2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
deadhead

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Shal_Leg16 wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 09:14
imo these 3 races are enough to conclude LEC16 has it in him to win multiple races, titles etc. can lead a race from pole to start to finish without pressure getting to him. Ferrari were right on him.
I think he proved that against Hamilton at Monza.. I know it wasn't the cleanest racing from him, but the pressure there was immense and he held up, that was all I needed to see to know that he is the deal.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Shal_Leg16 wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 16:53
ferkan wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 13:04
Alonsismo wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 12:59
if Ferrari keeps the pace, Sainz will be 2022 WDC.

Sainz is better than Leclerc.
in qualy leclerc is only 0.05-0.1s faster, but leclercs race pace is worse than sainzs pace.
Sainz is not as good as Leclerc, let alone better him. Plus, if anything, difference in race pace looks bigger then in qualy.
he is just being sarcastic.
With a login name like "Alonsismo", it's also possible that OP is very partial to Spaniards :D . I don't think that's sarcasm....
A lion must kill its prey.

Big Tea

Swings and roundabouts guys. It evens out eventually even if not in one season. As long as both drivers see it as a team effort first, they will be fine.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Juzh

leclerc fastest lap 1.20.260. Almost perfect traffic gives him DRS 3 times + 1 big slipstream. He gained around 1.1s on straights compared to his previous best 1:20.9. Some of it will be down to fuel being burnt off, but obviously not nearly as much as from drs. Without this help i don't think he'd be able to beat alonso's 1:20.8
https://streamable.com/rgd7ry

dialtone
dialtone

Juzh wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 22:46
leclerc fastest lap 1.20.260. Almost perfect traffic gives him DRS 3 times + 1 big slipstream.
Thanks for the video! Yeah pretty lucky with the DRS, but still an almost perfect lap with 36 laps old tyres (checked on telemetry). I think even without DRS it would have been very close:

T1 and T6 are much better for Alonso, but every other corner is either even or LEC is on a different planet, and even the straights in which there's no DRS, LEC is a lot faster, but it could be saved deployment so... hard to know. From fresh mediums I would have expected more from Alonso in the corners.

Airshifter

Big Tea wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 20:50
Swings and roundabouts guys. It evens out eventually even if not in one season. As long as both drivers see it as a team effort first, they will be fine.
A reasoned team related post in the team thread?

One or two seasons does not make a driver. Leclerc is good, Sainz is good. Sometimes some pure luck comes into the picture, sometimes it is sheer driving talent. But even when it's luck it can get into the drivers head, and set them back for a while.

I do think currently Leclerc is understanding the car better, but that doesn't mean he will stay on top of it through the season. In either case the team has two strong drivers and barring too many mistakes like Sainz made at Albert Park, they have a car that should be capable of fighting for a WCC, and possible the WDC as well.

Rather than insult other forum members with caustic opinions, anyone that supports Ferrari should be celebrating that the team seems to have got it right so far this year.

Manfer
Manfer

Does anyone have any ideas why the car was not porpoising during this lap, where as it was jumping around from lap 1

wowgr8
wowgr8

Juzh wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 22:46
leclerc fastest lap 1.20.260. Almost perfect traffic gives him DRS 3 times + 1 big slipstream. He gained around 1.1s on straights compared to his previous best 1:20.9. Some of it will be down to fuel being burnt off, but obviously not nearly as much as from drs. Without this help i don't think he'd be able to beat alonso's 1:20.8
Side note but I don't like that cadence his RE uses. It sounds forced I wish he'd talk more "normal"

wowgr8
wowgr8

Manfer wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 02:19
Does anyone have any ideas why the car was not porpoising during this lap, where as it was jumping around from lap 1
Good question. I would've said lighter fuel but it was bouncing around in qualifying

silver
silver

A Ferrari insider's commented that, after the reliability program of the first two races, they decided to increase the engine power by 5hp. A second step will be in Spain.

https://www.formu1a.uno/ferrari-ha-alza ... e-a-imola/
Ferrari: for Australia, an increase in engine performance estimated at 5 HP has been approved
The small increase in performance, estimated at just over a tenth of a second, made it possible to fight for the pole position with greater chances, as well as to be able to generate more important speeds to defend against Verstappen in the race. Moreover, he indirectly could have helped Carlos Sainz in the comeback, through a strategy that he would certainly have paid without the Spaniard's mistake.

The engineers agreed with the pilots to produce more porpoising!

Vanja #66

In 2017 it was a very good start of the season for the team just like this year, but it was clear Mercedes is right there with the car. 2018 was almost as good, but not like 2017. In 2012 and 2010 it was mostly Alonso carrying the team and his racing opportunism which got the team close to WDC. 2007 was a good start, but not as good like this year for Kimi, the leading driver.

We'd really have to go back to 2004 for a better start of the season for the team and leading driver, especially regarding the points advantage over the competition. Of course the team will deny they can and should win the C'ships after 3 races, but realistically with a start like this - both are theirs to lose. They should embrace this and work hard not to allow themselves another loss, just like RB and Merc did in the previous 12 seasons.

And more importantly than anything else, they must think about the Tifosi, how many out there can handle a 6th heart attack in 15 years :mrgreen:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Andres125sx

Mr.S wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 10:44
When will people accept that last year Sainz had a historically lucky year & Leclerc had disastrous luck.
OMG what championship did you watch? Reading this after a season where 95% of pitstop problems for Ferrari in 2021 were in Sainz side of the garaje looks almost comical

Go and watch 2021 season again please #-o

Andres125sx

wowgr8 wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 09:08
Hmmm. Trying to deflect blame there. A poor start isn't a reason to spin out.
A poor start, due to a mechanical failure. The car didn´t read torque correctly and anti-stall quicked in. That does not justify the spin, but at tracks like this were overtaking is difficult, a poor start can ruin anyone´s race, so it´s normal he was trying to recover some lost positions so his race was not too compromised.

Still a driver mistake obvioulsy, but his first lap in Q3 was ruined by the red flag few meters before finsihing his
first attempt, wich would have been good enough to secure p4 at least. Then car failed in second attempt so he was forced to do the most important lap with cold tires, so grid position was compromised both by luck and car problems. Then car failed at the start again so race position was even more compromised, and he was forced to assume higher risks than normal. Add to that hard tires and it´s an extremelly complicated scenario for any driver

Driver mistake, agree, but he was forced to take more risks than normal due to unlucky red flag and two (minor) car failures wich hugely compromised his race.

Sainz mistake, but also two Ferrari car failures and some bad luck. Context is important

But some people will say this was an extremelly lucky race for Carlos wich he ruined himself :lol:

dialtone
dialtone

Thought this was a cool graph to check

LEC v LEC from FP1 and Q:

Primary reason why I think it's cool is just to see what changes in the telemetry between a quali run and a low engine mode run.

In almost all straights, except the backstraight, the engine speed keeps climbing till the braking point, I think the back straight was to do with removal of DRS of course, and maybe porpoising doesn't help either.

shorter upshifts as well was something that was very visible in the first telemetry, braking and throttle points have minimal differences, in some cases he brakes earlier (last corners) and in some cases he brakes later (first corners).

In some key straights the engine RPM is pushed higher when in 8th gear much faster, like the straight to T6.

Andres125sx

Very interesting indeed. But I think the differences are related to min corner speed too.

Any corner above 140kmh min speed have a reduced min speed of close to 20kmh, and that´s related to tire managing. To be slower on a fast corner, you need to brake sooner. And since you start next straight slower, the whole straight will be slower too. Obvioulsy the energy use is different too so they´ll accelerate faster, but I´d say main difference is the speed at the start of the straight and min speed of next corner