Red Bull RB5

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
meves
meves

Re: Red Bull RB5

How much of a redesign is this for the RBR car? For the non-RBR cars I guess it's a new floor and diffuser but due to the RBRs suspension will htey have to completely redesign the rear end fo the car?

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Very nice picture, click for hi-res

djos

meves wrote:How much of a redesign is this for the RBR car? For the non-RBR cars I guess it's a new floor and diffuser but due to the RBRs suspension will htey have to completely redesign the rear end fo the car?
I honestly dont think it will require a change to the suspension design at all.
"In downforce we trust"

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

djos wrote:
meves wrote:How much of a redesign is this for the RBR car? For the non-RBR cars I guess it's a new floor and diffuser but due to the RBRs suspension will htey have to completely redesign the rear end fo the car?
I honestly dont think it will require a change to the suspension design at all.
It is a pity that imightbewrong's picture doesn't show the full suspension set-up (good photo by the way - not dissing it at all!).

It is obvious the pull rod pick-up point is not a problem, only people that don't understand what they are talking about say otherwise.

But from that (imightbewrong) picture, it does look as if the gearbox bottom surface extends backward. That will be a problem if it extends significantly far back.

xpensive
xpensive

Interesting point kilcoo, during the early venturi-days, Arrows once build a car, the A2 in 1979 I think, with the Cosworth and gear-box combo tilted a few degrees upwards to the rear in order to make way for the tunnels.

Wouldn't be too surprised to see that idea reborn now?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

timbo
timbo

xpensive wrote:Interesting point kilcoo, during the early venturi-days, Arrows once build a car, the A2 in 1979 I think, with the Cosworth and gear-box combo tilted a few degrees upwards to the rear in order to make way for the tunnels.

Wouldn't be too surprised to see that idea reborn now?
It would mean redesign of the gearbox anyway. And if you want to tilt engine too it is engine, auxes and monocoque!
I think gearbox and rear crush structure is is designed to make much use the lower part of the rear wing a lot that contradicts high diffuser...

djos

Based on this pic, i think that Newey could, at the very least, easily add Toyotas wider higher channel into the rear crash structure.

"In downforce we trust"

zgred

djos wrote:Based on this pic, i think that Newey could, at the very least, easily add Toyotas wider higher channel into the rear crash structure.

Close up here:

djos

Thanks, that looks compatible with Toyota's solution to me. 8)
"In downforce we trust"

xpensive
xpensive

Now with the genie out of the bottle, I think we ain't seen nothing yet in terms of innovative diffusers until engineers such as Willis, Newey, Bell, Oatley and Byrne/Costa have a go.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

djos

xpensive wrote:Now with the genie out of the bottle, I think we ain't seen nothing yet in terms of innovative diffusers until engineers such as Willis, Newey, Bell, Oatley and Byrne/Costa have a go.
Too right, Red Bull, Ferrari & MacLaren will make big strides forward once they integrate their own DDD's.
"In downforce we trust"

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

If Newey can get the RBR DDD right, the car will go like s*** off a shovel!! :lol: :lol:
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

djos

ben_watkins wrote:If Newey can get the RBR DDD right, the car will go like s*** off a shovel!! :lol: :lol:
I sure hope so and considering how quick it is now without, it I reckon we'd be at least on par with BrawnGP. 8)
"In downforce we trust"

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

dave34m
dave34m

That shark fin attached to the rear wing really makes it look like a F1 stationwagon.
Its really an unsual design that really works for them, hope it doesnt catch on.