Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Jozsusz
Jozsusz

Re: Mercedes W13

Jozsusz wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 18:07
Well, to be honest it's not that bad.
Hamilton couldn't do 2 laps on new tires, I guess there was 1-2 tenths in the lap, 6 tenths deficit isn't that bad if this car is a pure compromise now.
Lewis also was 2 tenths slower in Q3 than in Q2.
So we can say Merc's deficit is more or less 5 tenths.

zubster
zubster

Yeah considering the compromised setup, this isn't too bad. Once they unlock the pace (which isn't guaranteed), I assume they will be right up there

BSchelbergen

Jozsusz wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 18:58
Jozsusz wrote:
Hamilton couldn't do 2 laps on new tires, I guess there was 1-2 tenths in the lap, 6 tenths deficit isn't that bad if this car is a pure compromise now.
I added up the best sectors from the top 10 (taken from shamyakovic screenshot), I know it's not totally representative (don't know how the prep lap for tires was or them falling of during another sector) but lewis' time is ''only'' 0,363 of charles' best combined effort. Should be overcomable if the car is handling properly and if they can tap into the promised locked potential.

Jozsusz
Jozsusz

BSchelbergen wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 19:13
Jozsusz wrote:
Jozsusz wrote:
I added up the best sectors from the top 10 (taken from shamyakovic screenshot), I know it's not totally representative (don't know how the prep lap for tires was or them falling of during another sector) but lewis' time is ''only'' 0,363 of charles' best combined effort. Should be overcomable if the car is handling properly and if they can tap into the promised locked potential.
Yeah, 4-5 tenths is absolutely managable given the compromises.
I think this car should be a good one once they sort out the problems.
Question if they can do it quickly...

Jozsusz
Jozsusz

BSchelbergen wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 19:13
Jozsusz wrote:
Jozsusz wrote:
Yeah, 4-5 tenths is absolutely managable given the compromises.
I think this car should be a good one once they sort out the problems.
Question if they can do it quickly...

Sofa King
Sofa King

‪Mercedes is only .08 seconds further back from pole on their best lap than they were last year‬

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Interesting that Toto said the car is very draggy in the sky interview after qualifying.

zibby43
zibby43

As they’re trying to fix the porpoising (5 weeks hasn’t worked so far), if it takes another 5 weeks, the teams they’re trying to catch will be 5 tenths ahead by then via development.

Such is the learning curve with new regs, which is why a bad start like this is almost disastrous. I’m more inclined to believe this will hurt them for multiple seasons as opposed to a few races.

Hope I’m dead wrong.

shamyakovic
shamyakovic

GrizzleBoy wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 20:27
Interesting that Toto said the car is very draggy in the sky interview after qualifying.
That's because they raised their for due to bouncing. That meant they need more downforce and that was achieved by very high wing levels.. hence he mentioned draggy

silver
silver

shamyakovic wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 20:29
GrizzleBoy wrote:
That's because they raised their for due to bouncing. That meant they need more downforce and that was achieved by very high wing levels.. hence he mentioned draggy
You have got it all mixed up there.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

shamyakovic wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 20:29
GrizzleBoy wrote:
That is interesting since they've had the most drastic wing angles out of everyone since they revealed their car.

Vanja #66

Their mirror wing is big on drag, let's not forget that.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

What would stop them just putting a piece of slim vertical bodywork between the top (or even bottom of the zero pod and upper crash structure in an outwashing shape like the old barge boards of the last regs?

Also, merc engine cars are just doing poorly overall, so maybe its that too.
Last edited by GrizzleBoy on 19 Mar 2022, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.

chrisc90

GrizzleBoy wrote:
19 Mar 2022, 20:40
What would stop them just putting a piece of slim vertical bodywork between the top (or even bottom of the zero pod and upper crash structure in an outwashing shape like the old barge boards of the last regs?
Probably the limitations on the number of axis you can can have on one plane. (i think its axis you call them)

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

zibby43 wrote:
As they’re trying to fix the porpoising (5 weeks hasn’t worked so far), if it takes another 5 weeks, the teams they’re trying to catch will be 5 tenths ahead by then via development.

Such is the learning curve with new regs, which is why a bad start like this is almost disastrous. I’m more inclined to believe this will hurt them for multiple seasons as opposed to a few races.

Hope I’m dead wrong.
Or conversely, solving a fundamental issue like porpoising, which is forcing them to run a quite severely compromised setup, is likely to give then a much bigger boost in performance than any team who have solved it can achieve through 'normal' development.

AM reckon theyre giving away 0.5-0.75 seconds due to running such a compromised setup to avoid porpoising.