BrawnGP

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FLC
FLC

Re: BrawnGP

Ross Brawn exposes some weaknesses of the car in China:
We had a bit of a problem with some settings on the car, it’s not quite right in some parts of the track. We have a problem with the suspension topping out and as the grip has improved it’s been getting worse because we haven’t got enough rear suspension travel. It’s a legacy of fitting the Mercedes Benz engine because we had to lift the gearbox up to fit the engine and it’s causing a few problems.

“So when we went out on low fuel with new tyres in the middle part of qualifying, we didn’t get the temperature in the tyres. It wasn’t particularly critical but I think we got a bit confused in where we really were because Red Bull were really quick and we weren’t.

scarbs
scarbs

The rules demand a minimum crank centreline height (of 58mm IIRC). It would appear the Merc engine has one higher than that?

xpensive
xpensive

Something I find interesting in the context, is to what extent the "Honda" gearbox was designed to make the most of the "diffuser"? From the face of it, the higher the CL the better, any ideas scarbs?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

scarbs
scarbs

I dont think the geabrox internals and case are that important to the diffuser, seeing as the diffuser now starts at the axle centre line. The changes for a new diffuser would be more centered around the crash strucutre and wishbone locations, of these woud have an effect on case design, but that would only be a secondary factor.

xpensive
xpensive

Right, so what would make it so difficult, except a shitload of money and frustration, for the grandees to have caught up with Brawn come Barcelona?

scarbs
scarbs

Well new rear suspension and crash struture (and crash test) are one thing, then there's the upstream airflow to consider. Gettign the front wing, endplates, wheel fairings, brake ducts and bargeboards all flowing more air to the floor need a major chnage in philosophy. This takes time and effort, at a time when the team are still only learning the flow strucutres around the 09 spec car.

timbo
timbo

xpensive wrote:Right, so what would make it so difficult, except a shitload of money and frustration, for the grandees to have caught up with Brawn come Barcelona?
Also, if they would have to design new crash structure they would have to carry crash-test.

xpensive
xpensive

And Renault didn't?

timbo
timbo

xpensive wrote:And Renault didn't?
Maybe they managed not to changed it?

MattF1
MattF1

SC start, could ruin the race for the front teams.

xpensive
xpensive

For timbo:
Which again suggests to me, that the true reason for Briatore's anger is that Renault submitted their solution to CW last already last fall, but was rejected?

timbo
timbo

xpensive wrote:For timbo:
Which again suggests to me, that the true reason for Briatore's anger is that Renault submitted their solution to CW last already last fall, but was rejected?
Well may be.
Maybe their solution was only slightly different and was indeed illegal, but CW rejected it in such way that they felt they better stick to the simple one instead of trying to fit it to the rules.

blobslosak
blobslosak

Why do they submit designs to CW, didn't know he was involved in the technical side of things.

PlatinumZealot

scarbs wrote:I dont think the geabrox internals and case are that important to the diffuser, seeing as the diffuser now starts at the axle centre line. The changes for a new diffuser would be more centered around the crash strucutre and wishbone locations, of these woud have an effect on case design, but that would only be a secondary factor.
There are two things that i notice about the Brawn.

The ducts to the top level diffuser extend ahead of the wheels..almost beside the exhaust pipes.

The Brawn Gearbox housing is Chamfered (Bevelled) at the back, so that the V-shape made by the ducts can fit.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

zgred

Front wing servomechanism.