2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ringo

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

The good thing is the points standing is looking very strong for ferrari. They move ahead by 40 points.
Despite losing the race today they have a big cushion to take their time and improve the car.

I think its suffering from a little more drag relative to redbull.
For Sure!!

dialtone
dialtone

ringo wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 01:34
The good thing is the points standing is looking very strong for ferrari. They move ahead by 40 points.
Despite losing the race today they have a big cushion to take their time and improve the car.

I think its suffering from a little more drag relative to redbull.
Yeah, I have the impression the car is just a bit draggier than the RB from the way top speeds have been the past 2 races. Hopefully they can fix porpoising in imola with a new floor and get a bit more downforce out of the floor so they run less wing.

Vanja #66

Good race, brave racing, good strategy, slightly off on high speed still. Albert Park should be more like Bahrain.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

wowgr8
wowgr8

That Red Bull efficiency was really scary. They had 2019 Ferrari speed on the straight but without the drawbacks of poor race pace and corner performance

Ferrari might be forced to react to that and compromise in the future, the higher df config didn't prove advantageous in qualifying and it also crippled Charles in combat

Back in 2019 I remember Mercedes didn't compromise on their downforce choices, how will Ferrari respond? It will be interesting to see

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Mansell89 wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 23:04
Impressive weekend from Ferrari again- a great foundation and I wish them well in the development race against Newey. Two very good cars going at it.

My gut feel is that the smoother Red Bull might edge them as we head to Europe soon but it is so close and what a chance to build on this and fight for the title.
I can’t tell anymore if people (myself included) just expect Ferrari to be worse than the competition based on recent history, or based on something specific. Eg: the ‘smoother’ redbull in this example. Ferrari have been dominant in basically every corner type, and have been losing on the straights to redbull. If anything the next few tracks should favour the higher downforce and better traction of the Ferrari.

Next question marks are Miami (I haven’t researched what the track is like) and Azerbaijan, although there traction is king with top speed too with all the 90 degree turns.

Time will tell. Fingers crossed and best of luck to Binotto and team. I have been super impressed by them this season, and to be honest very proud

Andres125sx

wowgr8 wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 09:09
That Red Bull efficiency was really scary. They had 2019 Ferrari speed on the straight but without the drawbacks of poor race pace and corner performance

Ferrari might be forced to react to that and compromise in the future, the higher df config didn't prove advantageous in qualifying and it also crippled Charles in combat

Back in 2019 I remember Mercedes didn't compromise on their downforce choices, how will Ferrari respond? It will be interesting to see
Did Pérez and Max have same aero configuration?

Maybe it was just Max who went for a race setup (low df) while the Ferraris and Perez had a higher df setup. Max was slower in Q and similar to Lecrerc in race. Perez was fastest in Q, but couldn't chase Sainz in race

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Very interesting interview out there
The part about his driving style, and his desire to win is nice.

wowgr8
wowgr8

Andres125sx wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 10:42

Did Pérez and Max have same aero configuration?

Maybe it was just Max who went for a race setup (low df) while the Ferraris and Perez had a higher df setup. Max was slower in Q and similar to Lecrerc in race. Perez was fastest in Q, but couldn't chase Sainz in race
Both Red Bulls were on the low downforce config, Max just had more pace esp on the hards

Mansell89
Mansell89

JPBD1990 wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 09:15
Mansell89 wrote:
Impressive weekend from Ferrari again- a great foundation and I wish them well in the development race against Newey. Two very good cars going at it.

My gut feel is that the smoother Red Bull might edge them as we head to Europe soon but it is so close and what a chance to build on this and fight for the title.
I can’t tell anymore if people (myself included) just expect Ferrari to be worse than the competition based on recent history, or based on something specific. Eg: the ‘smoother’ redbull in this example. Ferrari have been dominant in basically every corner type, and have been losing on the straights to redbull. If anything the next few tracks should favour the higher downforce and better traction of the Ferrari.

Next question marks are Miami (I haven’t researched what the track is like) and Azerbaijan, although there traction is king with top speed too with all the 90 degree turns.

Time will tell. Fingers crossed and best of luck to Binotto and team. I have been super impressed by them this season, and to be honest very proud
Yes I know what you mean. I’m probably not explaining myself well when I say “smoother”. Ferrari is riding kerbs beautifully as is RBR, but the control of porpoising from Red Bull I think will give them a slight edge on some of the undulating traditional European circuits. It’s a gut feel.

