Renault R29

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ISLAMATRON

Re: Renault R29

xpensive wrote:Naah, it was simple really, Renault and RBR just reverted to the floors and diffusers previously rejected by CW. :D

Now, if Renault would just ditch that monstrosity of a nose-job...

Actually its mostly about qualifying on close to fumes and possibly going for a 3 stop strategy in the race.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Metar

ISLAMATRON wrote:Actually its mostly about qualifying on close to fumes and possibly going for a 3 stop strategy in the race.
Or do what you consistently claim to be irrational: Using the Options at the start. They're only going to last 10 laps anyway, as other drivers have shown in Practice.

ISLAMATRON

Metar wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:Actually its mostly about qualifying on close to fumes and possibly going for a 3 stop strategy in the race.
Or do what you consistently claim to be irrational: Using the Options at the start. They're only going to last 10 laps anyway, as other drivers have shown in Practice.
Yes they probly will start on them, but that isnt the best strategy IMO, especially if it rains over night... massive graining. We'll see How the Supersoft first cars(Vettle/Webber/alonso) fare against the Prime tire first cars of Brawn.

Another Interesting thing is if RBR can actually make those option tires last 3 to 4 more laps than Alonso... and if Alonso can make his prime tires last 25 laps if he indeed is going for a regular 2 stopper.

xpensive
xpensive

Agreed that Alonso is perhaps a few kilos on the light side, but it doesn't take away what happened today, Renault bolted on a new floor and diffuser this morning and after six practice-laps the man almost places the so far unloved R29 on pole?

Priceless.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

ISLAMATRON

ISLAMATRON wrote:
Metar wrote:
Yes they probly will start on them, but that isnt the best strategy IMO, especially if it rains over night... massive graining. We'll see How the Supersoft first cars(Vettle/Webber/alonso) fare against the Prime tire first cars of Brawn.

Another Interesting thing is if RBR can actually make those option tires last 3 to 4 more laps than Alonso... and if Alonso can make his prime tires last 25 laps if he indeed is going for a regular 2 stopper.
Excuse me but I was going on poor information from the Speedtv which I heard half asleep at 3am... the race is actually 56 laps and not 60 as they claimed. That alone makes the top 3 driver's strategies a bit more feasable. but Alonso being on the dirty side of the grid could be a problem for him.

Tbox
Tbox

That diffuser looks remarkably developed for something slung together since testing. The entire back end looks like it was designed with a view to adding it during the season all along.

Doesn't this kind of show Briatore's outbursts as a pure tantrum? It looks more like they've had it ready to go for a while and he hasn't actually had to spend millions developing it as he's said - it was already there waiting to be bolted on.

DM0407
DM0407

Tbox wrote:That diffuser looks remarkably developed for something slung together since testing. The entire back end looks like it was designed with a view to adding it during the season all along.

Doesn't this kind of show Briatore's outbursts as a pure tantrum? It looks more like they've had it ready to go for a while and he hasn't actually had to spend millions developing it as he's said - it was already there waiting to be bolted on.

Was there every a reason to believe otherwise? If Briatore spilled his milk we would hear about it in a press conference.

I agree that this diffuser was in development for quite a while. Probably since the Toyoyta and Williams started testing. Maybe Renault and other teams thought of the idea, but didn't have the balls to use it. Then when Mosley stated that he thought the interpretation to be "clever", it would be stupid not to develop one.

I think Falv's points would have been valid had they been banned. Obviously Brawn, Toyoata and Williams would all have wasted money on the idea, and although the other teams did not run the diffuser, they have been developing it for months, which would have been for naught had they been declared illegal (talk about wasted development!).

xpensive
xpensive

Renault probably just reverted to the original floor- and diffuser-design of the R29, as rejected by CW last fall.

Since they had the design on-screen already, all they had to do was to have it manufactured, once they needed it.

Simple really.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

ISLAMATRON wrote:Yes they probly will start on them, but that isnt the best strategy IMO, especially if it rains over night... massive graining. We'll see How the Supersoft first cars(Vettle/Webber/alonso) fare against the Prime tire first cars of Brawn.

Disagree...

A similar strategy almost won Kubica the race in Australia... and look how quick that BMW has turned out to really be.

(Of course, it will rely somewhat on external forces - i.e. a safety car, or more likely, Alonso & Vettel keeping the Brawn's bottled up on their prime tyres so they cannot exploit the pace differential they (the brawns) *should* have on them (Alonso))

vall
vall

Any idea way Renault has such a simple FW? Others try to direct the airflow carefully around the front tyres, but Renault's FW looks so primitive?

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Metar wrote:
I'm sure the options tear and grain a lot more than the primes. For that reason it may be best to save them for the end. After 40 laps or so with the full field running, a good amount of rubber should be laid down and should make the softs run a bit better.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

modbaraban
modbaraban

Anyone else surprised how easily R29 nose was clipped off after hitting those (foam plastic?) trackside signs? :shock:

Metar

modbaraban wrote:Anyone else surprised how easily R29 nose was clipped off after hitting those (foam plastic?) trackside signs? :shock:
Not really. It was quite fast, after all, and they're not just foam, after all. Try hitting a stretched piece of thick nylon with your fist, then increase the speed times ten... And remember - where energy is concerned, it's 0.5*m*v^2 - twice the speed, four times the energy.