2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mantikos
mantikos

Re: Mercedes W13

ryaan2904 wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 09:42
mantikos wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 19:23
kfrantzios wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 19:04

Just a note regarding CFD…
CFD does not “teach” you aerodynamics. It is used to validate and optimise a concept. You need to get the concept right in the first place. Do you think that Adrian Newey or any other top designer need CFD simulations to understand flow?

In a scientific point of view, Vanja made a claim and run a simulation to prove it. While the argument that his simulation is not very accurate, as posted by others, is probably correct, it does not prove that the simulation and his claim is wrong.
And we aren't claiming his experiment to prove a hypothesis is wrong - that's the scientific method and we admire him for doing that.

What the rest of us are saying is that it doesn't represent the Mercedes car and therefore isn't directly applicable (and I believe you are saying that too but don't want to put those words in your mouth). So his claim about the W13 is off, however it is accurate about his model. If you and your buddy think I spit on his work (although I have commended him from day 1) that's y'alls problem, I am not dancing a Westside Story gang dance with you fools.

So basically the guy accepts that his earlier claim about Vanja's analysis being totally invalid was a personal opinion (no facts), and a wrong one at that. Took his statement back basically.

What a bs way to go about it tho. Called a bunch of his friends, threw about bs in other directions, but accepted in the end.
Could've just said you wanted to feel the w13 isnt draggy and you didn't really read Vanja's analysis before.
Haha, English must not be your first language and I didn't call anyone, I don't need to - you might want to go back and re-read my first response to his very first 'I challenge you or you take it back' BS. I have always maintained the same response - commended him for the hard work but called out the inaccuracy those aren't mutually exclusive. In fact I had a post ready with visuals of all the inaccuracies but I decided against furthering the derailment of the thread. If y'all think that is spitting on his work, that's your problem, not mine. You want to rumble in the muck be my guest, you two can have at it.

PlatinumZealot

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Jambier wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 16:09
All those changes in regulation for nothing at the end, if Mercedes get this 9title in a raw
I thought you got what you wanted last year :wink:
I didn't know you wanted it forever.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

shamyakovic
shamyakovic

Jambier wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 16:09
All those changes in regulation for nothing at the end, if Mercedes get this 9title in a raw
Oh i didnt know "All those changes in regulations" was to stop mercedes! And nothing to do with overtaking :roll:

And if mercedes wins again, then its not their fault, its the other team's fault that they didnt innovate and win even with same budget cap!

Now atleast other teams cant complain that mercedes has more money to spend. Hass and merecedes with same amount to spend on their new car.

And who said Mercedes will win? Nobody has shown their hand, including mercedes...my guess is ferrari to be equally fast or even faster

AeroDynamic

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

Pfiu... big relief as for a child after Lewis todays laps. I was afraid by the Ferraris these days. I know it is testing and all of them can go quicker but Lewis backed off very seriously on both C4 and C5. I dont know what to think about this tyre C5 but on the C4 run he could have been very easy be under 1:19 with just a normal and decent S3. He was playing like nobody with backing off in the last sections of the lap like cat and mouse. I dont know if the journalist have some real source in the paddock but they said that despite the fact that Russel was on the C5 for his flying lap the car had a big quantity of fuel: ,,Stando a quanto appreso da Motorsport.com, Russell avrebbe ottenuto il suo miglior tempo con il serbatoio pieno a tre quarti.Dunque non un vero e proprio tentativo di attacco al tempo. Sarà da verificare se anche Hamilton ha fatto il suo tempo nelle medesime condizioni del compagno di squadra." Maybe Mercedes is not the fastest but surely is not the fourth team like Russel suggested yesterday if we take into account Red Bull too.Totto scared me more with his statement in AMuS that Ferrari have the most powerful engine. Maybe Ferrari have the most powerfull engine but Mercedes has to have less drag with that skinny bodywork. Bring on Bahrain :D

PlatinumZealot

So Ferrari is shaping to be our rival this year guys.
No mention of RedBull by Toto nor Binotto!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

JPower
JPower

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Feb 2022, 01:16
So Ferrari is shaping to be our rival this year guys.
No mention of RedBull by Toto nor Binotto!
You've been around long enough to not take anything from benign preseason quotes.

AeroDynamic

Andrew Shovlin

We’re pleased with how the week has gone, we planned a very busy programme for the three days and we managed to get through the high priority items, making good progress with the car and power unit. It has taken a huge effort from the team in Brackley and Brixworth to bring the W13 to the track so it’s very satisfying for everyone to see it cover 1800km without significant issues, and to show good promise from a pace point of view. We’ve learnt a huge amount over the last few days and still have a lot of data to go through ahead of Bahrain. The rate of progression is going to be very high for all teams and whilst we look to be in a good place here, we need to be mindful that our competitors may have a lot of performance to come between now and the first race.

