, which are mainly based on what has happened in the grid during the last 10 years in which McLaren has really not been a force at the front of the field… During the hybrid era, it has been dominated by Mercedes, who has fought some seasons against Ferrari and some against Red Bull… the “Top 3” have been the constant during this era and is normal that you would talk about fighting the current WCC and the team that got the WDC… McLaren hasn’t done enough in the past few years to be a part of that conversation, it has nothing to do with inside information in regards to their performance this season (just as in the past, comments from Toto saying that McLaren could be a challenger in the new season were off the mark too).

Balalu
Balalu

Ok, but the 'top 3' are still in bed with other teams, McLaren is on its own. That could be the extra 1% those teams need to stay in front.

Jambier

On the other side, Alpine is a factory team with its own engine and so on, but they are still not in the top teams.

They should be as they have the advantages of doing châssis and engine but it is not the reality for now

MrGapes

Balalu wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 12:41
Ok, but the 'top 3' are still in bed with other teams, McLaren is on its own. That could be the extra 1% those teams need to stay in front.
I think its foolish to make assumption even before the first testing has even started, and based on a few articles. I don't understand how "B" teams give performance advantage to the top teams, It's more the other way around, the only advantage of a B team is fielding more drivers from a specific program, and when teams vote for regulation change.

djos

MrGapes wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 14:32
Balalu wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 12:41
I think its foolish to make assumption even before the first testing has even started, and based on a few articles. I don't understand how "B" teams give performance advantage to the top teams, It's more the other way around, the only advantage of a B team is fielding more drivers from a specific program, and when teams vote for regulation change.
I couldn’t agree more!

Even Kyle (former Mercedes F1 aerodynamicist) says anyone claiming to know a car is fast by looking at pictures is a liar. See 28 mins in to his Ferrari analysis.

We won’t have really a firm idea of car speed until at least one or two races are complete.
"In downforce we trust"

Mclarenfanboy
Mclarenfanboy

Looks fat, boring and slow, and those colours, more like a toy than racing machine, Ferrari looks like it is a piece of art in comparison. Hope it s faster than it looks. [-o<

Emag
Emag

Mclarenfanboy wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 15:52
Looks fat, boring and slow, and those colours, more like a toy than racing machine, Ferrari looks like it is a peice of art in comparison. Hope it s faster than it looks. [-o<
Funny how for some reason McLaren seems fat to you, yet you think Ferrari is a piece of art. But Ferrari is literally, together with Aston, the widest car on this year's grid.

Balalu
Balalu

Emag wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 16:28
Mclarenfanboy wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 15:52
Looks fat, boring and slow, and those colours, more like a toy than racing machine, Ferrari looks like it is a peice of art in comparison. Hope it s faster than it looks. [-o<
Funny how for some reason McLaren seems fat to you, yet you think Ferrari is a piece of art. But Ferrari is literally, together with Aston, the widest car on this year's grid.
McLaren looks like a mascular lean athlete. Ferrari looks like a skinny pregnant cat with a large litter. (Or a skinny fat anteater.)

Aston Martin: same as Ferrari, but even a larger litter.

Sorry, couldn't help it 😅

On a serious note, pre-season testing is tomorrow!
Last edited by Balalu on 22 Feb 2022, 19:34, edited 2 times in total.

mwillems

There are more important parts on this years car that we can't see than last year, and less in number of important details that we can see.

The Mercedes does look to the naked eye as if it is one or two iterations further down the line than Mclaren, but that doesn't mean that those iterations work.

Roll on tomorrow.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit