2022 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, April 08 - 10

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Mogster

Re: 2022 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, April 08 - 10

Wouter wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 22:37
search wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 22:18
Big Tea wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 22:02

What would be very interesting is if Hulk got to drive that car. Some have waited s long time for that comparison
that would be interesting indeed, but I doubt he is around? Nor is Fittipaldi though, by the look of it. So no idea who would drive the car in case things get worse for Magnussen

edit: Fittipaldi (same as Giovinazzi) is indeed not in Australia. I guess the seat would go to Kubica then.
Someone mentioned today Oscar Piastri. He is the reserve driver for the Alpine F1 Team and a reserve driver for McLaren F1 Team and he is in Melbourne at the moment.
Piastri’s family come from Melbourne iirc, it would be very cool for him to step in. I assume he wouldn’t have a seat though, or any knowledge of the Ferrari PU, or well, anything…

Magicsenna_41
Magicsenna_41

Juzh wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 15:22
leclerc fp2 1.18.978 - porposing like mad on back straight from 270+ kmh. Probably the worst I've seen from ferrari so far. Curiously it doesn't seem to be affecting them much on main straight.
https://streamable.com/09za8i

looks like the Ferrari is less porposing on the second straight down to T11?

Artur Craft

dialtone wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 19:35

Haas seemed out of pace, and judging by Mick's telemetry, basically the only one I can gather from FastF1, for some reason MAG's doesn't work, but they took it exceedingly easy on corners. I think having only 2 cars means they are really optimizing for still having 2 cars right before quali. Their pace will probably again look similar to Alfa Romeo during quali.
Yeah, on f1-tempo, MAG laps aren´t loading either, just Mick´s quickest lap.

I generally agree with what you said. Haas(MAG) should be up there with Sauber. Mick is not a good reference right now because, on Bahrain, he lost the whole gap on 2 corners, basically. 2 tenths in T1 and 3 on T8. Looking at the telemetry, Mick is usually slightly quicker than MAG on high speed corners but get´s slaughtered on some tight ones.

I think Mick will drop out on Q1 already(first time at this circuit plus his lack of confidence after the crash, afterall, you can´t destroy another car, you gotta take it easy now) but MAG will be easily on Q3, if he is fit enough for it.

Changes to the track will make it a DRS fest. I think it´s time for us to make a poll here about DRS. On some other places I checked, the vast majority are asking for it to go, surprisingly

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

My prediction: Ferrari fast, Red Bull fast, Mercedes not fast. Thank me later.

kptaylor
kptaylor

Agreed, but Sky and F1TV will continue to compare Hamilton's lap time to Leclerc and Verstappen every 10 minutes...

Madhouse

kptaylor wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 01:17
Agreed, but Sky and F1TV will continue to compare Hamilton's lap time to Leclerc and Verstappen every 10 minutes...
That is the worst thing this year... They just cannot stop talking about him.

Chuckjr

Brundle was doing an on track segment and it opened with some fan holding up a giant face of Lewis. Camera pans away to Martin and he tells the fan to put the face back up again and the camera to go back to it and look at it again while he sighs how wonderful it is. Good god. These people worship that guy like he’s some kind of golden calf. It’s disgusting. He’s the byproduct of an unbeatable car. The end.
Watching F1 since 1986.

f1jcw
f1jcw

Chuckjr wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 01:56
Brundle was doing an on track segment and it opened with some fan holding up a giant face of Lewis. Camera pans away to Martin and he tells the fan to put the face back up again and the camera to go back to it and look at it again while he sighs how wonderful it is. Good god. These people worship that guy like he’s some kind of golden calf. It’s disgusting. He’s the byproduct of an unbeatable car. The end.
Seriously, hush, your hate towards someone is boring and embarrassing.
They are all products of their cars, not sure why you and others feel the continuous need to point that out in the case of Lewis, but at least his WDCs was down to him and his team.

organic

dialtone
dialtone

That would be a good idea. I hope they follow through.

wogx

Lets give it a try, we can scrap it for 2023. We won't see 4 zones in near future
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

Chuckjr

f1jcw wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 02:12
Chuckjr wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 01:56
Seriously, hush, your hate towards someone is boring and embarrassing.
They are all products of their cars, not sure why you and others feel the continuous need to point that out in the case of Lewis, but at least his WDCs was down to him and his team.
Keep telling yourself that big guy. :lol:
Watching F1 since 1986.

organic

Yes they have removed a DRS zone

dialtone
dialtone

I agree with them. No run off area, long left hander, Merc has a lot of wheel wobble, Ferrari porpoising a lot, other teams probably not being so stable, I can't imagine an overtake being super safe there without the wing, and it's long enough that it could even happen with 3 cars for maximum unsafety.

organic

dialtone wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 04:51
I agree with them. No run off area, long left hander, Merc has a lot of wheel wobble, Ferrari porpoising a lot, other teams probably not being so stable, I can't imagine an overtake being super safe there without the wing, and it's long enough that it could even happen with 3 cars for maximum unsafety.
Might porpoising become worse with the wing closed in this section now?