Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: Ferrari F1-75

kalinka wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 13:56
RZS10 wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 13:41
The floor shaking violently with a locked front tyre into T10 (i think) - not sure whether it's just happening on the Ferrari or also on other cars but hasn't been caught by the cameras yet even though there have been many lockups into that corner already.

https://i.imgur.com/9DV4Fzd.gif
[link for full scene]

It looks like it's the 'McL style' floor, i wonder whether it would behave differently without the stay.

Interesting how loose it looks at the connection between the floor and the sidepod ...
I think it is induced by the outside rear tyre going over the kerb. you can see the whole rear wing shaking on the full footage.
Well caught, when the car gets off the curb it stops shaking immediately, it wasn't making any sense because that's a fairly slow corner.

SiLo

The most interesting thing is just how much flex there is in the floor. Must be very hard to get the requisite strength in it.
Felipe Baby!

Andi76
Andi76

Vanja #66 wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 10:33
Report this to the mods, this is not what voting system should be used for.
Thank you very much for the advise. I will do.

matteosc
matteosc

JPBD1990 wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 02:49
matteosc wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 01:39
JPBD1990 wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 23:38
Interestingly enough, Ferrari achieved those speeds with lower rpm compared to Mercedes (article in Italian, I can translate if you need)
Would love the translation if possible?
Translating as best as I can the relevant part only:

The first is the clearly lower top speed for Mercedes. The one shown here is the graph referring to the fast lap, but we observed significant differences (up to more than 10 km/h) in all simulations of race pace. Even thought there is the doubt that this is an attempt to limit the porpoising at high speed while at Brackley they are looking for other solutions, the impression is that Wolff's team is trying not to give any reference about traction and top speed performances of the W13, considering that the extreme aerodynamic solution used should guarantee the greatest improvements at high speeds.

The second stems from the engine's rpm. It can be observed how, despite higher speed, Ferrari's engine rpms are in general lower than Mercedes'. We perform a more general analysis to understand if it is an isolated occurrence and it looks like today Ferrari and Mercedes are at the two extremes in this aspect, with all other teams between Maranello's and Brackley's teams. This may indicate on one hand a significant step forward of Ferrari's engine, that would therefore provide higher torque at low rpm, and on the other and the confirmation that Mercede's PU was used in a completely unusual way today.

I do not necessarily agree on all what is said here. Just translating what is being said in the link...

PlatinumZealot

I wonder why teams don't use thicker floor plates. Even if thinner layers of carbon fibre is used to sandwich foam.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

matteosc
matteosc

PlatinumZealot wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 15:58
I wonder why teams don't use thicker floor plates. Even if thinner layers of carbon fibre is used to sandwich foam.
I would say either to limit weight or to achieve a certain level of flexibility.
Edit: Also you probably do not want a think structure since you are trying to channel as much air as possible.

PlatinumZealot

matteosc wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 16:12
PlatinumZealot wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 15:58
I would say either to limit weight or to achieve a certain level of flexibility.
Edit: Also you probably do not want a think structure since you are trying to channel as much air as possible.
It would only be say 5mm thicker. Alfa does it near the diffuser...

But you might be right, the teams may want it to flex just the right amount.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

vorticism

RZS10 wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 13:41
The floor shaking violently with a locked front tyre into T10 (i think) - not sure whether it's just happening on the Ferrari or also on other cars but hasn't been caught by the cameras yet even though there have been many lockups into that corner already.

https://i.imgur.com/9DV4Fzd.gif
[link for full scene]
How do I upboat more than once? That lower section of the sidepod looks like it would make a great living hinge. The whole sidepod is shaped like a bellows from that angle. Edit: although after clicking that link I see it's vibration from driving over the kerbs.

𓄀

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

I am positive Ferrari are passing high energy air through the side-pods. If someone is watching live testing, focus when they're showing the "Day 1 side-pod comparision" slow-mos. We can easily see the radiators at the edges inside both the sidepods but there's a square section on the inside (driver side) on both pods which looks empty.
That along with the fact that Ferrari only ever use the coolers on the pod edges and not the centres backs it up in my mind.

I'll upload a screenshot if I get one.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

AeroDynamic

Motorsport.com

jumpingfish

How many grams can this wastegate tube weigh? Wouldn't it be better to make it as short as possible for the sake of reducing weight?

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

ryaan2904 wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 10:23
I am positive Ferrari are passing high energy air through the side-pods. If someone is watching live testing, focus when they're showing the "Day 1 side-pod comparision" slow-mos. We can easily see the radiators at the edges inside both the sidepods but there's a square section on the inside (driver side) on both pods which looks empty.
That along with the fact that Ferrari only ever use the coolers on the pod edges and not the centres backs it up in my mind.

I’ve seen what you’re referring to and thought the same thing. In this pic you can see the radiators to the outside edge and a square gap next to the monocoque (click the link to zoom, I only know how to share links not images)

In this one (again if you click and zoom) you can see them cooling the rads with the same square gap towards the centreline. If the airs going in, they must be using it for something?

My question is, wouldn’t it lose a significant amount of velocity inside the body work?

Andi76
Andi76

JPBD1990 wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 10:32
ryaan2904 wrote:

I’ve seen what you’re referring to and thought the same thing. In this pic you can see the radiators to the outside edge and a square gap next to the monocoque (click the link to zoom, I only know how to share links not images)

In this one (again if you click and zoom) you can see them cooling the rads with the same square gap towards the centreline. If the airs going in, they must be using it for something?

My question is, wouldn’t it lose a significant amount of velocity inside the body work?
I remember the 1994 Ferrari. John Barnard called the sidepods he designed "zero-drag"-sidepods and he was inspired by the Spitfire, if my memory does not trick me. As todays inlets are very close to these ones, i assume Ferrari tries something like that. So probably they have found a way to reduce drag and not loosing a significant amount of velocity. This would also make sense in relation to their "low-drag"concept with the "tube-sidepods".

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

JPBD1990 wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 10:32
ryaan2904 wrote:

Perfect man! That first pic is exactly what I was referring to :D

Also, to answer your question, I think if it's some kind of ducting than air shouldn't lose any velocity.
I feel it's mostly for aero, tho could be the new intercooler inlet? Not very sure but Ferrari did say they completely changed the layout, including intercooler layout.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Surely the intercooler still gets blown air in the pits though right? Or am I being dumb?