2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
deadhead

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

dialtone wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 17:48
SAI seems to be able to use the car a bit more than LEC who instead had a pretty scrappy lap despite the best time, especially in S3 there's a lot more to be found.
thanks for posting that! So what made LEC's lap faster? I'm not quite seeing where he made up time

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 18:15
saviour stivala wrote:
05 Apr 2022, 07:03
‘’Why are you saying that the MGU-K is part of the braking system’’. First of all. Because the introduction of the hybrid system statement in 2014 say/declares MGU-K will harvest energy from the brakes that would otherwise goes to waste. Secondly. Because as you say ‘’the MGU-K harvest functions are integrated into the braking system’’ this as per the hybrid intentions re the ‘’K’’ will harvest energy from the brakes that would otherwise goes to waste
When it comes to slowing the car the MGUK is just fancy engine braking.
[/quo

MGU-K – The engine management (computer) adds power to the ‘’K’’ according to throttle position.
MGU-K – The engine management (computer) subtracts power (harvests) from MGU-K according to brake pedal position.
The extra braking power of the MGU-K when harvesting added to that of what was already there befor its introduction, engine braking plus car drag/aero retardation. necessitated a drastic reduction in the size of the rear brakes as well as a sofecticated electronic hydraulic pedal pressure control to the rear brakes. No doubt that as intended by the hybrid formulation, the 'K' harvests energy from the rear brakes that would otherewise have gone to waste. And so no doubt that harvesting by any other means other than by the rear brakes is trick harvesting totally contrary to the scope of the F1 hybrid formula.

LM10
LM10

There was hardly a car that bounced more on the straights than the F1-75, but despite that, Charles & Carlos were fast.

The competition was surprised: "They [Ferrari] don't seem to mind the bouncing."
#tami.

I think this was the standout. We've seen it in the first couple of races too, but even more today. Despite of the extensive porpoising the Ferrari was showing, it's stability was nothing short of amazing.

dialtone
dialtone

deadhead wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 20:26
dialtone wrote:
SAI seems to be able to use the car a bit more than LEC who instead had a pretty scrappy lap despite the best time, especially in S3 there's a lot more to be found.
thanks for posting that! So what made LEC's lap faster? I'm not quite seeing where he made up time
By the looks of it he was a decent chunk faster in all of S1, didn't do great in T6 but had a great straight and all the way up to T11 he was better, then from T11 onwards SAI just did better.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

saviour stivala wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 20:46
MGU-K – The engine management (computer) adds power to the ‘’K’’ according to throttle position.
MGU-K – The engine management (computer) subtracts power (harvests) from MGU-K according to brake pedal position.
well ....
there's accelerator pedal position - and a 2-d accelerator-to-PU-torque map - and automated shifting
there's a brake pedal - and brake hydraulic pressure

deadhead

dialtone wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 00:31
deadhead wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 20:26
dialtone wrote:
By the looks of it he was a decent chunk faster in all of S1, didn't do great in T6 but had a great straight and all the way up to T11 he was better, then from T11 onwards SAI just did better.
I see it now thanks, those are kind of hard to read.

Perhaps LEC can clean it up for pole and max out the package, or Sainz can do it.. I just want to see what the car can do

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Shal_Leg16
Shal_Leg16

Spoutnik wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 10:03

imo pressure is getting to him, he pushed it too hard and lost the car, if he had issue with cold tires he should have went for a safe lap that would still put him on p4-p5 . instead he went for Glory. thats all.
Last edited by Shal_Leg16 on 09 Apr 2022, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

wowgr8
wowgr8

He should have put in a "safe" lap considering he was in 9th or wherever he was. Risking it for PP was not wise. Probably inexperience at the front showing

LM10
LM10

Sainz was extremely unlucky his lap didn’t count because of the red flag right before he made it through the finish line. That lap would have put him on P4 obviously. There clearly was an issue because while Leclerc was on the track already, Sainz still stayed in the pits. So he didn’t have a proper warm up.

As for the pole of Charles… amazing lap there and what a beast of a car! Now let’s finish it tomorrow and please no crashes.
I hope Sainz can make it to P4 at least.

wowgr8
wowgr8

Sainz actually said the car has a warm-up problem and that's what cost him because he needed 2 laps. The race will be a long one... no doubt Red Bull will try and sandwich Charles with strategy and we know they're difficult to overtake. Will definitely be a big challenge. Formu1a said Ferrari slightly raised the PU level from Jeddah I hope that makes a difference when it comes to attacking/defending

f1316
f1316

For me the most encouraging thing about Ferrari’s form is that they seem to be able to run at the front while clearly also being suboptimal - which implies a good runway for improvement.

The porpoising is pretty severe in Australia and while it doesn’t unsettle them in the corners, it will clearly affect ultimate speed. If it’s also the case that (I) the car is overweight (ii) the power unit isn’t fully turned up (iii) the new floor will enable them to run the intend ride height, then that’s a lot of untapped potential.

wowgr8
wowgr8

Indeed. I really hope they can find a quick fix for the porpoising because otherwise Red Bull will run away once they lose that extra weight. RB's Imola package is apparently worth 4 tenths and that's from weight alone before aero gains

JPower
JPower

I wonder if they'll put Sainz on an aggressive two stop strategy. Or will it be better for him to manage his tires into an overcut? He seemed to have good luck with the latter strategy last year in similar situations to this one. Either way, he should have enough pace to make his way back up front if things go well.

I don't see things being easy for Leclerc up front, just like last race. Max will be hounding him as usual. Let's hope he sees more aggressive tire deg because of it.

Shal_Leg16
Shal_Leg16

lookes like Mr. Consistent is struggling as soon as some pressure is upon him.

imo last year he was void of this . Accept it or not he was a wingman appointment. nobody was expecting him to challenge or lead the team . If he clicked ( which he did good for him ) its win-win, if he didn't nobody would mind as long as he didnt really struggled with the car.