Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mitch2.0

Re: Red Bull RB18

Zynerji wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 15:35
Mitch2.0 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 15:29
Zynerji wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 13:53

Rear brake ducts blowing the underside of the wing?
I’m not sure that’s a valid retort, the fact is no team wastes CFD or tunnel time simulating another car being in front of theirs.

So saying ‘The RedBull is designed to work in clear air’, which is essentially what you said, is a moot point.
I was talking about the brake duct exit that aims at the underside of the rear wing.

Maybe I quoted the wrong post? 🤔
Ah, never mind then pal, crossed wires.

godlameroso

Any pictures of the floor strakes?
Saishū kōnā

F1_CoolFan
F1_CoolFan

Bill wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 15:15
cars with indercut on sidepod are nothing new it has been done before by one of tbe small teams i just forgot which one.what interesting is the Honda logo is still on the car .Rbr wont be buiding pu like the story they sold us .Honda is playing games the got f1 to abandon token system know they got themto abandon devepment just when their pu is top notch.
They're not playing games, to them it's just easy money. They now don't have to spend a penny on development as the designs are set. Just build and supply to RB & AT, they're not going to be learning anything new which was the reason they came back into the sport.
It wasn't just Honda wanting to freeze engine development..

AeroDynamic

Stu

dxpetrov wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 13:32
Somehow I dont feel we've seen the final solution to the sidepods. The additional panels that are placed on top of the painted bodywork seem to cover an additional undercut behind that is more flowing and connected to the front.
I was thinking exactly the same; there is something slightly off about them….

The floor-edge-wing looks very groovy!!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Stu

Vanja #66 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 13:28
If there are people interested, I could make an effort and examine the RB18-style sidepods as well. Although it's fairly clear what their design direction is and what they are doing in different areas...
Please do! But I have a feeling that you might want to be running it again after Bahrain testing!!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

godlameroso

Stu wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 16:02
dxpetrov wrote:
Somehow I dont feel we've seen the final solution to the sidepods. The additional panels that are placed on top of the painted bodywork seem to cover an additional undercut behind that is more flowing and connected to the front.

Like the Ferrari they have a lot of space to play around with, because the cooling is so compact. They could probably pull in the sidepods by 75mm if they wanted to. The pontoon around 'ORACLE' is pretty much empty space.
Saishū kōnā

miguelalvesreis
miguelalvesreis

Stu wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 16:02
dxpetrov wrote:

To me it seems that the sidepods were reworked to be tighter. Seems that the original layout was more following the line on the floor

Wouter

Stu wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 16:05
Vanja #66 wrote:
If there are people interested, I could make an effort and examine the RB18-style sidepods as well. Although it's fairly clear what their design direction is and what they are doing in different areas...
Please do! But I have a feeling that you might want to be running it again after Bahrain testing!!
I think so too.

The Power of Dreams!

godlameroso

If it were me, I'd make the test car as modular as possible so I could test as many different configurations as possible. With only 6 days to get real world results, knowing those results are going to guide your development for the next 5 months, I'd want as much data as possible.

Machine learning has come on in leaps and bounds, but you have to feed it good data first, otherwise garbage in garbage out.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Wouter wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 16:20
Stu wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:
I think so too.

If they prevent it in Bahrain, then what? They'll have to revert to Barcelona spec?
Saishū kōnā

tmoneyr007
tmoneyr007

Looks like some small intake/ducts on the rear of the sidepod.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/195069426 ... res/38P51q

e30ernest
e30ernest

This car is my current favorite so far.
So looking at these, perhaps the undercut isn't as extreme as they seem. I think the lower inlet lip makes the undercut of the sidepod itself look way bigger.

The front suspension is a really interesting design too.

Really impressive work by Red Bull here!

SiLo

godlameroso wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 16:22
Wouter wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 16:20
Stu wrote:

I think so too.

If they prevent it in Bahrain, then what? They'll have to revert to Barcelona spec?
I'm wondering the same, if something is illegal or in a grey area, the FIA will absolutely step in. Really the purpose will be to just hide it from other teams.
Felipe Baby!

AeroDynamic

Wouter wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 16:35
You've gotten 110 upvotes in the last few weeks for posting photos of the new 2022 cars without further explanation.
I thought the new rating system was meant to indicate if someone has a lot of technical knowledge on this Technical Forum.
I'm definitely not saying you don't have technical insight, but posting pictures has nothing to do with technical knowledge.
These upvotes mean "Thank you for the photos" right?
I don't think this is fair to other members who post valuable information in threads where you can't vote.
well, I have made an effort to keep the forum up to date and provided with images that encourage and support discussion technically. I try to learn more technical things from the commentary they may provoke.

thanks for showing your appreciation...

on topic: