McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Emag
Emag

Re: McLaren MCL36

SmallSoldier wrote:
06 Mar 2022, 20:43
Great picture of the rear of the car, you can clearly see all suspension elements and how/when the Tunnel ramps up

https://i.imgur.com/JrsRUga.jpg

Vía Butch_on_Racing
A very nice looking suspension. Clearly, McLaren went bold with it, ignoring pretty much most of the "standards" that were set in the previous regulations.

I just hope it's not another butterfly suspension like in 2014.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:
06 Mar 2022, 20:53
SmallSoldier wrote:
06 Mar 2022, 20:43
Great picture of the rear of the car, you can clearly see all suspension elements and how/when the Tunnel ramps up

https://i.imgur.com/JrsRUga.jpg

Vía Butch_on_Racing
A very nice looking suspension. Clearly, McLaren went bold with it, ignoring pretty much most of the "standards" that were set in the previous regulations.

I just hope it's not another butterfly suspension like in 2014.
Looking at it from the angle in the picture, I can understand why the went for push rod… The pull rod could / should have compromised the tunnels and potentially limited set up due to the angle it would have had

Emag
Emag

The only somewhat interesting laptime data we had from this test were the sector 3 times, which can be sort of a measure on the car's mechanical capabilities on the lower speed stuff. Low-speed performance is particularly important this year due to the new tires and higher overall weight.

With that in mind, the best sector 3 times from McLaren were 27.4 for Lando on C4 and 27.5 for Danny Ricc on C3.
Them being so close on different sets hints that they probably never pushed hard on neither tire. But without knowing fuel loads, it's impossible to know the potential.

Now, the reference was a 26.9 set by Lewis on a C4. Set on the last day of testing as part of a series of fast laps that Mercedes were doing at that period.

However Leclerc, Verstappen and Alonso managed a 27.3 on C3. On (as far as I remember) longer stints. Which obviously hints towards great potential on those particular cars. With Leclerc going as low as 27.290 actually.
That's where we can notice a deficit that McLaren has in this area.

Now the relatively slow-ish S3 times that McLaren had can only mean two things.

1) The car is still suffering from low-speed performance
2) They were heavy on fuel for most of the test.

We can only speculate about the second point, because we have no clue what fuel loads teams were on. But if it is the case of the first point, then that would be very unfortunate, because it means that characteristics from past cars have been carried through. This is particularly backed by the fact that McLaren had very competitive S1 and S2 times, which hints towards a strength on high-speed corners, just like it has been these last couple of years.

This season though, more than previously, that low-speed performance deficit (if they have it), would hurt much more. But obviously the team knows that, and when looking at post test interviews of drivers, but particularly Andreas who is a robot on interviews, you notice that they have this huge grin on their faces.

That tells me that they were quite happy with the test. So that would mean that the low-speed deficit is either not very big, or probably not worrying for them at the moment. Which depending on the goals they have, this could be quite significant, but they are happy because they think they are on target anyway.

And the best case scenario of course, the deficit is not there at all and they have run heavy on fuel for most of the test.

Only 2-ish weeks to find out I guess.
Last edited by Emag on 06 Mar 2022, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

djos

I reckon Mclaren had all the sandbags they could fit installed in the car.
"In downforce we trust"

CrazyCarperF1
CrazyCarperF1

Emag wrote:
06 Mar 2022, 23:25
The only somewhat interesting laptime data we had from this test were the sector 3 times, which can be sort of a measure on the car's mechanical capabilities on the lower speed stuff. Low-speed performance is particularly important this year due to the new tires and higher overall weight.

With that in mind, the best sector 3 times from McLaren were 27.4 for Lando on C4 and 27.5 for Danny Ricc on C3.
Them being so close on different sets hints that they probably never pushed hard on neither tire. But without knowing fuel loads, it's impossible to know the potential.

Now, the reference was a 26.9 set by Lewis on a C4. Set on the last day of testing as part of a series of fast laps that Mercedes were doing at that period.

However Leclerc, Verstappen and Alonso managed a 27.3 on C3. On (as far as I remember) longer stints. Which obviously hints towards great potential on those particular cars. With Leclerc going as low as 27.290 actually.
That's where we can notice a deficit that McLaren has in this area.

Now the relatively slow-ish S3 times that McLaren had can only mean two things.

1) The car is still suffering from low-speed performance
2) They were heavy on fuel for most of the test.

We can only speculate about the second point, because we have no clue what fuel loads teams were on. But if it is the case of the first point, then that would be very unfortunate, because it means that characteristics from past cars have been carried through. This is particularly backed by the fact that McLaren had very competitive S1 and S2 times, which hints towards a strength on high-speed corners, just like it has been these last couple of years.

This season though, more than previously, that low-speed performance deficit (if they have it), would hurt much more. But obviously the team knows that, and when looking at post test interviews of drivers, but particularly Andreas who is a robot on interviews, you notice that they have this huge grin on their faces.

That tells me that they were quite happy with the test. So that would mean that the low-speed deficit is either not very big, or probably not worrying for them at the moment. Which depending on the goals they have, this could be quite significant, but they are happy because they think they are on target anyway.

And the best case scenario of course, the deficit is not there at all and they have run heavy on fuel for most of the test.

Only 2-ish weeks to find out I guess.
Mclaren seemed to be running a skinnier rear wing, that would compromise sector 3.

Marc.W

Less paint, possibly for weight saving?

Can't spot anything else new

NiyolHuayra
NiyolHuayra

Updated floor. Sidepods look waaay slimmer to me.

Looks like new sidepod intakes?

Marc.W

Definitely the same as before

MrGapes

too hard to really inspect anything from this angle, nothing really jumping out at me right now besides the livery

Chubbs

NiyolHuayra wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 11:41
https://i.ibb.co/RQzcLSQ/Posnetek-zaslo ... 103907.png

https://i.ibb.co/R78ns6h/Posnetek-zaslo ... 103849.png

Where are these pictures from?
Chubbs

gastonmazzacane

Chubbs wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 11:53
NiyolHuayra wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 11:41
https://i.ibb.co/RQzcLSQ/Posnetek-zaslo ... 103907.png

https://i.ibb.co/R78ns6h/Posnetek-zaslo ... 103849.png

Where are these pictures from?
Todays filming day.

Front wing endplate fin looks different?

gandharva

Emag
Emag

If I recall correctly, James Key said the upgrade package was planned for the race, not for this test. Which would mean new stuff will come next week.

I don't think they will bring anything major on the test itself.

Marc.W

It's a camera, was on the car for Barcelona filming

MrHopsing

Marc.W wrote:
09 Mar 2022, 11:37
Less paint, possibly for weight saving?

Can't spot anything else new
Haha, at first glance i thought it was a really tight undercut with the SIPS poking out.
But nice, can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.