McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Zynerji

Re: McLaren MCL36

Emag wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 15:30
I would say it's pointless to try and extract information about handling characteristics on a show run.

I don't think either of the drivers were going anywhere near as fast as you would expect them to on a normal weekend.

If we get some footage of a relatively fast lap from testing, then I would be happy to speculate. But for these laps, in my opinion, is not worth the time.
We know that F1 cars don't steer well at low speeds. The new cars look absolutely PLANTED even at 75% speed...

godlameroso

Saishū kōnā

McFAN
McFAN

That explains the creases in the halo :lol:
FIA jump test.

BOEING>AIRBUS
BOEING>AIRBUS

It does. But it happened quite easily don't you guys think? Drivers tend to step on the halo whilst getting out of their cars. This is certainly not the first time I've seen a driver get out like this.

Xero

Marc.W wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 12:48
Really apparent how thick the t-tray is here, what could be the theory behind this?
The thickness could allow the generated vortices to stay inboard, feeding the inner tunnel section. You can see the central vanes connect just before it ramps down, so rather than feed the central section it's casting into the first of the side tunnels. The whole McLaren concept appears to be centred around maximising the tunnels effectiveness with good clean airflow.

Edit: on closer inspection, there appears to be a ridge at the top of the tray sidewall, which may spawn more vortices to energise the ones below. The central vane behind it also has a ridge which will energise the vortices even further. The bottom of the t-tray also appears to have a subtle wavy shape, much like the Mercedes floor (it may just be an artefact of image upscaling, so would need to see another pic to confirm, but seems too small to be truly effective).

AeroDynamic

luke352
luke352

Marc.W wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 21:03
luke352 wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 20:58

Looks different to me. Could be camera artifact in that bottom image, though.
Launch spec to me would be the physical car at launch, not the render
[/quote]

Yeah I was referring to the car at the MTC live stream launch not the render and the car at shakedown. Some images made it look different but I've seen some more images from that MTC launch and yeah just looks to be very angle dependent it can look quite different.

DiogoBrand

I said a few days ago that my first guess would be that these cars would have softer suspension. It seems I had it completely backwards, it looks so stiff it might almost have no suspension at all.

PhillipM
PhillipM

I mean everything with tunnels and the removal of some of the interlinking systems pointed at having to run much harder suspension. I don't know why people though it would be softer.

DiogoBrand

PhillipM wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 04:03
I mean everything with tunnels and the removal of some of the interlinking systems pointed at having to run much harder suspension. I don't know why people though it would be softer.
I wasn't aware of suspension components being simplified, but I thought last year's cars required stiffer suspension because of all the complicated aero appendages and the fact that they had to generate DF from a flat floor with big rake angles.
But yeah, that's not the case. I think it will be cool to see the cars behaving pretty much like go karts. Maybe they'll look like the ones from the early 2000's in this aspect.

f1rules
f1rules

some mentioned if we would se more undercut on the mclaren, doesnt seem like it

Thunder

Speculations about how Laptimes will develop have been moved to the Team Thread.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

f1rules
f1rules

A little better look at mcl's front floor and entrance, the strakes seem pretty straigth forward, and some floor edge stuff going on. All in all, this strikes me as a very clean, do i dare call it immature car. Seem they wanted to focus on, a very healthy basis concept which they can build from and which they can verify/learn without to many distractions. A very mclarensk approach.

Last edited by f1rules on 23 Feb 2022, 09:46, edited 2 times in total.

DragonSGC
DragonSGC

f1rules wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 09:06
a little better look at mcl's front floor and entrance, the strakes seem pretty straigth forward

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FMQ1NdCXwAA ... name=small
Good look at the channel between the venturi tunnels and the chassis though, fed by the bib/t-tray.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

f1rules wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 09:06
a little better look at mcl's front floor and entrance, the strakes seem pretty straigth forward

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FMQ1NdCXwAA ... name=small
I’m hoping we will get some close ups in the next couple of days