McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Zynerji

Re: McLaren MCL36

FWandE wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 13:17
Emag wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 12:55
Its baffling how people just assume a whole team of engineers "just forgot" to put an undercut on the car. #-o

Guys, everything you see on all cars is backed by enourmous amount of R&D, plus a lot of very smart people.

If you see something implemented a certain way on a car, then it is implemented that way because it was deemed as the most optimal solution by the aforementioned team of people.
You make a good point but I worked for 35 years in University research departments. Lots of very smart people were guilty of "inside the box" thinking and sometimes found it difficult to step back and rethink the bigger picture for a new/radical & better solution.
Of the current crop of F1 cars Ferrari seem to have the most "outside the box" package, but will it be fast? First timings I've seen suggest it might be but it is very early days.
You, legitimately, just described the crux of my professional life! 🤣🤣 I'm the guy that gets in the ring to fight that fight!

I love Ferraris solution. Let's hope it works a treat!

BBeanBlanx
BBeanBlanx

Those brake ducts ( or lack of them) is just incredible to see. When the renders came out I assumed they had been omitted like Aston martins suspension leg. And yet they are using the flow viz on the same areas so surely this really is how the team is planning to run the car.

Could they be trying to cook the brakes and introduce more heat into the tyres with these tiny sliver ducts?

Macklaren
Macklaren

So what do the aero gurus think of these "stitches" on the floor? Radical/clever or no?

bauc

BBeanBlanx wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 14:24
Those brake ducts ( or lack of them) is just incredible to see. When the renders came out I assumed they had been omitted like Aston martins suspension leg. And yet they are using the flow viz on the same areas so surely this really is how the team is planning to run the car.

Could they be trying to cook the brakes and introduce more heat into the tyres with these tiny sliver ducts?
Okey, but if they are trying to cook the brakes, how on earth will they cool them down?! I'm really intrigued as well by this solution of Mclaren.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

panchutay
panchutay

that tea tray looks quite intriguing. MCL36 seems to be the only car where the raised front floor intakes do not connect to the cockpit. I wonder how this aero concept works? it seems like air will to flow through that "canal" between front floor and cockpit, up over the front floor intakes, then along the sidepods...

Seems to be an integral part of the thought process behind the lack of an undercut.

the EDGE
the EDGE

bauc wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 14:40
BBeanBlanx wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 14:24

Okey, but if they are trying to cook the brakes, how on earth will they cool them down?! I'm really intrigued as well by this solution of Mclaren.
Can’t remember where but I read that this is what break ducts used to be like before they started blowing through the wheels, and that they never had issues then, so why would they now

Xero

The brakes only need that amount of cooling. The large scoops of old were simply to blow the front axel/wheel nut to manage airflows down the sides, which is no longer possible.
Last edited by Xero on 23 Feb 2022, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.

mclaren111

Some strakes under the floor...

AliMc
AliMc

Interesting to see the top of tea tray splitting the airflow from the centre up and over the tunnels and then across front of sidepods. Is this unique to the mclaren? I haven't seen the same solution elsewhere.

AeroDynamic

lucafo

f1rules wrote:Image
So the upper side impact structure is behind the radiators!
It seems this is the only team to have this approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc.W

Do the side impact structures have to be parallel?

F1_CoolFan
F1_CoolFan

Marc.W wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 15:21
I would assume so yes, it would create some weight distribution effects if they weren't. You want the car as parallel as possible.

Xero

AliMc wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 15:10
Interesting to see the top of tea tray splitting the airflow from the centre up and over the tunnels and then across front of sidepods. Is this unique to the mclaren? I haven't seen the same solution elsewhere.
Just had a look through all the cars, as far as I can tell only Alfa Romeo have a similar scoop down the inside, but it doesn't go all the down to the t-tray floor. Definitely a unique feature to the McLaren.

Marc.W

F1_CoolFan wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 15:36
Marc.W wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 15:21
I would assume so yes, it would create some weight distribution effects if they weren't. You want the car as parallel as possible.
I mean parallel top/bottom not parallel side/side