2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dans79

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

It's interesting, that they ran a few laps with the front loopers taped over. Almost to say look we don't need them!

I wonder what Horner will think of that.
201 105 104 9 9 7

koolway
koolway

Just been watching f1tv for the last 30 min.... Let's see if the concept really work out but visually, IMHO, Mercedes just slapped everyone in the face with a car that looks already in 2023 :shock:
Even the Ferrari looks "old" now...

NathanOlder

RZS10 wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 10:22
Wonder if they will paint the pinstripe on the front wheel deflectors red/yellow for the two drivers ... it was red in Barcelona and is the same yellow as the t cam now.
Also the 44 had the yellow around the edges of the number. helps it stand out more.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

AeroDynamic

I wonder if that colour is homage to the BRAWN

dans79

Ross's commentary, seems to suggest the design is legal.
201 105 104 9 9 7

koolway
koolway

Mercedes Tweeter dude(tte) has already dropped the mic... :D :D :D

adrianjordan

RZS10 wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 10:22
Wonder if they will paint the pinstripe on the front wheel deflectors red/yellow for the two drivers ... it was red in Barcelona and is the same yellow as the t cam now.
That would be a great way to tell the drivers apart at a glance.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

OK, seen it from various angles and on track and the W13 is one ugly MF. A part of me almost hopes is does result in a change to the rules around side pods for 2023 because I'm not sure my eyes could tolerate a grid full of those things!!

On the other hand, I hope it's fast and gives George and Lewis a car to compete for victory at every race.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

FrukostScones

this design with the crash structure makes a mockery of safety (think of Anthoine Huberts death).
if Mercedes gets away with this on a technicality (mirror supports) it would be a shame.
it is not only against the spirit of the but against everything the new side pod crash rules were brought in. This mirror support will sheer off much easily than an standard incorporated design,
I think the crash structure around the cockpit should reglements to be connetced vertically in certain dimesion and not like this on the Mercedes an partially other cars.
Dont get me wrong, I think the Merc design looks awesome!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

AeroDynamic

It doesn't need to support a mirror. It has to be there as the side impact structure. They've simply shrouded it into a wing like element and the mirror is on it. that's normal but required one to engineer the packaging and side pods in a way that is detached from the side impact structure.

RZS10

The tiny bit of carbon on the cooling openings on other cars will really not make any difference with regards to safety, i'm also relatively certain that the FIA developed (and crash tested) those structures without any bodywork surrounding them.

rgimblett
rgimblett

AeroDynamic wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 13:36
It doesn't need to support a mirror. It has to be there as the side impact structure. They've simply shrouded it into a wing like element and the mirror is on it. that's normal but required one to engineer the packaging and side pods in a way that is detached from the side impact structure.
I find the W13 quite pleasing to look at, especially compared to RBR's sidepod. BUT I wonder if the side impact protection might undo this.. All well and good having just a wrapped spar projecting horizontally provided the object coming at you is slab sided.. if you have two objects relying on just a spar chances are they won't align in the crash and they're rendered useless.

WaikeCU

FrukostScones wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 13:31
this design with the crash structure makes a mockery of safety (think of Anthoine Huberts death).
if Mercedes gets away with this on a technicality (mirror supports) it would be a shame.
it is not only against the spirit of the but against everything the new side pod crash rules were brought in. This mirror support will sheer off much easily than an standard incorporated design,
I think the crash structure around the cockpit should reglements to be connetced vertically in certain dimesion and not like this on the Mercedes an partially other cars.
I think a lot of people see it as a wing, which in technical regulations wouldn't be allowed. Merc sees it as a surface. Usually that side impact crash structure isn't visible because of being wrapped by the sidepods, but because Merc doesn't even have the amount of sidepods to wrap the structure, it looks bare naked.

A wing is an aerodynamic device, but would a sidepod shape not be aerodynamic in its purpose? I'd say it has.

cliffgamerz
cliffgamerz

FrukostScones wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 13:31
The Crash structure is an standard part designed by RedBull racing and used by all teams. So at structural integrity point its same as all cars on the grid, but does it play inside spirit of the rules, i would just say its an grey area which the Formula 1 2022 designers missed out on when creating the rules, so its fair play on Mercedes side and if any other team or persons from the rival teams whines about it, they should have done a better job at looking and thinking out of the box.

FrukostScones

Yeah, Kudos to Mercedes for making it happen. In 2011 we and I :wink: were speculating this for the Mclaren MP4-27.

viewtopic.php?t=10608&start=45
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.