2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
izzy
izzy

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

PlatinumZealot wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:02
Awewome job team!

I'm impressed by George. Great job holding on to Lewis. George was actually quicker for a flurry of laps. Granted he was on fresher tyres but still this is what we need to take it to Ferrari and RedBull.
I was thinking this same thing. Generally there were big differences between teammates, but George was right there on race pace, so if the driving carries on making a big difference with these cars it's a good sign.

f1jcw
f1jcw

shamyakovic wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:17
Redragon wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:12
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:07
Quite the damage limitation. Hopefully they can get on top of the issues sooner rather than later and this becomes a 3 manufacturer fight for the titles. Exciting if they do sort it within the next 2-4 races or so. I’m still not convinced on the PU side of things. It’s unusual to see all Merc teams linger at the bottom of speed trips - be it intermediate or end of straight
Toto avoided to answer about engine power or issues when asked by Damon Hill at Sky. Despite was asked about all Mercedes teams. A bit suspicious
Common, we all saw that video. he was not holding back, he answered staright that we have huge drag in our car and we want to remove it first before we can think about engine power. Thats as much a straight answer one could give
As they two seperate companies, not sure why they wouldn't be worked on at the same time

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

izzy wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:39
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Awewome job team!

I'm impressed by George. Great job holding on to Lewis. George was actually quicker for a flurry of laps. Granted he was on fresher tyres but still this is what we need to take it to Ferrari and RedBull.
I was thinking this same thing. Generally there were big differences between teammates, but George was right there on race pace, so if the driving carries on making a big difference with these cars it's a good sign.
Lewis was dropped george quite a bit in the first stint and after the SC when he was in full push mode. Whether george wanted to keep up or not i dont know, but he didnt in those phases.

izzy
izzy

Mchamilton wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:42
izzy wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Awewome job team!

Lewis was dropped george quite a bit in the first stint and after the SC when he was in full push mode. Whether george wanted to keep up or not i dont know, but he didnt in those phases.
It wasn't all the time fair enough, but a large chunk of the time, when with Valtteri Lewis would have been gapping him all race. And George's first race after all and he ran longer. So I think it was quite promising.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

izzy wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:52
Mchamilton wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:42
izzy wrote:

It wasn't all the time fair enough, but a large chunk of the time, when with Valtteri Lewis would have been gapping him all race. And George's first race after all and he ran longer. So I think it was quite promising.
Yeah its promising, and what i hoped for from george. I dont see why he couldnt be on Lewis' pace

algebraist
algebraist

AMUS has a good one on the various engine issues going on. Seems E10 can eat the resin that surrounds the pump electronics. https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... s/i1ff19q/

HAM detailing the trifecta of car struggles they’re currently tackling in his pen interview.

Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Big Tea

I wonder if George and Lewis were 'prepped' by the team about the need to gather points over showmanship?
They did not get in eachothers way at all today, and when Ham was chasing Rus did not seem to be trying to harass him. Not that he was in a real position to attack, but he did not put the frighteners on either. It could of course just be that the opportunity never arose.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

izzy
izzy

Big Tea wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 20:19
I wonder if George and Lewis were 'prepped' by the team about the need to gather points over showmanship?
They did not get in eachothers way at all today, and when Ham was chasing Rus did not seem to be trying to harass him. Not that he was in a real position to attack, but he did not put the frighteners on either. It could of course just be that the opportunity never arose.
For me it's their natural characters. more than a team order kind of thing. The way Lewis chose the yellow camera mount says so much about his attitude. I bet George just knows that if and when he can qualify ahead of Lewis he'll get his chance, fairly, he won't have Lewis divebombing him, so they can each maximise their race for now.

mstar
mstar

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Awewome job team!

Lewis was tyre managing, you could see on-boards he was taking it really easy on the rears. George was on fresher tyres and was just going for it. TBH its hard to reach into the pace of the cars as both where struggling with the tyre deg.

ringo

I think with these cars we will not get teammates dropping the slower one as much as we did last year.
The air of the following car is cleaner, the car seems easier to drive technically, though more physical and tyre management seems less sensitive.
So i expect that no driver is going to drop his teammate dramatically.
Same was observed with leclerc and sainze. Despite sainz not getting to grips with the car.
Perez was not dropped aa badly as he used to as well.
For Sure!!

adrianjordan

Big Tea wrote:
I don't think they needed "prepping", that is common sense really isn't it. They both know the car isn't there yet, so maximise the team results until it is.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Big Tea

adrianjordan wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 21:36
Big Tea wrote:
I don't think they needed "prepping", that is common sense really isn't it. They both know the car isn't there yet, so maximise the team results until it is.
It is common sense, but we often see 'old dog v new pup with a point to prove' if not hit each other than hold each other up as they are afraid to let the other car sneak by. I hope it keeps up this way.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Jolle
Jolle

By the way, all that fluorescent yellow on Hamilton’s car; big Rossi vibes!

Jozsusz
Jozsusz

214270 wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 20:14
HAM detailing the trifecta of car struggles they’re currently tackling in his pen interview.

Well considering these problems they aren't even that far.