Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
BassVirolla

Re: Red Bull RB18

Tim.Wright wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 16:48
AeroDynamic wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 19:22
He's claiming it's a pro-dive but I'm pretty sure that's not the case. My estimations put it at around 30% anti-dive.
I'm not expert in kinematics nor suspension, but I also see it rather pro-dive...

Possibly to increase front downforce under braking and circumvent the minimum height rule.

Edit:

To me, it looks like point C is going to be over point A, not under A.

lio007

All teams bar one have problems with the minimum weight. Rumour has it the RB18 is the most affected.
Marko told that yesterday has been a meeting to discuss another increase of minimum weight, although he doesn't expect a consensus to be found. He also said that Red Bull is going to bring a weight-upgrade (i.e. downgrade :) ) in Bahrain.
https://www.motorsport-magazin.com/form ... -anhebung/

PlatinumZealot

Matt explains it well.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Tim.Wright

BassVirolla wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 18:04
Tim.Wright wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 19:22
He's claiming it's a pro-dive but I'm pretty sure that's not the case. My estimations put it at around 30% anti-dive.
I'm not expert in kinematics nor suspension, but I also see it rather pro-dive...

Possibly to increase front downforce under braking and circumvent the minimum height rule.

Edit:

http://performancetrends.com/Definition ... i-Dive.gif

If it was pro-dive, point Ain your diagram would be under the ground.

This is my estimation - looks close to but above the ground.
Not the engineer at Force India

Chuckjr

Tim.Wright wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 18:30
BassVirolla wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 18:04
Tim.Wright wrote:

Edit:

http://performancetrends.com/Definition ... i-Dive.gif

If it was pro-dive, point Ain your diagram would be under the ground.

This is my estimation - looks close to but above the ground.
https://dm2306files.storage.live.com/y4 ... pmode=none
Tim, do you think Newey did this radical geometry more for aero purposes or mechanical purposes?
Watching F1 since 1986.

humble sabot

Are you sure that it's at all feasible that the CG of the entire vehicle is only 250mm off the ground? That's not much above the crankshaft.
With a driver on board? I can only think of two things on the entire car with their mass centroids that low, the battery and the gearbox, and I'm not that sure about the latter. The driver's, and the engine(taken as a package) will both be a touch above that, especially taking into account regulation ground clearance. The tub's extra mass for safety is from chest to head height.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

jjn9128

humble sabot wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 21:23
Are you sure that it's at all feasible that the CG of the entire vehicle is only 250mm off the ground? That's not much above the crankshaft.
With a driver on board? I can only think of two things on the entire car with their mass centroids that low, the battery and the gearbox, and I'm not that sure about the latter. The driver's, and the engine(taken as a package) will both be a touch above that, especially taking into account regulation ground clearance. The tub's extra mass for safety is from chest to head height.
250mm would have been quite conservative 15-20 years ago. Sounds about right for these cars.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Lefty8
Lefty8

If I recall from previous rules cycles the minimum CoG of the car was a rule specified height. Was that scrapped or is it still enforced? I don't recall it being dropped from the regs

humble sabot

jjn9128 wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 22:30

250mm would have been quite conservative 15-20 years ago. Sounds about right for these cars.
20 yrs ago the engines were naturally aspirated, there was no halo, and they were using exotic materials in the upper portions of the engines, and there was no centreline cooling. Also, everybody was running significant ballast. Since the v6 most teams have struggled to hit minimum weight.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

PlatinumZealot

Lefty8 wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 23:50
If I recall from previous rules cycles the minimum CoG of the car was a rule specified height. Was that scrapped or is it still enforced? I don't recall it being dropped from the regs
The engine is the heaviest thing in the car so the CG of the engine is a good starting point. Fuel gearbox and and wheels bring that up higher. 250mm sounds like a good estimate IMO.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

DiogoBrand

lio007 wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 18:22
All teams bar one have problems with the minimum weight. Rumour has it the RB18 is the most affected.
Marko told that yesterday has been a meeting to discuss another increase of minimum weight, although he doesn't expect a consensus to be found. He also said that Red Bull is going to bring a weight-upgrade (i.e. downgrade :) ) in Bahrain.
Could they not just increase the height of the step where the wooden plank and the skid blocks sit?
I know changing the step would possibly not be viable without making a new car, but maybe just increase the thickness of the plank and the blocks for the time being.
Their purpose is to avoid the floor bottoming out and stalling in the first place, so use them for that.

Edit: I meant change the rules to enforce that, not that a team would willingly do that.

jjn9128

DiogoBrand wrote:
27 Feb 2022, 03:33
lio007 wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 18:22
Could they not just increase the height of the step where the wooden plank and the skid blocks sit?
I know changing the step would possibly not be viable without making a new car, but maybe just increase the thickness of the plank and the blocks for the time being.
Their purpose is to avoid the floor bottoming out and stalling in the first place, so use them for that.

Edit: I meant change the rules to enforce that, not that a team would willingly do that.
If the FIA felt strongly enough that the porpoising was a safety issue thickening the plank would probably be their only recourse
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Tim.Wright

Chuckjr wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 20:12

Tim, do you think Newey did this radical geometry more for aero purposes or mechanical purposes?
I have no idea, without looking at what other cars are doing it's pretty hard to draw any decent conclusions.

Tim.Wright

humble sabot wrote:
Are you sure that it's at all feasible that the CG of the entire vehicle is only 250mm off the ground?
Not really. If it's higher, then the calculated anti-dive will be lower than what I stated.
Lefty8 wrote:
The engine CG height was(amd maybe still is) regulated. Full vehicle CG height is free.

henry

Tim.Wright wrote:
27 Feb 2022, 14:19
humble sabot wrote:
Are you sure that it's at all feasible that the CG of the entire vehicle is only 250mm off the ground?
Not really. If it's higher, then the calculated anti-dive will be lower than what I stated.
Lefty8 wrote:
The engine CG height was(amd maybe still is) regulated. Full vehicle CG height is free.
PU CG minimum 200mm above the Z plane. I’ve always assumed 300mm for load transfer calcs particularly for the high rake cars. Perhaps it needs to be a bit less now.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus