2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

We can be sure that McLaren did not do a glory run. They did not do it previous years, they will not do it this year.

Macklaren
Macklaren

After a day of staring at pictures, I think the livery is growing on me. The shade change is shocking but looks good in clear, unfiltered photos (OTOH, photo filters make it look terrible).

I think the only part of the livery I do not like are the blue circles on the wheel covers -- they are so small that they detract from the new 18" wheel size -- all the other teams (even Merc that has a similar internal circle) have made the wheels look huge by highlighting the outermost circumference.

Anywho, speed is what matters but this is the first season in decades that McLaren does not have one of the best liveries on the grid (IMO)

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

I sincerely hope that the reports on the agile turn in point towards some real green shoots of potential. I’m still reserving judgement on the “bargeboard”/ tunnel effectiveness. It looks to be at an earlier design stage than the traditional top runners. But the car looks clean/low-ish aero drag and hopefully a platform that is modular enough to bolt on performance as they learn to optimise the car

Xero

From Mark Hughes;

At the demanding turn 2-3 sequence – where exiting the left-hander of 2 put you on a compromised shallow line into 3 – there’s one car which is managing this extremely well.

Maybe it just has less fuel on board than the Mercedes and Ferrari which are running at the same time, maybe it’s just because its tyres are fresher. But Lando Norris’ McLaren is dynamite through here, with enough grip to allow him to sweep hard left after 2 to get a far wider, more advantageous, line into the long Turn 3. Every lap.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Xero wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 19:26
From Mark Hughes;

At the demanding turn 2-3 sequence – where exiting the left-hander of 2 put you on a compromised shallow line into 3 – there’s one car which is managing this extremely well.

Maybe it just has less fuel on board than the Mercedes and Ferrari which are running at the same time, maybe it’s just because its tyres are fresher. But Lando Norris’ McLaren is dynamite through here, with enough grip to allow him to sweep hard left after 2 to get a far wider, more advantageous, line into the long Turn 3. Every lap.
I’m keen to see if Daniel will be as comfortable in that section of the track tomorrow, the turn 2-3 sequence.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Arcanum
Arcanum

Darth-Piekus wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 19:11
Arcanum wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 19:01
In recent years, the more technical journalists (like Mark Hughes) have speculated that McLaren run around mid-fuel levels (60kg IIRC) and have the engine turned down. If that's how the team choose to go testing, why change this year? If so, being around the top of the timesheets not a bad thing (though if we tire correct McLaren are still behind Ferrari).

Sure, being around the top of the timesheets doesn't mean much at this stage of testing, but it's (obviously) much better than being at the bottom of the timesheets!
I think Lando is still on top even if you take the tyre difference between C3 and C4.
Yes, you're right.

Darth-Piekus

I also noticed a trend that Mclaren becomes better and better each year with the car moving closer and closer to first place normalcy.

_cerber1

What is the reaction of Lando and team leaders to the behavior of the car?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

_cerber1 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 20:54
What is the reaction of Lando and team leaders to the behavior of the car?

Marc.W

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

the EDGE
the EDGE

Interesting he didn’t want to be P1 yet set this lap at the end of the day… was he expecting to be slower than he was, and the pace even surprised him?

Where ever McLaren end up… that’s 1 happy Lando we have right now

AeroDynamic

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 21:20
Interesting he didn’t want to be P1 yet set this lap at the end of the day… was he expecting to be slower than he was, and the pace even surprised him?

Where ever McLaren end up… that’s 1 happy Lando we have right now
I believe that they are trying really hard to keep a low profile, stay out of the limelight and avoid high expectations (and the disappointments that can come up from it)… Although, I would love for it to be the case that they simply have way too much pace and are struggling to hide it!

Macklaren
Macklaren

interesting mention of the "niggles". Sounds like they expect to do well over 100 laps/day in the coming days