McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Marc.W

Re: McLaren MCL36

I disagree, but I don't have the tools available to make more accurate comparisons

Thunder

Oh i love Reflexions. :D

On Topic: Looking at the Picture Vanja posted i see nothing that would lead me to believe there is anything asymmetrical going on here.

@Marc.W: You dont have to agree, but if you want to continue your argument you should come up with more than the "Evidence" you have shown yet. ;)
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Seerix
Seerix

It's def a reflection of the white line on the ground.

Lap count looking good so far, let's keep going.

stefan_
stefan_

I think we had this discussion about "asymmetric" bodywork on a car during testing a lot of times on the forum.

You do realize that testing asymmetric bodywork parts on a Formula 1 car (especially underfloor/diffuser) has absolutely no value as the aero loads and flow changes constantly around a lap and you simply don't have a direct comparison between the two by just bolting on different halves of a diffuser, even if you would drive in a straight line. Maybe you will get some data, but it would be worthless - you can't just say "ok, left part of the car worked better, let's do it this way. It has more logic and value to do a-b testing rather than ab-ba if you just think about it.

A Formula 1 car's aerodynamic philosophy is designed to work as a whole, from the front to the back. You cannot "split" the diffuser in two and expect relevant results - you'll just get a lot of angry air coming out of the back of the car.
Last edited by stefan_ on 24 Feb 2022, 11:47, edited 2 times in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Marc.W

Thunder wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 11:44
Oh i love Reflexions. :D

On Topic: Looking at the Picture Vanja posted i see nothing that would lead me to believe there is anything asymmetrical going on here.

@Marc.W: You dont have to agree, but if you want to continue your argument you should come up with more than the "Evidence" you have shown yet. ;)
I agree, which is why I didn't continue the argument #-o

jjn9128

Appart from front wing flap angle and some cooling stuff f1 cars have to be symmetrical about their centrelines
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Marc.W

jjn9128 wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 11:48
Appart from front wing flap angle and some cooling stuff f1 cars have to be symmetrical about their centrelines
I don't think anyone was suggesting this was a part to be used full time, just for evaluation purposes

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Seems harder to do a one off part that is asymmetrical than two parts that are symmetrical but different.

Sounds like an interesting idea but as others have said, not sure you can really compare two sides that way.

Motörhead
Motörhead

Marc.W wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 11:52
jjn9128 wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 11:48
I don't think anyone was suggesting this was a part to be used full time, just for evaluation purposes
I think, to me anyway, especially now with a budget cap, that if you would want to test two approaches to the floor design, you would do that in the wind tunnel and at the very least CFD.
If you wanted to test it full scale, then you would make one of both and not an asymmetric floor. One reason would be, the results would be very hard to quantify with an asymmetric component and the other reason would be that they would at least have one useful floor after the test, compared to a floor that would go straight into the scrap bin.

f1rules
f1rules

im sorry have to post this, how does this man get paid, are you --- kiding me, he speaks but says nothing?
"First impression of the cars is they all look like they are doing what they are designed to do."

Gary Anderson from trackside:
First impression of the cars is they all look like they are doing what they are designed to do.
Into Turn 3 it's interesting to see that the side of the sidepod can be as low as it is without picking up damage.
When you have underfloor downforce the sides are set at the height needed to make that work so any damage would be very detrimental.
But that’s also why drivers will need to contain their enthusiasm and not run kerbs or off track as that’s when damage will easily occur.

Marc.W

Good old Gary Anderson, says a lot about nothing :lol:

_cerber1

_cerber1

f1rules
f1rules

not making conclusions! but mclaren maybe again lacking in final sector, before setting the fastets time, will be interesting to see final sector on that run, ok better last sector, and overall better everywhere

Marc.W

Obviously we can't account for speeds/loads here but McLaren seems notably softer or "less flat" on the rear at T9