Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: Mercedes W13

Teams typically won't run the kiel probes outside of testing. The only things they are likely to keep during a race are a few static pressure taps in the front wing and the floor to monitor the aerodynamic performance during the race (i.e you can evaluate the severity of damage to aero parts by looking at the pressure taps on the floor). It also lets you rule out aero degradation when handling issues occur.

There are some photos out there of the F1 floors and you can see the pressure tapping inside the floor from the b-side.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

AR3-GP wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 02:36
Teams typically won't run the kiel probes outside of testing. The only things they are likely to keep during a race are a few static pressure taps in the front wing and the floor to monitor the aerodynamic performance during the race (i.e you can evaluate the severity of damage to aero parts by looking at the pressure taps on the floor). It also lets you rule out aero degradation when handling issues occur.

There are some photos out there of the F1 floors and you can see the pressure tapping inside the floor from the b-side.
I think Mercedes have run with kiel probes on top of the rear floor during races. Perhaps for the same reason.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zibby43
zibby43

Haven't seen this weekend's floor yet, but the Bahrain testing floor for Mercedes looks really underdeveloped compared to the floors I saw in scrutineering from Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren, and even Alpine.

I think there is the distinct possibility that the restrictions on CFD and wind tunnel time hurt Mercedes in this area.

rickybobbyf1
rickybobbyf1

zibby43 wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 06:21
Haven't seen this weekend's floor yet, but the Bahrain testing floor for Mercedes looks really underdeveloped compared to the floors I saw in scrutineering from Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren, and even Alpine.

I think there is the distinct possibility that the restrictions on CFD and wind tunnel time hurt Mercedes in this area.
Then again it would be a bit odd, since their concept maximizes the surface area of the floor. One would expect them to be on top of it. Fingers crossed

zibby43
zibby43

rickybobbyf1 wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 06:29
zibby43 wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 06:21

Then again it would be a bit odd, since their concept maximizes the surface area of the floor. One would expect them to be on top of it. Fingers crossed
It's very strange. The Barcelona floor was more sophisticated than the Bahrain spec, but it still pales in comparison to the teams I previously mentioned. It's lacking even compared to the Haas, which is one of the most well-developed/mature cars on the grid.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 03:01
AR3-GP wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 02:36

I think Mercedes have run with kiel probes on top of the rear floor during races. Perhaps for the same reason.
From what I recall, Merc typically have done it in Abu Dhabi in order to be able to run the end of season test with the aero sensors. There was something in the regulations about having to run the young driver test with the same specification of car as Abu Dhabi.

Henri
Henri

Hope they unlock the car like they did last year

tsam727
tsam727

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... gezeichen/
Quite a few believe that Mercedes has veiled its true performance during the test drives. A team calculates that Mercedes has a second up its sleeve in terms of engine power alone. This is said to have been determined using the GPS data in comparison with Williams. The racing team from Grove drives with a Mercedes engine and is said to have turned it up to full speed in between. If that's true, George Russell would have driven at Verstappen level in the tests.

AeroDynamic

new floor for Mercedes is happening. Not clear if its a new floor (upgrade) or a modification though.
saying that, the floor they ran at the test looked very simple compared to others. I wonder if it was the real floor?

MtthsMlw

Looks like this will put an end to any upgrade spotting by fans and journalists if the teams have to provide any changes by themselves.

AeroDynamic

so, let's summarise:

Ferrari have no planned upgrades for this first race. They did 'show their hand' fully at the launch and test.
Red Bull showed their hand at Test 1 with their first upcoming upgrade at test 2. No upgrades for race 1.

Mercedes: didn't show their hand in test 1, showed it in test 2, and maybe have some of their hand left in race 1.

called it :)

mafeotul
mafeotul

AeroDynamic wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 12:32
so, let's summarise:

Ferrari have no planned upgrades for this first race. They did 'show their hand' fully at the launch and test.
Red Bull showed their hand at Test 1 with their first upcoming upgrade at test 2. No upgrades for race 1.

Mercedes: didn't show their hand in test 1, showed it in test 2, and maybe have some of their hand left in race 1.

Would be interesting to see if Mercedes runs aero rakes in FP. With so many modifications on their chassis over the last three weeks, I’d be shocked if all was well and dandy. They might as well have the most in terms of PU if they can run it at 110% due to their “cooling” options. Interesting to see.

OO7
OO7

AeroDynamic wrote:
so, let's summarise:

What did you say previously :?:

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

AeroDynamic wrote:
so, let's summarise:

From that tweet you shared it sounds like quite a few items that they are planning to change, maybe these things were already in the pipeline and they have prioritized bringing them now based on what they learned during the 2 test sessions.

Hopefully this will improve the issues that hampered the performance of the W13 in Bahrain.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

AeroDynamic wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 12:12
new floor for Mercedes is happening. Not clear if its a new floor (upgrade) or a modification though.
saying that, the floor they ran at the test looked very simple compared to others. I wonder if it was the real floor?

Does that mean that the other teams didn't put any information in their document to the FIA? Or that they haven't done any upgrades? If the former, then I'm surprised the FIA will let that stand. And if they do, Mercedes and the others won't bother next time either, which makes a mockery of the FIA's plan to have the teams explain what they're doing.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.