What a job by Ferrari though so far. PU looks good, car looks beautiful, and they have one heck of a start.

Very impressed.

At what point do we expect Mercedes, McLaren, Williams to begin to converge onto this sidepod approach of Ferrari or Red Bull?

wowgr8
wowgr8

Mercedes have confidence in their zeropods, I don't think they'll ditch them especially after putting so much time and money into them with the rocket cooling and such

JPower
JPower

Mansell89 wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 11:50
JPBD1990 wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 09:15
Mansell89 wrote:

Yes I know what you mean. I’m probably not explaining myself well when I say “smoother”. Ferrari is riding kerbs beautifully as is RBR, but the control of porpoising from Red Bull I think will give them a slight edge on some of the undulating traditional European circuits. It’s a gut feel.

What a job by Ferrari though so far. PU looks good, car looks beautiful, and they have one heck of a start.

Very impressed.

At what point do we expect Mercedes, McLaren, Williams to begin to converge onto this sidepod approach of Ferrari or Red Bull?
Ferrari already said they’ll be bringing a new floor to the car soon. So they will have the porpoising fixed most likely by Imola if not a little later while reclaiming some DF.

LM10
LM10

wowgr8 wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 09:09

The thing is that surprisingly tyre wear was not an issue for anyone in Jeddah. Hamilton started on Hards and stayed for 40 or even more laps on them (not sure about the exact number anymore) and he still didn’t have an obvious drop of pace.
So RedBull with their dragster setup combined with little tyre wear on this track had an advantage. Also Binotto said so:

#AMuS Mattia Binotto admitted that Ferrari didn't make the optimal setup choice in Jeddah:

"Red Bull was also driving with more downforce at first but then changed it [Saturday]. We stayed with our downforce level but unfortunately the tyre wear was not an issue in this race."

kimmmykim
kimmmykim

The team has massively improved. That many Ferrari fans feel bad about the win slipping away in the last few laps just shows how much improvement the team has seen. Last year we would have gladly settled for P2 and P3. Yesterday's overtake of Max on Leclerc didn't feel the same as Hamilton's on Leclerc in Silverstone last year, or on Hamilton on Sainz in Hungary. Yesterday was proof that Ferrari has arrived at the big boys' club.
It's more impressive as they are still running basically the same car they ran in Barcelona in February while Red Bull are on their second upgrade.
With two power tracks out of the way we wait see what Red Bull can do in tracks that need nigh downforce.

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk

LM10
LM10

Mansell89 wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 11:50

Very impressed.

RedBull seems to be the only team having solved porpoising completely - and by that I mean to the point that they can run their car as low as possible and still don't suffer from porpoising. This was particularly achieved by their significant upgrade package at the last day of pre season testing in Bahrain.

Ferrari as well as others know how not to induce porpoising too, but by doing so they need to accept compromises in other areas. This will continue until we see the first major upgrades and I'm sure all teams will adress the porpoising issue in the first place. Ferrari will bring their first upgraded floor and probably some other bits to one of the European races and the aim will be to solve the porpoising like RedBull did.

It's a good sign that Ferrari is at least as fast as RedBull despite having not upgraded their car yet since pre season testing and especially having not fully solved porpoising.

codetower

kimmmykim wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 14:23
The team has massively improved. That many Ferrari fans feel bad about the win slipping away in the last few laps just shows how much improvement the team has seen. Last year we would have gladly settled for P2 and P3. Yesterday's overtake of Max on Leclerc didn't feel the same as Hamilton's on Leclerc in Silverstone last year, or on Hamilton on Sainz in Hungary. Yesterday was proof that Ferrari has arrived at the big boys' club.
It's more impressive as they are still running basically the same car they ran in Barcelona in February while Red Bull are on their second upgrade.
With two power tracks out of the way we wait see what Red Bull can do in tracks that need nigh downforce.

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk
Gladly "settled" for P2/P3 last year? I would have been celebrating!

I completely agree with you, this year is a wonderful improvement. I do feel bad, but coming from where we were the last few years, to .5 seconds behind the reigning champion, after a great battle, in the 2nd race of the year, it still feels good. I think it feels good because of the direction we are going. Small incremental improvements and Ferrari will have more than arrived at the big boys club, Ferrari will be the big boy at the club for the next few years.