2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Chester117
Chester117

Re: Ferrari F1-75

Juzh wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 00:24
codetower wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 21:12
yallkok wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 15:28
I've foud this interesting post about the Ver/Lec battle:
https://www.fuoritraiettoria.com/4-ruot ... rein-2022/
Very interesting. Without translating the entire article, my summary from that article: Ferrari/Charles were having issues with the battery recharging, having to set it to different charging modes (SOC8-10... charging under braking, recovery etc) to get it up above 25%. The article also says they temporarily might have used K1 mode for more power during the battle, but it says they never needed K1plus nor K2.

If this is the case, seems they have more power to spare, but didn't use it yet.
They don't really have issues, not in normal circumstances anyway. They had issues during this race because they used it all up trying to fend off Verstappen. On a track such as Bahrain you can use up all your energy in a single lap if you're not doing constant management, so if you're going almost full tilt for 2 laps in a row you'll have nothing left. That's the same for everyone.

edit. One more thing. The article has gotten it wrong regarding k2, k1 and k1 plus. It is actually K1 plus that is the most powerful and K2 being least powerful in terms of overtaking modes. k1 plus wasn't available because SOC was too low at that point.
This is super interesting re the different modes. Do you mind explain further the difference betweetn these modes? So as I understand, K1+ > K1 > K2 is that right? Where can I find more regarding these info? Thank you!

jumpingfish

Re: Ferrari F1-75

Chester117 wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 08:27
Juzh wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 00:24
codetower wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 21:12

Very interesting. Without translating the entire article, my summary from that article: Ferrari/Charles were having issues with the battery recharging, having to set it to different charging modes (SOC8-10... charging under braking, recovery etc) to get it up above 25%. The article also says they temporarily might have used K1 mode for more power during the battle, but it says they never needed K1plus nor K2.

If this is the case, seems they have more power to spare, but didn't use it yet.
They don't really have issues, not in normal circumstances anyway. They had issues during this race because they used it all up trying to fend off Verstappen. On a track such as Bahrain you can use up all your energy in a single lap if you're not doing constant management, so if you're going almost full tilt for 2 laps in a row you'll have nothing left. That's the same for everyone.

edit. One more thing. The article has gotten it wrong regarding k2, k1 and k1 plus. It is actually K1 plus that is the most powerful and K2 being least powerful in terms of overtaking modes. k1 plus wasn't available because SOC was too low at that point.
This is super interesting re the different modes. Do you mind explain further the difference betweetn these modes? So as I understand, K1+ > K1 > K2 is that right? Where can I find more regarding these info? Thank you!
Big article (2019), need google translate
https://www.funoanalisitecnica.com/2019 ... ri-os.html
K2, K1 and K1 Plus

So let's complete this article by talking about the boost modes, which on Ferrari steering wheels are managed quickly through dedicated buttons and not by the mode lever. These are the K2, the K1 and the K1Plus.

An important premise also in this case is that these modalities are difficult to understand. In principle, following a successful television definition given years ago, one could say that these modes are the “magic buttons” of Ferrari. However, being modalities, they integrate various parameters that we neither hear nor see. So I try to briefly explain what I personally mean by these acronyms. K2 is a mode that is used in the first lap (often not in its entirety but even just a sector or two) and which is represented by an LED on the Ferrari driver's wheel. This mode allows in this first lap to exploit as much as possible the hybrid in the first phase (or in the restarts or after a pit stop) naturally going to the detriment of the accumulation of energy.

This mode has its "luck" in the starting or restarting phases (both after SC and VSC and pit stop) precisely because the hybrid is recharged to the maximum in those phases (during the start thanks to the formation lap; during the restart after VSC or SC thanks to slow laps; after a pit stop thanks to the pit limiter).
K2 mode is joined by K1 and K1Plus (K1 Plus was talked about for the first time on October 19, 2018 during the free practice sessions of the United States Grand Prix). The K1 and K1 Plus are respectively the overtake button and an even more extreme version of it born at the end of last season and developed during this first part of the season.

