2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

Artur Craft wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 17:49
Stu wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 08:49
Even if the drag has not altered much, if (negative) lift has reduced the L:D will not be as good as previously.
Unless you are specifically try to ‘cheat’ the air (LSR-style) in trying to manipulate it to your own aero benefit (for reducing lap-time), you will create drag.
Have the cars really lost -lift, though? I wonder because Max and Russel were capable of doing 202 kph on T5 during testing while Max was doing 212 kph on his 2021 Bahrain pole. That relatively small gap could be solely due to the 50kg extra weight (mass, actually)

If the pole this year has the same speed as last year´s pole, then this year´s already have more downforce and that is what I would expect, actually. They lost a lot of downforce on the front wing but I imagine that they have gained quite a bit more from the floor

Haas, in particular, probably has more downforce this year than on their undeveloped cars of the past 2 years. It would be nice if Juzh could access Mick´s telemetry from last year´s qualifying and check his speed at T5, then we compare it with the one Mick will have on a couple of days
He was already faster in Pre-Season testing than in Qualy last year… In T4 (can’t pinpoint T5 in the telemetry data) he did 125km/h in 2021 Qualy… He did 126km/h in testing… In T6/7 he did 195km/h in 2021 and 197km/h in 2022

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

carisi2k wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 23:11
holeindalip wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 22:43

Show me in the rules the sips have to be part of the side pod, all they have to be is covered in cf….
Show me in the rules where it says a wing is allowed in this area? Wings, winglets and bargeboards were all banned as part of the new rules. It needs to be banned immediately if the FIA have accidentally left this loophole open.
Wings, winglets and bargeboards weren't banned at all.

The rules say where you can put bodywork and what dimensional limitations apply to that bodywork. These parts of the Mercedes meet those rules. Thus they are legal.

The cars have bargeboards but they're just not called that - the extensions on the front corner of the Red Bull floor (and other cars, of course) are bargeboards in all but name. Better ban those too, eh?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 00:16
carisi2k wrote:
holeindalip wrote:

Show me in the rules the sips have to be part of the side pod, all they have to be is covered in cf….
Show me in the rules where it says a wing is allowed in this area? Wings, winglets and bargeboards were all banned as part of the new rules. It needs to be banned immediately if the FIA have accidentally left this loophole open.

The rules say where you can put bodywork and what dimensional limitations apply to that bodywork. These parts of the Mercedes meet those rules. Thus they are legal.

The cars have bargeboards but they're just not called that - the extensions on the front corner of the Red Bull floor (and other cars, of course) are bargeboards in all but name. Better ban those too, eh?
Well, we didn’t even made it to the first practice session without people already trying to introduce narratives of the FIA helping a particular team… That’s just sad.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

SmallSoldier wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 00:19
Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 00:16
carisi2k wrote:

Well, we didn’t even made it to the first practice session without people already trying to introduce narratives of the FIA helping a particular team… That’s just sad.
Sad, but expected of this forum these days. :cry:

PlatinumZealot

carisi2k wrote:
holeindalip wrote:

Search for "Kyle Engineers" on Youtube. Thank me later. :wink:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

shamyakovic wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 00:20
carisi2k wrote:
holeindalip wrote:

Your need to watch this video
So basically Mercedes are doing with their mirror support what Red Bull used to do with the nose vent - using clever interpretation of the wording to create something that the rules don't appear to allow.

I would make one observation about that video - he says you can make the mirror 70mm high but the rule says the top and bottom faces of the mirror housing must be 80mm apart, so his mirror size is illegal.

cooken
cooken

Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 00:48
shamyakovic wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 00:20
carisi2k wrote:

Your need to watch this video
So basically Mercedes are doing with their mirror support what Red Bull used to do with the nose vent - using clever interpretation of the wording to create something that the rules don't appear to allow.

I would make one observation about that video - he says you can make the mirror 70mm high but the rule says the top and bottom faces of the mirror housing must be 80mm apart, so his mirror size is illegal.
Well said. Clever interpretation like this is F1 in a nutshell, and if you aren't operating in gray areas you're not trying hard enough and will lose.

His mirror isn't illegal on height. The clause states that the housing must lie within parallel faces 80mm apart, not that the housing itself has to be 80mm tall.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

cooken wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 02:42
Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 00:48

Well said. Clever interpretation like this is F1 in a nutshell, and if you aren't operating in gray areas you're not trying hard enough and will lose.

His mirror isn't illegal on height. The clause states that the housing must lie within parallel faces 80mm apart, not that the housing itself has to be 80mm tall.
Ah, misreading by me in that case. My apologies to the chap. :oops:

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

chrisc90 wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 23:00
Im a little confused on the white line too.... Is it going to be any part of the wheel outside the white line (same as if the ball crossed the goal line in football)

Is it going to be the inner most wheels crossing the line? meaning the car can be fully across the line, providing the wheel doesnt cross it.
Pretty sure if one wheel is even slightly on the line the car will be considered to be on track

djos

The original rules said you need to have 2 wheels inside the white lines at all times.

But this started to be ignored for some reason.
"In downforce we trust"

ringo

chrisc90 wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 23:00
Im a little confused on the white line too.... Is it going to be any part of the wheel outside the white line (same as if the ball crossed the goal line in football)

Is it going to be the inner most wheels crossing the line? meaning the car can be fully across the line, providing the wheel doesnt cross it.
its normally the case that at least 1 part of any wheel is on the track.
The grey areas came when fia started counting curbs and rubble strips that were outside the white lines as part of the track.
For Sure!!

ringo

djos wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 06:09
The original rules said you need to have 2 wheels inside the white lines at all times.

Is it 2 or 1? I remember it being 1.
For Sure!!

djos

ringo wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 06:33
djos wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 06:09

Is it 2 or 1? I remember it being 1.
You might be correct - I cant find proof either way atm.
"In downforce we trust"

oT v1
oT v1

What time is FP1 guys? Also, just like Oz 2014, who’s your money on for coming out first? :D

I’m saying Maclaren!
The Power of Dreams

mclaren111

oT v1 wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 08:51
What time is FP1 guys? Also, just like Oz 2014, who’s your money on for coming out first? :D

I’m saying Maclaren!

I like your thinking... Let's hope you're right... :D :D

Lando on the podium very possible... :D :D