McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Emag
Emag

Re: McLaren MCL36

CjC wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 23:28
Emag wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 23:26
Does anyone know if any onboard footage will come out from this test? It's a damn shame if there is not. You read a bit into potential fuel loads and handling characteristics from an onboard video. Would have liked to see the onboard video of Lando's lap today for example. A lot of people are just straight up saying it was a glory run (which doesn't make sense why McLaren would do this to be honest), but I don't think it was a glory run as the stint was long-ish and the speed trap numbers were not that high.
Who’s claiming it’s a glory run?
Don't want to go too off-topic here, but generally speaking, most people in social media are downplaying them hard.

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 23:33
CjC wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 23:28
Emag wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 23:26
Does anyone know if any onboard footage will come out from this test? It's a damn shame if there is not. You read a bit into potential fuel loads and handling characteristics from an onboard video. Would have liked to see the onboard video of Lando's lap today for example. A lot of people are just straight up saying it was a glory run (which doesn't make sense why McLaren would do this to be honest), but I don't think it was a glory run as the stint was long-ish and the speed trap numbers were not that high.
Who’s claiming it’s a glory run?
Don't want to go too off-topic here, but generally speaking, most people in social media are downplaying them hard.
Me neither.

I’m not too concerned about what social media have to say
Just a fan's point of view

billamend
billamend

Reportedly, most teams were having troubles lowering the floor because the cars started to bounce. Given that McLaren apparently got the floor low really early is a good sign for their suspension I reckon.

ChronicSonic
ChronicSonic

Emag wrote:but I don't think it was a glory run as the stint was long-ish and the speed trap numbers were not that high.
All their doing is very boring runs to make sure what they measure on the track equals with what they have in their models (CFD/WindTunnel).

This is very important work as the rest of the year development program is dependent on it.

This is a new car, newly born. Toddlers also need to get their bearings first. Especially with a front & rear suspension switch up!

The next test in Bahrain is where it gets a bit more interesting.

DiogoBrand

CjC wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 23:41
Me neither.

I’m not too concerned about what social media have to say
The secret is to not get exited with the time or concerned about what people have to say about it.

f1rules
f1rules

can see i forgot this from amus

Stu

Interesting arrangement for the floor edge wing. Compare with the Williams and you can see that they are using it for a completely different purpose; if they get a large amount of flow over it from the floor (which they should do as they are feeding their undercut from the flow over the keel) it looks as though it will behave like a skirt - down washing over the floor edge.
I would love to see this done in CFD at various road speeds!!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

f1rules
f1rules

one area i always felt mclaren lacked a bit is cooling? look merc compared to

djos

The T-tray detail (keel design) on the MCL36 looks amazing! Very different to the other cars.

"In downforce we trust"

_cerber1

_cerber1

haza
haza

It’s incredible how low to the ground this car is it has no rake what so ever they’re really trying to seal that floor

_cerber1

mclaren111

_cerber1