Red Bull RB5

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Red Bull RB5

This what you get when you ask a Lawyer to do an Engineer's job, we will have another 1979-80 with cornering-speeds off the clock.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

xpensive wrote:This what you get when you ask a Lawyer to do an Engineer's job, we will have another 1979-80 with cornering-speeds off the clock.
Yup.

Charlie Whiting is supposed to be an engineer. Why do the FIA not rework the rules to allow him to do the interpreting then pass that on to the race stewards.

Put simply. If there is one man who decides what is legal and illegal, based on how HE reads the rules, and that is how the rules are enforced...

...and the teams can ask him at any point whether A, B or C is legal or illegal - then the whole problem goes away.

Richard
Richard

[quote="ISLAMATRON]Button had a 21 sec lead on Vettle when the SC came out... [/quote]

Yup, that's what did it for Button.

xpensive
xpensive

Kilcoo: Problem is that CW is NOT an engineer, just a still very loyal former spanner-man from MrE's old Brabham-team.

Nothing wrong with such an experience, but perhaps not exactly the desireable CV for the job-description you suggest?

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

xpensive wrote:Kilcoo: Problem is that CW is NOT an engineer, just a still very loyal former spanner-man from MrE's old Brabham-team.

Nothing wrong with such an experience, but perhaps not exactly the desireable CV for the job-description you suggest?
Hmmm...

I'm loath to say someone that has been educated through life rather than in university cannot do what the person that spent four years in uni can do. Doesn't mean he is fit for the job - its just I wouldn't use his lack of degree as evidence he isn't.

How much of the stuff you learned on your degree do you think you use on a regular basis?

1%? 2%?

xpensive
xpensive

It all depends what specific part of my degree you refer to, kilcoo. If you ask me how much Algebra I exercise or how many times I use Green's, Rayleigh-Ritz or Navier-Stokes in a day, it's not to the extent I'm breaking a sweat anyway.

But if we are talking about applying what I learned as a scientific approach to analyze a problem and it's possible solutions and ramifications? I say it's every bleeding minute of the day, no less.

Unless I spend the day rambling on F1Technical of course.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

xpensive wrote:Unless I spend the day rambling on F1Technical of course.
:lol: :lol:

shhhhhhh - this is keeping me abreast of developments in other areas of engineering, and keeping my fluids mindset ticking over.

(well, thats the line I'm gonna use if found on here by the bosses!)

Metar

How about this: One recently-retired engineer, one recently-retired driver, and one ex-management guy - each an expert in his own field - to head the "race management" bit? The driver will have the knowledge regarding driveable conditions, the engineer will be able to understand the technical regs, and the management guy can deal with legalities?

As for the RB5's integration of a double diffuser... How much of an effort would it be to repackage the rear as a pushrod again? From what I gather, it's not too different, as a system. Of course, it would mess up the whole point of the RB5's rear aerodynamics - but they're already going to go down the drain when a DDD is installed...

xpensive
xpensive

Still off topic, kilcoo, but surely you have heard the anology where the optimist beholds a half-full glass, the pessimist a half-empty one, while the seasoned engineer, without even thinking, goes; "That glass has over-capacity!"

PlatinumZealot

Metar wrote:How about this: One recently-retired engineer, one recently-retired driver, and one ex-management guy - each an expert in his own field - to head the "race management" bit? The driver will have the knowledge regarding driveable conditions, the engineer will be able to understand the technical regs, and the management guy can deal with legalities?

As for the RB5's integration of a double diffuser... How much of an effort would it be to repackage the rear as a pushrod again? From what I gather, it's not too different, as a system. Of course, it would mess up the whole point of the RB5's rear aerodynamics - but they're already going to go down the drain when a DDD is installed...
The double decker can fit. They just have to move the inlet holes more to the outside and have them entering the upper deck of the diffuser at a steeper angle. Brawn GP put bevels on the back of their gearbox housing to accommodate it so Redbull will have to add that to the list.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

ISLAMATRON

Everything about this car screams low CG.

V shaped tub allows for the front wishbones to be mounted lower... look how low the upper wishbones are on the tub. Brake calipers in the extreme 6 o'clock position, and of course the aforementioned rear pull rod suspension.

Even one of the brake fluid reservoirs is placed lower!

djos

Agreed and to top it off it is a work of automotive art! 8)
"In downforce we trust"

Henning
Henning

Interesting point about the low mounted brake calipers. I wonder if this any more/less efficient at being cooled than the "standard" location used by other teams. Maybe it can all be overcome with ducting and wheel covers. If so why don't other teams use the same location?

ISLAMATRON

Henning wrote:Interesting point about the low mounted brake calipers. I wonder if this any more/less efficient at being cooled than the "standard" location used by other teams. Maybe it can all be overcome with ducting and wheel covers. If so why don't other teams use the same location?
To take full advantage of the load transfer effect when braking you would ideally want them placed at the 9 o'clock position, plus that would make it easier to bleed them but I'm sure they all use pressure bleeding systems.

timbo
timbo

Is it new or it was at China GP too?