2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1316
f1316

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

I guess on one hand, this is the time to find the limits - tbh MSC used to do that and had a reasonable number of practice crashes to my recollection. Obviously much worse to do it in quali or the race.

But it does seem a little unnecessary for both to be pushing that hard at that stage, particularly as they seem to have a bit in hand in terms of engine modes. Ferrari got no long runs in as a result, which might not be as dramatic as it sounds but certainly isn’t what they want and especially given the tyre deg in Bahrain was a crucial factor for the race.

Peter Ian Staker
Peter Ian Staker

f1316 wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 21:36
I guess on one hand, this is the time to find the limits - tbh MSC used to do that and had a reasonable number of practice crashes to my recollection. Obviously much worse to do it in quali or the race.
MSC would do that because he had a spare car ready for him at all times. He could write off a chassis and then go on with his practice like nothing happened.
No such luxury allowed for Charles/Carlos unfortunately.

f1316
f1316

Peter Ian Staker wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 21:56
f1316 wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 21:36
MSC would do that because he had a spare car ready for him at all times. He could write off a chassis and then go on with his practice like nothing happened.
No such luxury allowed for Charles/Carlos unfortunately.
Very true

Andres125sx

Shal_Leg16 wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 16:32
i dont get why Sainz fans bring up the 5 points difference again and again but completely forgot other head to head stats.
Maybe because in the end, points is what counts? :roll:

Shal_Leg16 wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 16:42
secondly LEC , had massive bad luck last season. Monaco, hungary, Russia where he was unfortunate to have 0 points ...
Now crashing because of a driver mistake is bad luck? #-o

Shal_Leg16 wrote:
imo sainz is very good driver but certainly a level below LEC. Sainz is in 8th season with some 160+ starts and yet to register a pole or win. LEC is youngest ever pole setter and race winner second only to seb & Max respectively. I dont see any match.
Did you take into account the teams and cars? Obviously not.

First season with same car, Carlos got more points, even if not taking any victory yet. Titles are won with points tough. Stupid motorsporst! :P

You can´t take secondary stats while ignoring the most important. Anycase I´m not trying to prove Carlos is better, only that he´s a tough rival for Charles, wich is something I think nobody believed when he joined Ferrari

Drift4794
Drift4794

rafeyahmad wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 12:18
dialtone wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 09:00
rafeyahmad wrote:Are we still sure that Ferrari has the best PU? It seems like between 200-270km/h, it reigns supreme but after that Honda takes over. Could be a problem in Jeddah...
100% sure. Above 270 kmh only drag matters. In Jeddah they’ll have less wing.
Yeah, hopefully they have the edge over RB after that. I asked because throughout testing and during and after the Bahrain race, I sifted through lots of reports from Duchessa, AMuS, Fredrico Albano -- RB having a very refined aerodynamic package was a constant in all of them.

If the Ferrari indeed is slightly less aero-efficient, as I suspect (premature I know), I hope their more powerful PU can tip the balance in their favor.
The more I watch that RB in Jeddah, the more I'm convinced my initial hunch was correct

S D

rafeyahmad wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 17:15
rafeyahmad wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 12:18
dialtone wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 09:00

100% sure. Above 270 kmh only drag matters. In Jeddah they’ll have less wing.
Yeah, hopefully they have the edge over RB after that. I asked because throughout testing and during and after the Bahrain race, I sifted through lots of reports from Duchessa, AMuS, Fredrico Albano -- RB having a very refined aerodynamic package was a constant in all of them.

If the Ferrari indeed is slightly less aero-efficient, as I suspect (premature I know), I hope their more powerful PU can tip the balance in their favor.
The more I watch that RB in Jeddah, the more I'm convinced my initial hunch was correct
Did it not seem to anyone else that on low fuel to race came to Ferrari? Also Mercedes? I am thinking that MV has steering issues and possibly both RBs had fuel issues that could have caused this.

Correct me if I am wrong on this but MV is close to Ferrari in quali but if the car is set for quali then it may hide this. Then in the race it's set for long runs. If so then it's possible that Ferrari and Mercedes get stronger as the race goes on.