These two modes are of course only available with charged batteries and can therefore only be used for two or three consecutive laps. They are activated normally on the straights (in one, two or at most three points of the track) and express their maximum potential when DRS is open. Of course, being modes, they will have to be combined with different Engine and SoC mappings but in principle the K1 or K1 Plus is rarely used when the engine is not on Engine 1 and the SoC is not on low values ​​(SoC from 1 to 5) which they therefore guarantee greater efficiency of the electric. Both modes can be used to attack or to attempt defense on a DRS attack and are recognizable by several flashing and non-flashing LEDs appearing on the driver's wheel.

Andres125sx

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Spoutnik wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 09:33
wogx wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 23:33
Carlos Sainz had mixed feelings despite tying his career-best finish with second in the Bahrain Grand Prix, describing the weekend as his “most difficult” in Ferrari colours.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... oxteg.html
I think like last season Sainz need to adapt a bit to the car and understand it. Then he'll probably deliver. Charles obviously got more raw speed, furthemore he always had a terrific pace at Sakhir.

Otherwise, it's a very important season for Sainz to prove himself as a top tier driver and not a "1,5".
He proved himself, and anyone watching, past season tough :wink:

1 Max Verstappen NED RED BULL RACING HONDA 395.5
2 Lewis Hamilton GBR MERCEDES 387.5
3 Valtteri Bottas FIN MERCEDES 226
4 Sergio Perez MEX RED BULL RACING HONDA 190
5 Carlos Sainz ESP FERRARI 164.5
6 Lando Norris GBR MCLAREN MERCEDES 160
7 Charles Leclerc MON FERRARI 159

Or you think Leclerc is not a top driver? Because Carlos beat him despite his lack of experience in the red team/car

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Andres125sx wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 09:08
Spoutnik wrote:
I think like last season Sainz need to adapt a bit to the car and understand it. Then he'll probably deliver. Charles obviously got more raw speed, furthemore he always had a terrific pace at Sakhir.

Otherwise, it's a very important season for Sainz to prove himself as a top tier driver and not a "1,5".

Or you think Leclerc is not a top driver? Because Carlos beat him despite his lack of experience in the red team/car
I am a big fan of Carlos as a driver as well as an human being.
He beat Charles last season on point but it was due to some unlucky moment from Leclerc, even if, to me, Sainz showed way more pace to me at the end of the season, and we shouldn't underestimate this achievment !
I think he just need his first win now in order to not became the 2nd driver at Ferrari.
Furthermore, I was saying that because I read many people rating him as a 1,5 driver : like he's Ricciardo, Leclerc is Verstappen if you prefer.

JPower
JPower

Spoutnik wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 17:33

He beat Charles last season on point but it was due to some unlucky moment from Leclerc, even if, to me, Sainz showed way more pace to me at the end of the season, and we shouldn't underestimate this achievment !
I think he just need his first win now in order to not became the 2nd driver at Ferrari.
Furthermore, I was saying that because I read many people rating him as a 1,5 driver : like he's Ricciardo, Leclerc is Verstappen if you prefer.
I've always compared them to Button and Hamilton. Even in terms of driving style and how they like their cars to be set up.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

JPower wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 17:39
Spoutnik wrote:

I've always compared them to Button and Hamilton. Even in terms of driving style and how they like their cars to be set up.
Yes... and Button himself beat Hamilton in 2011

ferkan
ferkan

Andres125sx wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:

He beat him the same way Rosberg beat Hamilton. Swing in points against Leclerc was massive.

Still, he was really really good and I consider him top driver. He has car now, but will he be able to put a weekend on Charles like Charles did to him in Bahrain? I doubt that, they didnt have single race where Carlos had palpable advantage in race pace, whereas Leclerc had few last season already.

dialtone
dialtone

Interesting article on brakes and Ferrari. https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 3KBL0.html

Basically Ferrari used races last season to test brakes from with a hybrid make between this year and last year.
And indeed it seems like they've been one of the teams with fewest issues with braking.

