2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
vanburin

Re: 2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

Dee wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 15:47
Anything to be said about Merc's engine advantage seemingly not there this year?

Honda and Ferrari looking good right now
Also worth noting that there's a possibility Mercedes porpoising issues are restricting them from testing at top speeds, while they focus on solving (managing?) those issues first.

Dee
Dee

PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 16:08
In the video above Ferrari gentler on its tyres over the lap? Max had the lead, higher top speeds in all straights, but his grip fell away somewhere in sector 2?
Have to remember that Max put in his lap at the start, Ferrari's best times came later when the track was in a better condition

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Fulcrum wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 15:45
Can someone tell me why the sport felt the need to be "road relevant" and incorporate 18 inch tyres?

As it stands, they look odd, have added excess weight to already fat cars, and obscured the driver's already limited visibility.

Staying with the tyres, why have wheel covers / similar devices been excluded from areas of active development? You'd think any potential developments in this area leading to reduced drag might have some road relevance (not an inconsequential thing considering efficiency is paramount for EVs).
I hate the new tyres. They just look silly and bring nothing to the sport. If they'd gone for really short sidewalls, at least there would be the marketing excuse for Pirelli, but as it is, they're more like SUV All Terrain tyre sidewalls.

I hate them. :evil:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Dee
Dee

vanburin wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 16:11
Dee wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 15:47
Anything to be said about Merc's engine advantage seemingly not there this year?

Honda and Ferrari looking good right now
Also worth noting that there's a possibility Mercedes porpoising issues are restricting them from testing at top speeds, while they focus on solving (managing?) those issues first.
Of course, but they are not the only team with a Merc engine
Last edited by Dee on 18 Mar 2022, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.

f1316
f1316

mafeotul wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 15:48
A lot of people have not mentioned this, i believe that if these regulations are to work how they ate designed, pole to win conversion rate will lower, as if the cars are close at the top, driver skill and form will be more efficient than in different seasons. Meaning let’s say, 6 drivers can win the race, instead of two. Also, a thing to watch in race, see if there is a DRS train on the straights in the midfield. If things are the same, then that’s your first red flag.
A similar thought I’ve been having - and not heard folks talk about - is fastest lap. My hope is that the teams are now close enough that the ‘free’ pitstop for new tyres and fastest laps ceases to be a thing and they would lose more points pitting than they’d gain.

Looking at it, I think the X factor is probably Mclaren in that they could probably be close enough such that the pit stop gap doesn’t exist. Maybe there’ll be a gap to the next car but it probably wouldn’t be worth the risk if the top 8 are relatively close. That would be great because we’d actually get to the top drivers having to push on old tyres/low fuel to get this point, which adds both intrigue and the potential for mistakes.

Juzh

PlatinumZealot wrote:
In the video above Ferrari gentler on its tyres over the lap? Max had the lead, higher top speeds in all straights, but his grip fell away somewhere in sector 2?
Top speeds can be misleading because a car can simply turn off battery assist sooner and his end of straight speed will drop. Image from f1tempo website below:
as you can see leclerc is actually faster on all full throttle sections despite having lower top speeds, even very short ones

"usual FP1-FP2-FP3 caveats apply obviously"
Last edited by Juzh on 18 Mar 2022, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.

JPower
JPower

Off topic again:

F1TV is a sh*t show again this. They really need to step up their backend support.

vanburin

Juzh wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 16:13
Top speeds can be misleading because a car can simply turn off battery assist sooner and his end of straight speed will drop. Image from f1tempo website below:
as you can see leclerc is actually faster on all full throttle sections despite having lower top speeds, even very short ones
https://i.imgur.com/gZEHaxE.jpg

Bingo. There is definitely some "lift and coast" going on with LEC, whether that is being done through the battery assist or physically with the pedal. It seems Carlos goes that tad bit deeper into each corner, but LEC must get on the throttle earlier to gain that little but of speed at full throttle.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

JPower wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 16:15
Off topic again:

F1TV is a sh*t show again this. They really need to step up their backend support.
Anyone else’s down?