Shal_Leg16
Shal_Leg16

Andres125sx wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 16:53
Shal_Leg16 wrote:
i dont get why Sainz fans bring up the 5 points difference again and again but completely forgot other head to head stats.
Maybe because in the end, points is what counts? :roll:

Shal_Leg16 wrote:
25 Mar 2022, 16:42
secondly LEC , had massive bad luck last season. Monaco, hungary, Russia where he was unfortunate to have 0 points ...
Now crashing because of a driver mistake is bad luck? #-o

Shal_Leg16 wrote:
imo sainz is very good driver but certainly a level below LEC. Sainz is in 8th season with some 160+ starts and yet to register a pole or win. LEC is youngest ever pole setter and race winner second only to seb & Max respectively. I dont see any match.
Did you take into account the teams and cars? Obviously not.

First season with same car, Carlos got more points, even if not taking any victory yet. Titles are won with points tough. Stupid motorsporst! :P

You can´t take secondary stats while ignoring the most important. Anycase I´m not trying to prove Carlos is better, only that he´s a tough rival for Charles, wich is something I think nobody believed when he joined Ferrari
1. Points table - Nobody is saying points dont matter. if anyone is to say Sainz got more points then Leclerc in 2021 or sainz had better season etc, im all ok. but if someone claims Sainz is better driver or compares both on performance then other parameters shouldn't be overlooked ( unless for the obvious reason ).

2. Monaco crash - Again nobody is denying leclerc had a crash , that is not the point of discussion. its about being unlucky. Crash or no crash Leclerc had the pole in bis bag. had his mechanics done the basic job they are hired for and repaired it correctly he wouldn't have had a DNS. The car broke on formation lap ffs.

about the crash ? didnt Sainz crashed his car just hours before Hungarian Gp qualy ? Didnt Max had exact similar type of crash in Abu dhabi last year ? both went on to start the race and both grabbed a podium. thats where leclerc was unlucky.

3. Lastly , was expecting the car comparison for this point but doesn't it only prove my point that Sainz is not a champion material driver thats why it took him so long to get a good car/ Team . Teams like RB, Merc, Ferrari run after young prodigies like Seb, Lewis,Leclerc ,Max coz they know , they see the talent in them. if it takes 8 seasons for a driver to get a top team/Car then we all know what it means.

Lastly i would again say i have nothing against the guy, actually he surpassed everyone's expectations and had a good season but its the " Sainz is better than ...." nonsense that is drawing these reactions.

JPower
JPower

Hopefully its a clean qualifying session this time around.

Should be tight given Red Bull's speed in S2 and S3.

dialtone
dialtone

Re: Ferrari F1-75

Very nice to see Ferrari can put in a lap on the first attempt in Saudi Arabia instead of needing 2 laps to heat them up.

Also Leclerc did a small race sim in FP3 with old softs and these are his times:

LAP 202 SOFT/12 Stint 4: 1:34.442
LAP 203 SOFT/13 Stint 4: 1:34.742
LAP 204 SOFT/14 Stint 4: 1:34.327
LAP 205 SOFT/15 Stint 4: 1:34.655
LAP 206 SOFT/16 Stint 4: 1:35.598
LAP 207 SOFT/10 Stint 5: 1:51.546

Hard to know how it compares with the stint from VER yesterday given the likely lower fuel load, but it's very quick, VER was going around at 1:35.5, PER 1:35.3

JPower
JPower

Not bad. Good to see Sainz getting closer to becoming comfortable with the car.

Checo dominated S2 and S3 in that last run, as expected.

Still, I think Ferrari is well in the hunt tomorrow.

LM10
LM10

That was close! Unfortunately not a Ferrari on pole this time, but nonetheless, it was a great qualifying session. I'm happy for Perez.

Still everything to play for tomorrow and given how good the Ferrari is in the first sector, I think that they should have a slight advantage on race pace. Let's hope for the best!

Shal_Leg16
Shal_Leg16

Ferrari can still get it, in street circuits imo pole doesn't matter much as long as strategy and imp calls are correctly taken . For sure There will be multiple re starts and safty car incidents. the team with clever/correct calls will win.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Interesting strategies at play tomorrow!

wowgr8
wowgr8

I think the race pace will be close enough for the race to be decided purely on strategy, that Red Bull top speed is definitely worth noting though.. Perez especially. Getting past him on track even with a car we assume looks after its tyres better will be very difficult

tpe
tpe

I was really surprised by Sainz comment that he cannot manage the new tyres.
Maybe it would be better to make 2 laps instead of one?