Andres125sx

Spoutnik wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:

About the bolded part, yes, but Carlos also had a lot of unlucky moments, specially on pit-stops when Ferrari messed up Carlos pit-stops quite often, while Charles always had quick and problem free pit-stops. The amount of points Carlos lost on pit-stops was massive. On first races he lost lots of point too until he got used to the red car, wich is normal specially when you look at some other seasoned drivers who also suffered in first part of the season until they got used to their new car, Alonso and Perez are remarkable examples. But even with the adaptation period to the red car, and all the points lost on pit-stops, he finally scored more points than Lecrerc, and to me that was as surprising as praiseworthy =D>

Agree on the rest tough as I´m not saying Carlos is faster than Charles, I don´t think so. But I was assuming Charles would beat Carlos fair and square, but in the end it was the other way around

IMHO he´s not on Alonso-Hamilton-Verstappen-(Lecrerc) league, but now he´s right behind them on my personal list. Lecrerc might be but he´s not proved enough yet, specially his lack of consistency in race trim makes me wonder if he really is that good.

I still think Lecrerc is faster, but Carlos is more consistent, so I think they´re both right behind the greatest of current grid, trying to prove if they can fight them and joing that club, or not. In other words, until past season I rated Lecrerc higher than Carlos, this season I rate them equally (high) and couldn´t decide who of them is an overall better driver

This season, with a top car to fight for both titles, the battle will be as exciting as fierce. Hopefully Ferrari will let them race...

JPower
JPower

Says he will chip away at the right setup like last year. I'm sure he'll find a rhythm eventually.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Andres125sx wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 20:28
Spoutnik wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

About the bolded part, yes, but Carlos also had a lot of unlucky moments, specially on pit-stops when Ferrari messed up Carlos pit-stops quite often, while Charles always had quick and problem free pit-stops. The amount of points Carlos lost on pit-stops was massive. On first races he lost lots of point too until he got used to the red car, wich is normal specially when you look at some other seasoned drivers who also suffered in first part of the season until they got used to their new car, Alonso and Perez are remarkable examples. But even with the adaptation period to the red car, and all the points lost on pit-stops, he finally scored more points than Lecrerc, and to me that was as surprising as praiseworthy =D>

Agree on the rest tough as I´m not saying Carlos is faster than Charles, I don´t think so. But I was assuming Charles would beat Carlos fair and square, but in the end it was the other way around

IMHO he´s not on Alonso-Hamilton-Verstappen-(Lecrerc) league, but now he´s right behind them on my personal list. Lecrerc might be but he´s not proved enough yet, specially his lack of consistency in race trim makes me wonder if he really is that good.

I still think Lecrerc is faster, but Carlos is more consistent, so I think they´re both right behind the greatest of current grid, trying to prove if they can fight them and joing that club, or not. In other words, until past season I rated Lecrerc higher than Carlos, this season I rate them equally (high) and couldn´t decide who of them is an overall better driver

This season, with a top car to fight for both titles, the battle will be as exciting as fierce. Hopefully Ferrari will let them race...
I agree with you regaeding Carlos' Lucky for pit stop I can remember Silverstone 2021 for exemple.

I think Leclerc got more raw pace thats why sometimes he's able to pull solething out of nowhere like the pôle at Baku or his race pace at Silverstone last year. Carlos is way more composed, consistent and he's really really smart in race, doing strategy adjusment by himself like in Hungary last year..

I really look forward to see how this season develop to know who will be the best between them !

ringo

Charles was not just unlucky. He made poorer decisions on track than Carlos.
That to me gives Carlos more certainty for better results over a season.
But with the fastest car Charles will win over the season. Reason being less things to manage and less competitors racing at the front end of the grid.
I do suspect their relationship to sour this year however. Carlos will draw first blood.
For Sure!!

Andres125sx

Indeed Ringo

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

ringo wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 08:06
Charles was not just unlucky. He made poorer decisions on track than Carlos.
That to me gives Carlos more certainty for better results over a season.
But with the fastest car Charles will win over the season. Reason being less things to manage and less competitors racing at the front end of the grid.
I do suspect their relationship to sour this year however. Carlos will draw first blood.
Why you think Carlos will draw first blood ?
Why Carlos will draw first blood

Vanja #66

Leclerc had a disaster of a season in 2020 with Ferrari. Yet he outscored Seb 2 years in a row. 2020 took its toll and he was evidently spent in 2021, regarding motivation and desire. Just like Seb was in late 19 and entire 20...

Sainz outscoring him last year was therefore not a surprise. If Ferrari manage to get 3-4 good races in a row now at the start, both Leclerc and Sainz will have all the motivation needed. So we will only get to see how well they comapre this year.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie