Trap Speed

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ISLAMATRON

Trap Speed

The Force Indias of Sutil & Fisi have consistanly been at the top of the trap speed charts,(with the STR's just after them)... Also Hamilton, Alonso & Massa were consistently up there as well.

What does the this tell us about the cars and also about the importance of the top trap speed seeing that the FIF1's & the STR's have had the worst track times this weekend, while those are considered 3 of the top drivers.

http://www.formula1.com/results/season/ ... _trap.html

Scotracer
Scotracer

Re: Trap Speed

To me it means they can't really complain about a lack of downforce because they have such a speed advantage. They could just increase the AoA to compensate and have the same top speed at the others.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Scotracer wrote:To me it means they can't really complain about a lack of downforce because they have such a speed advantage. They could just increase the AoA to compensate and have the same top speed at the others.
You assume that they can RUN more AoA. It's possible they're max'd out and running more will yield less DF and more drag.

All sorts of possibilities...
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Scotracer
Scotracer

It's a possibility but I'd like to hope they have more AoA available for balance reasons.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

Ciro Pabón

A month ago I was more or less thinking more what JTom explains, so, as usual, I compared the numbers. Rear wings are so small this year, and I guess they have an influence on rear grip, but...

It seems to me that something has been going on since last year. Last year fastest cars seem to me to be among the winners. All the contrary has happened this year. I ended thinking what Tom says: too many variables. However, here you have some food for thought:

R=Race, Q1/Q2/Q3=Qualys, P=Practice

No top speeds in Q3. Why?

Excel file: http://sigbrio.googlepages.com/SepangTo ... 8-2009.xls
(source: FIA site data. Graph ordered by top speed in 2009, except Sato & Davidson)

If someone is truly interested I could make another graph comparing results & speeds, but I'm just browsing the forum right now. This evening is glorious... 8)
Ciro

Belatti
Belatti

Ciro Pabón wrote: If someone is truly interested I could make another graph comparing results & speeds, but I'm just browsing the forum right now. This evening is glorious...
Ciro, it would be nice to have a comparison between one of the apex speed in some corners sometimes they measure and that top speed you posted. I know I know you can take a different line and wont be reflexed there but... what other data do we have???
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

ISLAMATRON

I can never find where they put those apex speed stats