2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
DR30
DR30

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Came to catch up on the 2022 Mercedes-AMG/Petronas F1 Team. Could someone point me in that direction to where that topic has gone.

Cheers

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Toto and a display car were at Harvard today:
https://www.sportskeeda.com/f1/news-mer ... l-students

AeroDynamic

PlatinumZealot

Nice to hear that they are pushing performance as much as possible for the engine!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Nanosapien
Nanosapien

I think its smart not to go too radical. since the FIA and FOM would reverse any development a team had if it gave them significant advantage. so if the car is vanilla but is quick and has a slight advantage over rivals. it would be hard for FIA and FOM to tell the team what to change on the car.

vorticism

wogx wrote:
07 Mar 2022, 17:13
... Personally - I was really surprised, when i saw that article.
Wolff: Mazepin can drive and deserves a place in F1

Mercedes-AMG championship team boss Toto Wolff has decided to stand up for Nikita Mazepin, who lost his seat at the Haas team after just one Formula 1 season.

The Russian was associated with the German manufacturer's team in 2019-2020, participating in a series of private tests behind the wheel of championship machinery. Mazepin even took part in the official test session in Barcelona, where he proved to be the fastest of the bunch.

"I'm torn because Nikita is a guy who deserves to be in Formula 1, he knows how to drive," Wolff said of his former protégé.

The Austrian's statement is surprising because until recently he had a different opinion about the Russian. When, at the end of 2020 - just after Mazepin had been embroiled in a cheating scandal - Mercedes-AMG abruptly refused to test his current car with their Formula E drivers instead, Wolff said that the team wanted to "learn something from the test".

Despite his sudden sympathy for Mazepin, Wolff supports sanctions against Russian athletes: "As you can see, some sports leagues have decided to allow Russian athletes to compete, and some have taken a stronger stance by denying them participation. I think this is difficult for an athlete, but you can understand that it has to do with support for strong sanctions."

The Mercedes-AMG team boss also commented on the war in Ukraine: "I'm Austrian and Vienna is only 400 km from Ukraine. Who would have thought that we would see another war in Europe? Formula 1 and sport are microscopic in this context. We decided not to race in Sochi and I think F1 has taken a strong stance, like many other industries. This is the prevailing theme and it puts into perspective everything that annoys us about the sport and that there are much more important issues."

"We have Ukrainians and Russians on the team. It's certainly not easy for anyone who has families there. These are difficult times. Having parents of Slavic descent, I feel that what is happening is close to my heart."

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
https://swiatwyscigow.pl/f1/f1-wypowied ... ejsce-w-f1
Is it possible the FIA will retaliate against Wolff for these statements? Interesting that he goes there because this puts him at odds with numerous groups close to the team: the FIA and Mercedes-Benz corporate. If anyone to have on your side, though, I suppose Wolff is good company as far as publicity and connections go. Doubt they'd sack a team boss, but he'd likely recant before things went that far.

Mod edit: politics removal.
𓄀

chrisc90

vorticism wrote:
07 Mar 2022, 22:09
wogx wrote:

Mercedes-AMG championship team boss Toto Wolff has decided to stand up for Nikita Mazepin, who lost his seat at the Haas team after just one Formula 1 season.

The Russian was associated with the German manufacturer's team in 2019-2020, participating in a series of private tests behind the wheel of championship machinery. Mazepin even took part in the official test session in Barcelona, where he proved to be the fastest of the bunch.

"I'm torn because Nikita is a guy who deserves to be in Formula 1, he knows how to drive," Wolff said of his former protégé.

The Austrian's statement is surprising because until recently he had a different opinion about the Russian. When, at the end of 2020 - just after Mazepin had been embroiled in a cheating scandal - Mercedes-AMG abruptly refused to test his current car with their Formula E drivers instead, Wolff said that the team wanted to "learn something from the test".

Despite his sudden sympathy for Mazepin, Wolff supports sanctions against Russian athletes: "As you can see, some sports leagues have decided to allow Russian athletes to compete, and some have taken a stronger stance by denying them participation. I think this is difficult for an athlete, but you can understand that it has to do with support for strong sanctions."

The Mercedes-AMG team boss also commented on the war in Ukraine: "I'm Austrian and Vienna is only 400 km from Ukraine. Who would have thought that we would see another war in Europe? Formula 1 and sport are microscopic in this context. We decided not to race in Sochi and I think F1 has taken a strong stance, like many other industries. This is the prevailing theme and it puts into perspective everything that annoys us about the sport and that there are much more important issues."

"We have Ukrainians and Russians on the team. It's certainly not easy for anyone who has families there. These are difficult times. Having parents of Slavic descent, I feel that what is happening is close to my heart."