JPower
JPower

Hoffman900 wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 16:28
JPower wrote:
Off topic again:

Anyone else’s down?
Mine isn't down, but its very slow to respond and won't let me switch between cameras without reloading the page or access the "My Account" section.

dans79

JPower wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 16:34
Hoffman900 wrote:
JPower wrote:
Off topic again:

Anyone else’s down?
Mine isn't down, but its very slow to respond and won't let me switch between cameras without reloading the page or access the "My Account" section.
Mine was working fine during fp1 on my tablet. Are using a tablet, phone, or desktop?
201 105 104 9 9 7

JPower
JPower

dans79 wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 16:37
JPower wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 16:34
Hoffman900 wrote:

Anyone else’s down?
Mine was working fine during fp1 on my tablet. Are using a tablet, phone, or desktop?
Desktop.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Juzh wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

This is suggestive of a higher engine mode for Ferrari. Verstappen is faster basically through every corner. I think Ferrari are a tad behind the rb right now. Sadly for me

JPower
JPower

JPBD1990 wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 16:42
Juzh wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

This is suggestive of a higher engine mode for Ferrari. Verstappen is faster basically through every corner. I think Ferrari are a tad behind the rb right now. Sadly for me
Or the Ferrari just the quicker accelerating car.

Let's see what FP2 brings. I expect the RB to be ahead as well but there might be differences in how these cars generate a lap time.

Mr.S
Mr.S

Porpoising: A closed issue. Mclaren solved it early, Ferrari copied parts of that solution & Binotto even said it will be a joke & people will laugh that how even had this problem. RB doesn't have it much & Alpine says they have the On/Off Button or a way to stop it. It is mostly a closed chapter except Mercedes & maybe a couple of others to a lesser extent. But among Top 5 Teams, only Mercedes to that extent & they have to figure it out on their own, maybe sacrifice some downforce rather than asking for Active Suspension & what not.

Time vs Last Year: Max's pole lap was around 1:29:9 odd so basically around 1:30. Gasly's time was only 4s odd slower in a track much hotter/slower & obviously less rubbered. This track will get quicker, cooler with more running. I think Gasly can do a 1:20-1:20.5 odd, he will get 1.5-2s quicker @ the end of Q3 with track evolution. The cars are as quick in the quick corners & the PU is as almost as quick despite 10% Ethanol. I see Pole Time of around 1:31:5 to 1:31 which will be 1-1.5s slower than last year. So over the course of the year with development kicking in team will recover a significant portion of that time. By next year the cars will be almost as quicker as 2021 which had some lap records. So I don't think the cars are slower, apart from the increased weight which causes problem in the slower corners. Even the new PU Rules, Bigger Tyres haven't really made that big of a difference.

Pole Contenders: Ferrari & RB look like Pole Contenders. I don't know where the rest stand. I think Alfa Romeo & Williams will miss Q2 & they will be around 3s odd slower. I don't see the gap being more than 3.5-4s despite huge difference in approach by teams in sidepods, Nose/Front Wing, Suspension.

Mid-Field: Alpine seemed like the leader here post Bahrain but not after FP1. Alpha Tauri look good. I have loved their approach to the sidepods & the car & they got un-necessary hate from Mercedes fanboys for being a RB sister-team. They look decent, maybe around 1s off the leaders which isn't bad given such radical rules. Aston haven't looked good in the test & I have no idea about Mclaren or Mercedes both of whom look very wild. Mercedes' car may have pace but I am not sure if they can fight for pole tomorrow. The mid-field should be tight with Mercedes, Mclaren, Alpine, Ashton Martin, Alpha Tauri & maybe Haas (althought Haas' time was mostly down due to low fuel + night rubbered cool track).

Overall: I don't think the new rules slowed the car as much as FIA thought. The cars seem to be able to follow much better. Tomorrow I think most teams will prioritize a set-up for the race rather than qualifying. It should be easier to follow & over-take & there is DRS available with these huge wings. FP2 Timing, Weather, Track will be much more representative & teams will try high fuel race runs & we can compare again although some teams will try a qualy simulation @ the end of FP2 with representative track & temperature.