2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
silver
silver

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

AMuS thinks the wing mirror solution might go away for 2023.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... -fia-2023/
Three options on the table

The FIA ​​quickly made it clear to the snipers that they were not thinking of banning the Mercedes across the board. Should the case be referred to the stewards, the federation's technicians would declare the concept of the W13 legal. Otherwise, the delegates would have to argue why they allowed the Silver Arrow in the first place. The application with the corresponding CAD files was already submitted before the design phase.

In discussions between the FIA ​​and the technical directors, three options were negotiated on how to deal with the issue further.
Option 1: The concept is declared legal in principle. Opponents then have to see if they can replicate it for years to come.
Option 2: The rules are changed to make it easier for the other teams to replicate the Mercedes trick.
Option 3: The concept will be illegal from 2023. At Mercedes, it is expected that most teams will vote for the third variant. Then the world constructors' champion would only have the advantage for one season. If it is one.

AeroDynamic

they'll go for the ban because if it is adding great performance to their unique concept, ti will prove perhaps very costly out of their budgets to undo their own directions and start anew in copying it.

dans79

all 3 options are pathetic. If it's legal, then the other manufactures should have to work just as hard as Merc did to achieve it!
201 105 104 9 9 7

zibby43
zibby43

AR3-GP wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 02:37
zibby43 wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 01:16
The Bahrain spec is virtually identical, mechanically, to the Barcelona spec.

I can’t see them reverting. They have equal testing time with each package. Rumors seem pretty unfounded, to be fair.
While I agree that it sounds like a baseless rumour, the fact that the car is identical mechanically, would allow them to run both sidepod shapes rather trivially on Friday morning. For comparison purposes.

Although, what makes people think the side pod is the origin of the porpoising issue?
As an update, paddock photos have revealed they’re sticking with the Bahrain spec.

AeroDynamic

dans79 wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 16:55
all 3 options are pathetic. If it's legal, then the other manufactures should have to work just as hard as Merc did to achieve it!
or just make their own ones work faster. F1 should reward creativity.

I still don't see why the SIS can't be use as a wing. I get where Binotto is coming from with the winglets on the top surface when citing the FIA's reasonings behind banning their halo-mirror device.

dans79

AeroDynamic wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 17:04
dans79 wrote:

I still don't see why the SIS can't be use as a wing. I get where Binotto is coming from with the winglets on the top surface when citing the FIA's reasonings behind banning their halo-mirror device.
He is deliberately conflating the 2 because he knows the average fan won't understand/know the difference, thus painting merc as a cheating team!
201 105 104 9 9 7

NathanOlder

dans79 wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 17:06
AeroDynamic wrote:
dans79 wrote:

He is deliberately conflating the 2 because he knows the average fan won't understand/know the difference, thus painting merc as a cheating team!

thats not Binotto's style though, if it was Horner, then I'd know exactly whats going on. Unless Binotto is now pushing it as he seems to have a genuine chance to be fighting right at the front.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

shamyakovic
shamyakovic

NathanOlder wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 17:28
dans79 wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 17:06
AeroDynamic wrote:

thats not Binotto's style though, if it was Horner, then I'd know exactly whats going on. Unless Binotto is now pushing it as he seems to have a genuine chance to be fighting right at the front.
I agree

dans79

NathanOlder wrote:
Unless Binotto is now pushing it as he seems to have a genuine chance to be fighting right at the front.
Bingo!
201 105 104 9 9 7

shamyakovic
shamyakovic

dans79 wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 17:29
NathanOlder wrote:
Unless Binotto is now pushing it as he seems to have a genuine chance to be fighting right at the front.
Bingo!
Nah, he is no were as dirty as Horner. He would not stoop to that level. I think his words are lost in translation.

AeroDynamic

Binotto has more class. Anyway this is going off topic..

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding what exactly they are complaining about but is it the downwashing wing which covers the SIS or the way the wing mirrors attach to it?

If it's just the mirror, couldn't they just attach them conventionally to the body like they were last year and still have the downwash wing?

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Marty_Y wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 19:51
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding what exactly they are complaining about but is it the downwashing wing which covers the SIS or the way the wing mirrors attach to it?

If it's just the mirror, couldn't they just attach them conventionally to the body like they were last year and still have the downwash wing?
Im pretty sure its just the multiple 'rear miror stay' winglets. People are confused thinking its the whole sidepod, sis wing concept

PlatinumZealot

Marty_Y wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 19:51

It's just the mirror actually but they are hoping to get Mercedes nervous about the wing too.

The wing complies with the rules. Section of the side pod in that area have no 50mm min-radius limits. The edge of the RedBull scoops for example is a very tight radius.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

pursue_one's

Drivers Lewis and George had to struggle with a more evident jump in the straights compared to the three days of testing in Spain, and also in braking there were numerous and repeated blockages of the front wheels that led to several dechappings of the tires.

In short, on the Sakhir track the star car impressed with its extremely reduced bellies, which made it possible to reduce drag, but it did not show the competitiveness Mercedes could expect, having introduced a package of important innovations.

If we look at last year, the team directed by Toto Wolff found itself struggling with a similar problem, when the W12, with the bottom equipped with the shells in the trailing edge, could not find a good aerodynamic balance that made the car particularly difficult to tune and with surprising sudden behaviors.

The music seems to be repeating itself and, after careful analysis of all the data collected, it would appear that some of the values introduced in the simulation systems and in the wind tunnel may have been wrong, leading the World Constructors' Champion team astray.

And judging by the smiles on the faces of some of the team's representatives, it wouldn't be surprising if at least part of the troubles could be found, giving hope that in the season's opening GP the silver arrow's eccentricities could be very limited, so much so as to make it a formidable adversary for Red Bull and Ferrari.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-me ... e/9069965/