Is it possible the FIA will retaliate against Wolff for these statements? Interesting that he goes there because this puts him at odds with numerous groups close to the team: the FIA, Mercedes-Benz corporate, and BLM whose adherents are near universally anti-Russia. If anyone to have on your side, though, I suppose Wolff is good company as far as publicity and connections go. Doubt they'd sack a team boss, but he'd likely recant before things went that far.
I dont think theres anything untoward with that statement. I think the FIA are the only ones in sport who have took a neutral stance on the war at present.
PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 Mar 2022, 18:27
Nice to hear that they are pushing performance as much as possible for the engine!
Wonder if it will be any more reliable this year, after needing loads more engines than most of the others.

Big Tea

vorticism wrote:
wogx wrote:

Is it possible the FIA will retaliate against Wolff for these statements? Interesting that he goes there because this puts him at odds with numerous groups close to the team: the FIA, Mercedes-Benz corporate, and BLM whose adherents are near universally anti-Russia. If anyone to have on your side, though, I suppose Wolff is good company as far as publicity and connections go. Doubt they'd sack a team boss, but he'd likely recant before things went that far.
Not siding with him here, but you can have free speech or not.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Jolle
Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
07 Mar 2022, 23:08
vorticism wrote:
wogx wrote:

I'm more of reading this like you have to say something nice at the funeral of your deceased mother in law... Not a defence of anything Russian or Mazepin.

Big Tea

Jolle wrote:
07 Mar 2022, 23:24
Big Tea wrote:
07 Mar 2022, 23:08
vorticism wrote:

I'm more of reading this like you have to say something nice at the funeral of your deceased mother in law... Not a defence of anything Russian or Mazepin.
Sort of. He has not said anything about any country or group but maybe feels he does not want to slag off particular people who he has on well with and (probably) have no personal involvement in the invasion. If I am then wrong I am glad to be corrected about that though
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

pursue_one's

Accoring to Corriere della Sera, The Spec B car(There is almost no sidepod) Mercedes will be bringing to the Bahrain test is predicted to be over a second quicker(at the simulator) than the car they used in the Barcelona test.

https://www.corriere.it/sport/formula-1 ... 0451.shtml

izzy
izzy

pursue_one's wrote:
08 Mar 2022, 10:43
Accoring to Corriere della Sera, The Spec B car(There is almost no sidepod) Mercedes will be bringing to the Bahrain test is predicted to be over a second quicker(at the simulator) than the car they used in the Barcelona test.

https://www.corriere.it/sport/formula-1 ... 0451.shtml
Lol how awesome, "a monster capable of annihilating the hopes of others". And they've cleared it step by step with FIA. Can't wait to see if this is at all true.

But really they had to go wide or narrow didn't they, not in between.

diffuser

chrisc90 wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 22:31
Macklaren wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 22:18
at the very most, it will be "community service" with the FIA like Horner got for criticizing marshals.
Its interesting you mentioned that.... Horner got into trouble for criticising the marshalls about a 'rougue flag that went out' Got into trouble.

But Hamilton is allowed to question the integrity of the FIA, admitting he's lost faith in them, and gets away with it?
https://the-race.com/formula-1/hamilton ... fter-2021/

Certainly be interesting to see what the come up with. What are the sanctions for breaking the sporting code around Prize giving?
He said "Almost lost faith". All Horner had to do was apologise for the rogue Marshal comment.

Wouter

diffuser wrote:
08 Mar 2022, 15:02
chrisc90 wrote:
Macklaren wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 22:18
at the very most, it will be "community service" with the FIA like Horner got for criticizing marshals.
Its interesting you mentioned that.... Horner got into trouble for criticising the marshalls about a 'rougue flag that went out' Got into trouble.

But Hamilton is allowed to question the integrity of the FIA, admitting he's lost faith in them, and gets away with it?

Certainly be interesting to see what the come up with. What are the sanctions for breaking the sporting code around Prize giving?
He said "Almost lost faith". All Horner had to do was apologise for the rogue Marshal comment.
That isn't correct. Horner offered three things, one of them was that he would participate in the 2022 FIA International Stewards Programme last February. Thats why he got no penalty.
But I think this is off-topic and doesnt belong in the Mercedes thread.

The Power of Dreams!

diffuser

Wouter wrote:
08 Mar 2022, 20:18
diffuser wrote:
08 Mar 2022, 15:02
chrisc90 wrote:

That isn't correct. Horner offered three things, one of them was that he would participate in the 2022 FIA International Stewards Programme last February. Thats why he got no penalty.
But I think this is off-topic and doesnt belong in the Mercedes thread.

https://preview.redd.it/wp0zpd0gbz081.j ... 04769d427a
Yeah, I didn't look up the rulling, thanks for that. My point was that Hamilton said "Almost"