2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RonMexico
RonMexico

Re: Mercedes W13

This might be the worng thread but what is Allison's role with the F1 team now? I thought he stepped back from the TD job

InsaneX_Badger

Re: Mercedes W13

RonMexico wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 20:16
This might be the worng thread but what is Allison's role with the F1 team now? I thought he stepped back from the TD job
He is now Chief Technical Officer.

Cocles

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Mattchu wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 19:53
InsaneX_Badger wrote:
29 Mar 2022, 10:01
With Merc owning a third of the team. Do they completely own HPP?
Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains Limited is a wholly owned subsidary of Mercedes Benz Uk Limited with the ultimate controlling party Daimler AG.
On February 1st this year, Daimler AG changed their name to "Mercedes-Benz Group AG".

SuperCNJ
SuperCNJ

I don't consider myself a Merc fan though I do have a lot of admiration for the way the team operates and conducts themselves over the years. I might be wrong but I'm just quite surprised by the number of negative posts implying the team are pretty much dead in the water this year and even alluding to the possibility of them quitting of F1. :o

I mean, let's look at the facts.

1. We have had 2 out of 22 races.
2. The car has been operating with a significant handicap for 2 races yet is 2nd in the constructors
3. The team knows what the problem is and knows how to fix it.
4. The team decided on this concept as it has the best development potential - so there is a lot more to come.
5. James said that the porpoising is not caused by aero which suggests it is not a fundamental issue with the aero concept. But supposing there was, now they have seen what others have done, and given the tight packaging of the Mercs internals allowing greater variations, they must have assessed their concept against others but the fact they have still stuck with this zero-pod design instead of going back to the Barcelona spec suggests this is the right concept.
6. Bahrain and Saudi were tracks that rewards low drag - given the drag deficit of the Merc in its current temporary and compromised form, the results weren't actually that bad. I think on a track where overtaking was easier, Hamilton would have finished much higher up in Saudi.
7. Having won 8 constructors titles, consecutively, they must know a thing or two about building a fast car.
8. You don't need to have the fastest car all season to win championships.

If there is one thing you learn about sport, is it's never over until it's over. :wink:

NicoS

SuperCNJ wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 02:46
I don't consider myself a Merc fan though I do have a lot of admiration for the way the team operates and conducts themselves over the years. I might be wrong but I'm just quite surprised by the number of negative posts implying the team are pretty much dead in the water this year and even alluding to the possibility of them quitting of F1. :o

2. The car has been operating with a significant handicap for 2 races yet is 2nd in the constructors
4. The team decided on this concept as it has the best development potential - so there is a lot more to come.
5. James said that the porpoising is not caused by aero which suggests it is not a fundamental issue with the aero concept. But supposing there was, now they have seen what others have done, and given the tight packaging of the Mercs internals allowing greater variations, they must have assessed their concept against others but the fact they have still stuck with this zero-pod design instead of going back to the Barcelona spec suggests this is the right concept.
6. Bahrain and Saudi were tracks that rewards low drag - given the drag deficit of the Merc in its current temporary and compromised form, the results weren't actually that bad. I think on a track where overtaking was easier, Hamilton would have finished much higher up in Saudi.
7. Having won 8 constructors titles, consecutively, they must know a thing or two about building a fast car.

If there is one thing you learn about sport, is it's never over until it's over. :wink:
You have really only listed 1 fact:

The rest is just a collection of your thoughts.

zibby43
zibby43

NicoS wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 04:36
SuperCNJ wrote:

They're all facts, with supplementary informed opinions sprinkled in.

But, thanks for playing.

erudite450
erudite450

zibby43 wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 06:31
NicoS wrote:
SuperCNJ wrote:

But, thanks for playing.
Zibby, I wouldn't waste my breath replying to him.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

The ICE part of the power unit including turbo, fuel and oil is locked. It has been said that the Mercedes engine is contributing at least two tenths in lap time deficit of the car. How are Mercedes going to claw that back?

NicoS

zibby43 wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 06:31
NicoS wrote:
SuperCNJ wrote:

But, thanks for playing.
A factual statement will quantify "significant" and describe "handicap", "facts" are verifiable.

Again ,just a feeling of hope- no problem description, no solution description. Nothing "verifiable"

What is the potential, what is "a lot more to come"? 0.25, 0.5, 0.75, 1.0 sec? - "facts" are supported by verifiable data!!

once you use the words "suggest", "must have" you are not being factual but speculative.

Again using the words "i think" makes the statement opinionated or speculative. facts are verifiable, no verifiable data supplied to factually support your thoughts.

using the word "must" makes this statement hopeful, not factual. if something was true in the past, it does not make it the future "fact:

Real fact: No car that has been more than 0.3 seconds off the pace has ever won a championship.
You need a fast car over the season.

Sevach
Sevach

Big Mercedes thread from Amus.

silver
silver

Sevach wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 10:56
https://twitter.com/Vetteleclerc/status ... gZleb3j6jQ
Interesting to see that there would be a new rear wing, hopefully soon. Would that produce the same downforce like the one they have, minus the drag would be the question. They cannot afford to lose the downforce for getting rid of drag.

NicoS

silver wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 11:42
Sevach wrote:
Interesting to see that there would be a new rear wing, hopefully soon. Would that produce the same downforce like the one they have, minus the drag would be the question. They cannot afford to lose the downforce for getting rid of drag.
Ferrari also suddenly developed a "draggy" car after they were caught out with "grey" area PU.

f1jcw
f1jcw

NicoS wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 12:02
silver wrote:
Sevach wrote:
Ferrari also suddenly developed a "draggy" car after they were caught out with "grey" area PU.
Previously, you made a big deal about "Facts"
So, can we please have your facts for suggesting that the Merc PU has being illegal?

NicoS

f1jcw wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 12:22
NicoS wrote:
silver wrote:
So, can we please have your facts for suggesting that the Merc PU has being illegal?
I never stated Mercedes PU is illegal. I just reminded all of the fact that Ferrari, when they got caught out, their car became draggy.

f1jcw
f1jcw

NicoS wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 12:26
f1jcw wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 12:22
NicoS wrote:

I never stated Mercedes PU is illegal. I just reminded all of the fact that Ferrari, when they got caught out, their car became draggy.
As you very well know, it is called "insinuating"
I'll ask again, as you are so in favour of "facts" and brought someone up on that.

Lets here facts for your insinuations