Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
LM10
LM10

Re: Ferrari F1-75

AeroDynamic wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 14:48
Not even blurred shots from behind.

Sevach
Sevach

From Sainz Instagram.

ema00
ema00

I don't know if it is fast but this car is a piece of art

mariusdk
mariusdk

Anyone else thinks that changing a damaged nose during a pit stop will be more difficult?

The access just looks very awkward.

Sevach
Sevach

Radiator positioning.

godlameroso

You sure it's flat and not angled inward? We can assume the louvers are the cooling exits it would make sense to maximize the surface area of the radiators relative to the louvers(that's why you slant the radiator).
Saishū kōnā

Stu

Nope! That is the entrance to the side-pod through-flow tunnel. The radiator inlet is the small square opening next to it.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Vanja #66

Stu wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 19:07
Nope! That is the entrance to the side-pod through-flow tunnel. The radiator inlet is the small square opening next to it.
Nice catch! It's actually carbon fiber weave, not radiator. The outer portion of the intake must be for intercoolers.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Downforce
Downforce

More like a tunnel for flow management. You are forbidden to have external flow conditioners, but nobody said nothing about internal flow conditioners...

Outer grills are there to shape the flow through indent on top side of the sidepods , while those inboard are used for cooling purposes.

JPower
JPower

Could it be possible that they found that ducting air inside the pod and exiting out in the opening at the back of the provides some type of efficiency advantage?

Some were saying the opening for the suspension arm was just for hot air but if what you all are saying is correct, maybe its there to feed even more air to the beam wing area...

Stu

JPower wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 20:51
Could it be possible that they found that ducting air inside the pod and exiting out in the opening at the back of the provides some type of efficiency advantage? Some were saying it was for hot air if what you all are saying is correct, maybe its there to feed even more air to the beam wing area...

https://i.imgur.com/sy2NnSS.png
That is exactly what I think that they are doing. Other than the louvres the rules forbid cooling outlets within the wheelbase, I think that the outlet for this piece is where the suspension enters the bodywork (it looks to be quite oversized for it to be just for the suspension arm).
They had reasonably small side pods last year, I see no reason why they need all of the volume that they have now for cooling. The external bodywork can then be used to control the wheel wake (and keeping it away from the beam wing) - the CFD study by @Vanja66, @jjn9128 & @Vyssion shows that to good for drag reduction. The internal flow can then be used to ‘boost’ the beam wing flow.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Downforce
Downforce

And if it's not cooling outlet then it can be as large as they want...suspension arm is just an excuse...

jumpingfish

Stu wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 21:00
JPower wrote:
Could it be possible that they found that ducting air inside the pod and exiting out in the opening at the back of the provides some type of efficiency advantage? Some were saying it was for hot air if what you all are saying is correct, maybe its there to feed even more air to the beam wing area...

That is exactly what I think that they are doing. Other than the louvres the rules forbid cooling outlets within the wheelbase, I think that the outlet for this piece is where the suspension enters the bodywork (it looks to be quite oversized for it to be just for the suspension arm).
They had reasonably small side pods last year, I see no reason why they need all of the volume that they have now for cooling. The external bodywork can then be used to control the wheel wake (and keeping it away from the beam wing) - the CFD study by @Vanja66, @jjn9128 & @Vyssion shows that to good for drag reduction. The internal flow can then be used to ‘boost’ the beam wing flow.
Like this? Blue one is an air inside those "sausages"

Stu

jumpingfish wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 21:29
Stu wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 21:00
JPower wrote:

Like this? Blue one is an air inside those "sausages"
https://i.imgur.com/8yADz05.jpg
Yep.

tpe
tpe

I am confused.
I like the side of the car, but I don't necessarily like the whole car.
I find it strange that the floor, which in theory is the most important element of this formula looks so simple. Of course they could hide things, but we are less that 18 hours before the very first test of the season.
Even AR, or AT have a much more developed floor. I really hope they hide the floor, because from what we saw so far they, probably, have some catch up work to do!