Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: Red Bull RB18

RB18 on track:

Last edited by organic on 23 Feb 2022, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

scheffers
scheffers

some cm squat / ride height adjustment

DAMNINice

IMHO... This car is 100% developed as a front runner.
All the details with kinks and dents trying to have a perfect airflow to maximise the aero package normally only works to it's maximum when the air is flowing as intended.

In the last years it was perfectly visible with the Mercedes having the most complex of bargeboard shapes etc. where the airflow had to follow one perfect path. Otherwise they were struggeling.
Their drop in performance following cars was bigger then for anyone else.

This RB18 seems to follow the same principle.
Go first or go home.

I already pointed out the airstream sensitivity of the sidepod inlet and when you follow along the car, a lot of these channels and floor openings follow the philosophy to maximise performance in case everything is perfect.

I might be wrong but I think it is clear that a floor performance which is dependand on the perfect flow of vortices etc. is loosing more efficiency when there is slight imnperfection of the airflow.

Can't wait to see proper fighting :)
REal men play with twins!

ojir19

organic wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 13:06
RB18 on track:

is that dust or smoke ?
okhörosinc bandhi-bandhi, mœnoghujlu sil ɥmhpleöng, kêmphád chømu kwærthwono

DAMNINice

ojir19 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 13:16
organic wrote:
RB18 on track:

is that dust or smoke ?
I think it is tire smoke carried into the corner..
Might have locked a wheel being a bit late on the brakes.
REal men play with twins!

Dee
Dee

DAMNINice wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 13:13
All the details with kinks and dents trying to have a perfect airflow to maximise the aero package normally only works to it's maximum when the air is flowing as intended.

In the last years it was perfectly visible with the Mercedes having the most complex of bargeboard shapes etc. where the airflow had to follow one perfect path. Otherwise they were struggeling.

Go first or go home.

I already pointed out the airstream sensitivity of the sidepod inlet and when you follow along the car, a lot of these channels and floor openings follow the philosophy to maximise performance in case everything is perfect.

I might be wrong but I think it is clear that a floor performance which is dependand on the perfect flow of vortices etc. is loosing more efficiency when there is slight imnperfection of the airflow.

That only affected Bottas didn't it? Hamilton seemed to have no problem following cars and I doubt that Max will either

Shakeman

DAMNINice wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 13:13

Go first or go home.

Exactly my feeling too.

I can't wait to see what happens when the sidepods are staved of air following a car in front. Is that why VER ended up in the gravel earlier?

Wouter

Morteza wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 12:21
Nice one! Thanks!
The Power of Dreams!

Vanja #66

If there are people interested, I could make an effort and examine the RB18-style sidepods as well. Although it's fairly clear what their design direction is and what they are doing in different areas...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

dxpetrov
dxpetrov

Somehow I dont feel we've seen the final solution to the sidepods. The additional panels that are placed on top of the painted bodywork seem to cover an additional undercut behind that is more flowing and connected to the front.

ojir19

they removed the sensor, but what are those "3 dots" ? .... I dont think those are holes

Last edited by ojir19 on 23 Feb 2022, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.

AeroDynamic

ojir19 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 13:16
organic wrote:
RB18 on track:

is that dust or smoke ?
Last edited by AeroDynamic on 23 Feb 2022, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.

AeroDynamic

its interesting that the RB18 has the widows-peak cut out on the rear wing like the last cars in a pronounced way, compared to all the new cars

Last edited by AeroDynamic on 23 Feb 2022, 13:40, edited 1 time in total.

ojir19

gandharva

Look how it's perfectly aligned with the inner bargeboard section. I'm pretty sure once the car goes straight that it will align to the outer bargeboard element.