We’ll be working with the drivers on the simulator over the next few days; we’ve still got work to do tuning the balance both for single lap and long run. Bahrain is a very different circuit to a cold Barcelona but hopefully we can make good progress in those areas and build on what has been a promising start to our winter testing programme.

Source

Big Tea

Re: Mercedes W13

OO7 wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 16:22
pursue_one's wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 15:40
Mercedes added yellow on Hamilton's numbers to make it stand out more.
In recent days, the race number was edged in white.

SilverArrow31 over at Autosport mentioned the blue for Russell and yellow for Hamilton is more likely to be a show of support for Ukraine. So that's a good point.
Why not just mount the numbers on a white or yellow background? We would note even need to be able to make out the characters then
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

wogx

Russell versus Hamilton - underhand tactics war

Two days after the end of testing in Barcelona, one thing is still bothering me. What was the purpouse for this series of measurement runs by Lewis at the very end of testing? A few tests on new tires to establish a meaningless, best time? What for?

After all, a few hours earlier the best time of the day (and of the entire test) had George Russell. In the end, he was barely 0.1 seconds slower than Hamilton. Either way, if the team needed to do a speed test for this moment of preparation, it was already done by George. Why send another driver to try to do the same thing in the afternoon? On top of that, in a couple of series of runs - at this stage of testing, when you don't yet need to concentrate on getting the maximum performance out of the car?

I get the impression that these runs were not so much for the team, but rather for Lewis. Maybe he needed to "rust out" and "sharpen up" himself? Maybe he wanted to have an idea about the car's performance in short runs to share his own observations with the team (and not rely only on his teammate's comments), or maybe... He also wanted to check/show his pace in comparison to Russell?

George is behaving in an exemplary manner so far. He is showering Hamilton with superlatives. He stresses at every step that he is not thinking about comparisons with Lewis and internal rivalry. That he thinks only about working for the team. It's a good opening if you want to be an inferior driver, waiting in the hope that in two years time at the latest Hamilton will get bored and then you will take over as team leader.

But I think Russell is less patient, more ambitious, and mega smart. De facto - in terms of cooperation with the team, working out and strengthening his position in the internal operations of the team, and in terms of image (I mean the support of the British media) - Lewis is an equal. Just as in 2007 Fernando Alonso found his equal, or perhaps even better in internal games, when Hamilton made his McLaren debut at his side. History does like to repeat itself 😉

George knows he won't topple Hamilton by force. The team won't risk a violent upheaval, a destabilization of its proven leader, who is an object of worship at Mercedes (literally - that's the way it's set up, and you can see it in the statements of Toto and other high-ranking people of the team). However, Russell can take over the support of the team by organic work. Showing loyalty, humility, openness and... his biggest weapon - pure speed. On the outside, he may give the impression of a placated, obedient ideal successor to Bottas' position of inferior, but on the inside... In my opinion, he has very ambitious goals, and excellent interpersonal and communication skills to pull the support and sympathy of the team to his side step by step.

Hence, back to square one, I get the impression that this series of laps was needed for Lewis because Russell did a great job in the morning session and summed everything up with an excellent - for this stage of preparation - time. Hamilton wanted to do a series of runs just to accentuate his authority, to show speed, to mark the ground. And if that is indeed the case... 0.1 seconds in the afternoon's potentially faster session is not some crushing advantage.

Either way - it's these runs that give a shadow of hope that something will change at Mercedes, too. That Lewis' unquestioned priority, also over Russell, is just a starting point and George, behind the scenes and in the qualifying, will do his job and step by step will strengthen his position enough to allow the team to throw down the gauntlet to the current favorite.

I am counting on George's unquestionable great intelligence. However, one doubt will remain - racecraft. Lewis, although by no means flawless, is an outstanding racer, while Russell still has a lot to prove. Well. Time will tell. As long as they don't put him down like Bottas earlier. As long as, like Valtteri before him, George doesn't put himself under and it will be very interesting even if the domination of the Silver Arrows returns.

by Cezary Gutowski
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

dans79

Seems the haterism started already.

That or the author doesn't understand the concept of testing.
201 105 104 9 9 7

zibby43
zibby43

dans79 wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 01:04
Seems the haterism started already.

That or the author doesn't understand the concept of testing.
That was the biggest bunch of malarkey I've ever read in the context of F1. And that's saying something. :lol:

RZS10

It's some vloggers facebook post ... what do you expect? Lot of blabla out of nothing

PlatinumZealot

Lewis teammate smart! Lewis dumb! Here we go again!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

NathanOlder

PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 14:56
Lewis teammate smart! Lewis dumb! Here we go again!
:lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC